Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Last time I went for a stress test, I'd got myself all prepared by pounding up and down the 4 floors of the local shopping centre's pedestrian ramps over the previous month or so and I felt well and truly ready for it. Was very miffed when they insisted on giving me the injection to speed my heart up and they only set the treadmill to a gentle stroll. Hate that injection, makes you feel like you're having a panic attack.

Morning guy's 70 hear this morning little overcast, hope all are well you are so right Bill never forget. Hope everyone has a good day congratulations on Jeffrey's new grandbaby time for a pop tart and another cup of coffee ok ya'll I'll be around.

Chris,

Morning All,

I remember dropping off a patient in the ER and walking through the waiting room to use the bathroom and the first plane had hit but the newscasters were still saying it was a light plane and then watching as the second plane hit...The world would never be the same again. At my last job one of my best friends was a EMT there that day and his psyche is scarred by it.

Today the only plans are to go back to the train museum and to start figuring out what needs to be done. The layout is DC powered. Is there anyone here that models in DC that is willing to answer questions since I do DCC at home and the club?

I will also spend some time thinking about what happened on this day and what has occurred since then and say prayers for those that have passed on.

Take care.

September 11, 2001.

My wife and I were in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We had flown to there on September 9 from Nashville, TN via American Airlines changing planes in Boston.

We spent 9/11 watching the horrors on TV from our hotel room. About 50 trans-Atlantic flights were diverted to the Halifax airport because flights could not enter the USA.

After watching what happened, we knew we would not want to fly home even if it was allowed. Thousands of people were trying to find ways back to the USA. Some formed groups and were charting buses. We considered that. We asked the car rental company if we could drive our rented car home, and were told it would be over $3,000. Forget that. The ferry boat from NS to Maine was another option, but we did not do that.

We were able to obtain tickets on Via Rail several days later. We took VIA's Ocean to Montreal. Then we rode VIA to Toronto. In Toronto we spent 2 nights at a hotel before boarding an Amtrak's International which we rode to Flint, MI. There we rented a car which we drove one-way to Nashville.

This photo is one I took in the dome-observation car on VIA's Ocean soon after departing from Halifax.

VIA1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
September 11th. I don't think I'll ever forget that day. I was busy running my paper route. Two hundred miles a day, five days a week. I was about halfway through it. Listening to NPR Morning Edition as was usual for me. They had special report come up which was unusual for NPR. It stated that a small plane had hit the World Trade Center. A little while later it was changed to state that the plane was an airliner. Not long after that a report came through that the second tower had been hit by another airliner and that the Pentagon had also been hit. I went on about my business until I got to Burr Ferry. Stopped at Peavy's store. He had his TV on CNN where by that time the reporter was getting hoarse. We both watched as the towers fell. Since that day I haven't logged even as much as an inch in the air in anything bigger than a single engine Cessna.

It's 82° with 86% humidity. The high will be 95° with a small chance of thunderstorms.
pcloudy-1.jpg
with
cond20.jpg

Gotta go see the cardiologist this morning then call the hospital to reschedule my foot surgery. Other than that I have no plans.

P1010061.jpg

P1010385.jpg

P1010357.jpg

Curt, If you post a new thread with your question there are several great modelers who can help you with DC trains.

Garry, that is a great picture!

Jeffery, great pictures as always! I love the intermodal stuff!!! Is that yellow straight truck by any chance a Ryder truck?
Let us know how you make out with the stress test. I had that injection and all it did was give me a headache it did not even raise my blood pressure. I have had maybe a half a dozen head aches in my life. Maybe my big head is the reason I don't get headaches? No matter what it is I thank God I don't get them!

As for 9/11 I can't speak much about it because it infuriates me still to this day. I thank God I was not President because I would have used nuclear weapons on those crowds of animals dancing/celebrating in the streets all over the middle east.

tootnkumin, I had a stress test last year.
I could not do the tread mill thing.
I got the injection.
I thought I was going to die right there in the chair
They told me after 2 minutes the medicine would be out of my system.
It felt more like 30 to 45 minutes to me.

Evening All,

MOH made homemade chicken pot pie for supper so I am drinking my post supper coffee. After taking a really close look at the museum layout the person controlling the monies decided to go DCC. Based on this I am doing research for them about the best price. I am looking at the Digitrax Zephyr Xtra. It is what I use and they will only be running 1-2 small trains at a time so they won't need a remote throttle and associated hardware.

Jeff- Hope your stress test went OK. I had to do it every year because of my age. No medications, just raising the running deck higher and higher and meeting required heart rates and run times.

IMG_1230_zps557b3a4f.jpg

IMG_1229_zps7ad6d251.jpg

IMG_1224_zps86e86403.jpg

Hope everyone has a good night.

' to go back to the train museum and to start figuring out what needs to be done. *The layout is DC powered. Is there anyone here that models in DC that is willing to answer questions* since I do DCC at home and the club?

I will also spend some time thinking about what happened on this day and what has occurred since then and say prayers for those that have passed on.

Take care.

Hi Curt, I applaud your Patriotism along with many others on the forum here, as I'm right there with all of you and ready to take up Arms against, 'Any Terrorist,' who means Our Great Nation, as it was totally united after 9/11, and probably is even more so today as there are more proficient gun owners now than ever before!! And we love target practice!
= = = =

Curt, being about the same age as you all my past layouts including my current 'C & S West Shortline' is straight 'DC' too so I'll be glad to try and assist you however I can. Just don't ask me to clarify the difference between Positive and Negative! LoL!

My email address is below and if you send a text message to my cell phone #, also below, I'll get the message directly. As the weather seems to be starting to cool off more I will be in my garage more working on my layout to get the mainline and some sidings completed. I'm just about half way now, as a result I won't be sitting in front of the computer.

Talk with you soon,

David Smith

Lots of rain, lightning and thunder today and to top it off I got smacked by a train. No kidding! A close lightning strike knocked two Bachmann GP7's off the display rack. One hit my right arm and the other landed on my head. I don't care what anyone says, those babies are heavy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff- If you are like me getting hit in the head is the safest part of the body because my skull is so thick.

David- Thank you for the support. You are a good man.

Good afternoon everyone, Hello Flo & Francine, my two favorite ladies, I'll just have some coffee and some ice to cool it down. So how are the rest of you coffee shop friends today?

It's another Hot one here in the Coarsegold foothills, per WW it's; 98.6 °F - Feels Like 95 °F, well it's exceeded the 98 °F high they posted so let's see where it winds up? The Hum-i-dity is at 12% and going to 34% at 11:00 Pm. It's supposed to cool down to 63 °F but that won't be till morning, guaranteed! Thank God for a nice breeze usually. Right now the wind is out of the NNW at 3.2 mph.

> > > >

My applause to all of you Patriotic forum members, we must never forget what happened and who perpetrated those dastardly events against us! Through our vigilance and preparedness, any foe is going to be short lived to say the least!

I sincerely hope nothing is or has happened today as allegedly planned so the news forewarned. But we must not let Our Guard down irregardless!! We all must stand ever vigilant and prepared!!

Lots of thunder, Lightning and rain today. The GP7 that smacked me on the head earlier came away with a damaged handrail. Went to see the cardiologist this morning. He cleared me for sugary.

That's all for now. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010370.jpg

P1010363.jpg

DSCN6125.jpg

COFFEE_POURING-Copy.png

Good Morning! Today is Fri 9/12/14.

Partly cloudy and cool with a high of 68. Banking and a trip to Kokomo today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Back