Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gary, I've been a big fan of MDC (Model Die Casting) and their kit locomotives, including the 2 Truck Shay and assembled a couple of them
Hey Trussrod, ran the Shay this morning at Brian’s home layout! It worked and looked great! The Shay, 2 log cars and the caboose for $100 with DCC installed. He has an awesome layout as well, sad that he is moving, it would have been great modelling with him. Some pics of the new train purchased and some pics of his layout. Some of Brian’s structures are scratchbuilt and weathered, the bluenose built from scratch as well.

5F8D76DC-BA57-4764-8232-3D2C54488CBA.jpeg

9B9E86F6-21A2-479A-BAC1-2B0AB5DC2B3F.jpeg

FE97C9C6-2097-413A-89EC-0F417CB580C5.jpeg

0604DFED-C899-4243-BD37-30FA2B7F0F13.jpeg

893DB544-DACA-49D9-AF93-30E7C87437B8.jpeg

10935F8E-373E-44E8-8497-D4BAB7A5E721.jpeg

0D1D8F14-8658-4515-97F1-EC6AAA692178.jpeg

202A4E85-EC29-422E-8CB7-F4AD4261DBEA.jpeg

Hey Trussrod, ran the Shay this morning at Brian’s home layout! It worked and looked great! The Shay, 2 log cars and the caboose for $100 with DCC installed. He has an awesome layout as well, sad that he is moving, it would have been great modelling with him. Some pics of the new train purchased and some pics of his layout. Some of Brian’s structures are scratchbuilt and weathered, the bluenose built from scratch as well.

View attachment 157496

View attachment 157497
View attachment 157498

View attachment 157499
View attachment 157500

View attachment 157501
View attachment 157502
View attachment 157503
Always sad when a layout comes down

Used to be years ago, some states would gather up fresh roadkill and serve it up for homeless shelters. I have no idea what qualified the roadkill for human consumption.
Wisconsin used to have contractors in each county pick up the road kill. When that stopped (early 90’s ?)people all of a sudden noticed the dead animals and complained. It was then decided the County road crews would pick them up. Rightfully so, the Crews refused as it was not in the contracts and they were not properly equipped or trained. Now the police decide if the road kill is a hazard and if it’s on the shoulder it’s left for the carrion to eat it away!

Wisconsin used to have contractors in each county pick up the road kill. When that stopped (early 90’s ?)people all of a sudden noticed the dead animals and complained. It was then decided the County road crews would pick them up. Rightfully so, the Crews refused as it was not in the contracts and they were not properly equipped or trained. Now the police decide if the road kill is a hazard and if it’s on the shoulder it’s left for the carrion to eat it away!
I have seen animals on the side where flies have infested the body usually the haunches, I agree that people who are not trained and do not have the correct facilities should not be handling such stuff,the problem is people used to have jobs looking after the land and land management of animals was taken seriously as a hazard, but nowadays with the you must not kill this that o r the other people do not want to be associated/blamed and animals that are road kill or even injured are left which is frankly awful. plus of course there is not the issue of how to dispose at one time you could leave it for carrion in a safer spot or just bury it,nowadays all the rules forbid these type of actions and Marge fines can occur, so again people just go past and think not my problem not getting involved.

Louis: Mikey D's used to fry their fries in beef tallow. Then the militant vegans got their way. They quit tasting as good when that happened. Now there are better places for then.

DQ and BK put a coating on their fries, so they taste less like potato. I prefer peanut oil or lard anymore. The wife's cardiologist prefers neither nor it's vegetable oil replacement. So we don't do either very often.
Seed oils which are referred to as vegetable oils which is a lie, turn into trans fats the first time you heat them, so then you are contaminating your food with bad trans fats, and it has been proven that saturated fats are not bad for you or ŷour health and do not cause cancer thus it is much healthier to eat beef tallow or pork fat, and it satisfies your hunger pains way faster than the seed oils.
fyi even olive oil and coconut oil are best only cooked once, if at all, olive oil is best used as an uncooked dressing even though they advertise different uses.

Morning all,

Ripping CD's to my computer so I can copy them to a USB drive to work in the Equinox. My USB Christmas thumb drive turned up missing and when I removed the files from the old computer, I forgot to move them. I hate a certain Christmas whiney song that the local station seems to enjoy playing multiple times an hour by various artists. I was in Wal-Mart this morning and their station played it 3 times in a row by 3 different groups for 3 different Wal-Mart employees. I guess I'm a grinch.

Grandson did something that had me laughing this morning when the wife told me. Apparently the scout troop had a lock-in with a "Dirty Santa"
exchange. He wasn't going to wrap his present but his dad said he'd wrap it for him and to get Christmas wrap. It was Disney Princess wrapping paper. Wife said he probably couldn't find the other paper, I'm pretty sure he thought it would be pretty funny

Taking the kids, their spouses and grandkids out for lunch in a bit. The kids are turning 36 on Monday and it's a tradition that got canceled the last 2 years. Then the wife wants to put some flowers on a couple of graves, so I need something that isn't "Last Christmas" or 15 minutes of commercials between every 3 songs because they're an "All Christmas" station.

Willie: Glad to hear your both fine. Locally we have to call the sheriff when we have an accident with deer, so they can make sure the animal isn't causing traffic issues and have a report for insurance.

BBL

Willie, holy mackerel Andy! I'm so glad you both are ok, thank God. You did well, it could have been so much worse. Try not to let the incident upset you. I have been trying to not let things bother me so much. I think to myself "it is what it is, and I can't do anything about it. Why be upset?" I'm not particularly good at it, but I'm trying!

LASM, I thought French fries and gravy was a Baltimore thing! I'm with you, fries are good, ketchup, gravy or just with salt, all good! No mayonnaise, thank you.

Jaz, according to my wife and the Mayo Clinic canola oil is safe. For me personally, I don't care. :D I don't eat too much of anything. I do drink more coffee than most and I eat a couple of hotdogs more often than most. I cut back on ham and other cured meats. I even buy Oscar Mayer uncured hotdogs! If coffee and hotdogs kill me, so be it. You got to die of something! Thank you for always sharing your knowledge. It is nice to know you care. God Bless you.

My Hungarian mother-in-law liked mayonnaise with her fries. I know of several Americans who like mayonnaise with their fries. I think it is a matter of personal taste, nothing to do with nationality.

I have never lived anywhere but Baltimore. But I have traveled enough to see people are people, no matter where I have been. We are all God's people; some just don't know it.

God Bless Us, Everyone.

Good afternoon all, just back from our shopping trip to St. Paul, no issues,

Willie - your vehicle has very little damage considering the buck that intersected with it

TomO - we only got a dusting of snow in Sandstone, just rain in the twin cities

Jaz - mud on the trailer tires very convincing! great detail

I am still kind of charged up from our whirlwind shopping spree. Got new pants, new shoes, stuff from Hobby Lobby and Scale Model Supplies, plus several other stores. Wife and I both had enough

Here is a random photo from this afternoon also some in the RFP, will have more time tomorrow to browse the forum

IMG_2942r.JPG

I see the roof is coming unglued a little, wagon is over 10 yrs old so no biggie, must be the bumpy roads on the layout...

Dave LASM

View attachment 157496

View attachment 157497
View attachment 157498

View attachment 157499
View attachment 157500

View attachment 157501
View attachment 157502
View attachment 157503
Looks great Gary

I just went downtown to buy some Elmers white glue and every store I went to was out. I needed to finish up some track roadbed ballast.
Swal
I have had trouble getting Elmer's White Glue or Glue All for a couple of months now. School Glue is available, but it is too watered down for me to use. I did score a bottle of White Glue on my last visit to Hobby Lobby though.

Good Evening All. Pretty much rained all damn day, albeit lightly mostly. There's is 1.4" in the gauge in 12 hours. From what I can judge by the radar movement, it will continue for another 3 hours or so.
Drove the 1.25 miles to the mail box this afternoon, no deer in sight either along the road or close by in the fields on either side. Like I posted, he was rather large and must have survived. Or someone drove by and claimed him for themselves. Interestingly there is some decrepit furniture stacked there, kind of like a roadside memorial that his fellow deer built!;) It was not there yesterday or last night. I didn't get out and look for blood as it was raining. Rain and hearing aids don't mix. A badly placed raindrop can screw them up forever.
Meanwhile, the yard is getting fertilized by an especially large flock of robins who came by Wednesday and have stayed. There must be over 500 of them. They have been cleaning up the wild sunflower seed heads along the road and the hackberries from the trees in the fence lines. They're rather noisy in the morning, but it is a pleasant chorus. Right now, they are all quietly roosting in the trees. Bobcats find them delicious, hence the silence. As I recall from the past, they'll be here for another 3-4 days. I think that the Cardinals who live here year round find them quite intrusive.

Good Night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back