Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dinner was fair enough. Not bad for a diabetic meal. Tossed garden salad (tomato removed) with light dressing, beef pot roast, mashed potatoes w/gravy, carrots, wheat roll, grapes, iced tea, strawberry flavor Boost. The only thing I had an objection to was the carrots. They were somewhere between blanched an half cooked. The rest was pretty good and I really enjoyed it.

Not much going on here. Just surfing the web and watching TV. Not much else to do except chase nurses. They can outrun me by just walking away. LOL! I couldn't win a foot race with a fish.

Indeed. I haven't posted there in a year, and decided to take a peek over there for grins and the exact same "Who's a REAL Model Railroader" threads are flaming away as were a year ago. Same people posting the same BS about "you have to run Operations to be a real model railroader" over and over for the most part. Same with MRH of course, Joe is trying to be an exact clone of the MR attitude.

I still spend a lot of time in the MR forum, and I try to encourage people to work on their model railroads. My name there is "Heartland Division, CB&Q". That said, the Diner has become more off topic non-model railroading than has been the case. It's becoming more downer than diner. Also, there was an argument about talking about firearms, and MR had to decide not to allow people to talk about guns. That ticked off some guys. Several good members don't post there very often any more if at all.

I started here last year as a favor to Jeff Running Bear to let people know he was in the hospital. ..... You guys seem to accept me, and I thank you for that.

Joe.... Passenger cars can be frustrating. I like passenger trains, but they require a lot of work and patience.

Say Joe

So what was happening to cause you to say it was a disaster? Cars had too much overhang, or kept derailing or ?

Many times there a solution to the problem. I'm sure we can offer some help.

There is a solution, build a new railroad.......:rolleyes:. Actually, David, I built the railroad as a temporary interim layout. It was not designed to handle the full sized passenger cars as built by Walthers, Rapido and BLI, and I tried to run them. The purpose of the test train was to determine if I could get away with running such a train. The result was unsatisfactory.

Since I do want to run the full length equipment in trains circa 1965-1967, I have to seriously plan out what I want. The bright side is that most of the rail and the switches are salvageable, and reusable. I also think I will salvage most of the structures, so only the foam and plaster will be trashed.

Joe

Jeff .... While you chase nurses, at least now you are less likely to stub one of your toes. :D

Jesus_Facepalm-dos.jpg

:rolleyes:

Time for me to call it a night. I should be back in the morning provided they don't have to take me downstairs for any tests.

Have a good night.

I had to look up, 'The Whistle Post', as I wasn't sure just what it was but it appears to be a forum.
That's very unfortunate that, Kevin Morris, passed away so young. It just goes to show we often don't know from one day to the next.

I did find this though which I thought was interesting:

Whistle post - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistle_postWikipedia

A whistle post (or whistle board), in railroad usage, is a sign marking a location where a locomotive engineer is required to sound the horn or whistle.

Last edited by a moderator:
BUNN_COFFEE.png

Good Morning!

It's Wed 7/23/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Chance of rain here today with a high of 78. I'll be doing some yard trimming and watering the garden. :D

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning. It's 72° with 97% humidity. Looks like the weather here in Alexandria is gonna be a bit loud and wet. It'll be mostly cloudy with a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Looks like more of the same today. They have Hi-def cable here but not a single movie channel on which to enjoy it. Most of the channels are news, sports, politics and shopping. Squeezed in here and there are regular channels that occasionally have something entertaining to watch. Being able to surf the forums is about all that's keeping me sane. Well that's all for now.

Good morning all.

Right now, it's 80°, and sunny......going to 90°......tomorrow, it's only going to 80°, with rain.

I avoided the layout yesterday, instead, I helped the wife clean the windows and hang some draperies. In the process, we managed to break a venetian blind.....cheap China product from K-mart......so it was off to HD to get replacements. Of course the brackets were different, one went up easily, the other......like some model railroad products, was found defective out of the box......back to HD, to exchange. Fortunately it went in w/o trouble. Which was miraculous, in that I was feeling my arthritis the whole time, as well as the after effect of a disagreement between my stomach and my medication. :rolleyes:

On the cheap labor, lack of quality control front.....according to Bloomberg News, Ethiopia, is becoming the new China, with cheap - $40/month - labor. Should prove interesting........I suppose India has become too expensive. :rolleyes:

Jeffrey, it's really a good thing that you are becoming a food critic........Garry.........I have little patience these days........but you are right passenger modeling requires patience.

Joe

Good afternoon. It's sunny and 90, with 90% humidity as well. We went from a high yesterday of 77 with clouds to this. I'm going to go find a breeze and shade before my laptop melts...

Good afternoon. It's sunny and 90, with 90% humidity as well. We went from a high yesterday of 77 with clouds to this. I'm going to go find a breeze and shade before my laptop melts...

Ahh, yes, I think that was the one-day heatwave we had in the Midwest yesterday.

BTW, Garry -- My LHS gives away old copies of train magazines that people drop off, so I've been picking up ones that I don't already have. I saw you wrote a couple of items in 2006 issues of MR about your chalkboard fascia -- cool idea!

Yes, David. That's what is a whistle post. It says "W". Engineers whistle while they work.

Jeff .... Well, nobody will accuse you of being "Twinkle Toes".

Joe .... I like the CNJ FM Trainmaster.

Erik .... Glad you like the idea. most places don't carry the chalkboard anymore. I think many can order it though.

Happy Model Railroading

...most places don't carry the chalkboard anymore. I think many can order it though.

My local Ace hardware has a chalkboard paint (I have some -- I've promised to paint the closet door in DairyStateMom's sewing room/office with it, but I just don't seem to have gotten one of those round tuits yet...:rolleyes: ) -- I think that could work.

Yes, David. That's what is a whistle post. It says "W". Engineers whistle while they work.

Around here, our whistle posts have two horizontal black stripes, a black dot, and a horizontal black stripe.

Attachments

• 201110511240_Southern Whistle Post.jpg
    201110511240_Southern Whistle Post.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 302
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back