Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running Bear, I also hope the docs can stop it before it gets any worse. Well, really, I hope it's something else more easily treatable.

Good evening.
I've spent most of my day in the train room, repairing and rewiring the locomotive I got earlier this week. I also picked up some paint, so I can repaint the damaged areas on it. I've removed damaged circuit boards, melted and broken wires and connectors, and got everything prepped for the arrival of the replacement electronics. I'm not sure what I am going to do about any parts that are NLA, I'm considering finding a shell from Bachmann for one of their GS4's, and adapting parts from it. I'll cross that particular bridge when I get to it, though.

Just got back from another local VFD's carnival.....played Bingo, ate too much,,I really hope they call our phone tonight cuz we won the big cash prize! It would be nice to be able to get new flooring for the basement! (Cuz then the layout construction starts in earnest!!) :cool:

Terry. eBay may be your friend here!

Jeffrey,,,say it isn't so! Will move you further up the prayer list!

pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

Good Morning!

It's Sun 7/20/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Partly sunny and a high of 82. Nothing planned today. :D

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good very early morning everyone,
Here's something scientific I thought you might enjoy reading which proves that at least some of the idiots in our government don't know the first thing about what they're hollering about dealing with global warming, carbon monoxide emissions etc!

Verifiable by doing a Google search as I did at the bottom.

Subject: A global perspective to consider
Something to ponder!

Ian Rutherford Plimer is an Australian geologist, professor emeritus of earth sciences at the University of Melbourne, professor of mining geology at the University of Adelaide, and the director of multiple mineral exploration and mining
companies. He has published 130 scientific papers, six books and edited the Encyclopedia of Geology.

Born 12 February 1946 (age 67)

Residence Australia

Nationality Australian

Fields Earth Science, Geology,Mining Engineering

Institutions University of New England, University of Newcastle, University of Melbourne, University of Adelaide

Alma mater University of New South Wales, Macquarie University

Thesis The pipe deposits of tungsten-molybdenum-bismuth in eastern Australia (1976)

Notable awards Eureka Prize(1995,2002),Centenary Medal(2003), Clarke Medal (2004)

Where Does the Carbon Dioxide Really Come From?

Professor Ian Plimer could not have said it better!

If you've read his book you will agree, this is a good summary.

PLIMER: "Okay, here's the bombshell. The volcanic eruption in Iceland . Since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet - all of you. [ I couldn't resist to add even Al Gore! - by David S. ]

Of course, you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress - it’s that vital chemical compound that
every plant requires to live and grow and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans and all animal life.

I know....it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish
your kids "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50p light bulbs with £5 light bulbs ..... well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes, FOUR DAYS - by that volcano in Iceland has
totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active
volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud at any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt. Pinatubo erupted in
the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in all its years on earth.

Yes, folks, Mt. Pinatubo was active for over one year - think about it!!!!

Of course, I shouldn't spoil this 'touchy-feely tree-hugging' moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic
activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keeps happening despite our completely
insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud, but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season
across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you, on the basis of the bogus
'human-caused' climate-change scenario.

Hey, isn’t it interesting how they don’t mention 'Global Warming' anymore, but just 'Climate Change' - you know why? It’s because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past few years and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down. [ Again added emphasis LMAO ROTF!! by David S.]

And, just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme - that whopping new tax - imposed on you
that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that’s for sure.

But, hey, relax......give the world a hug and have a nice day!"

In case your wondering if there is any validity to what I posted above, there is! I Google'd it using this question below. Check it out yourself. All his credentials, a verified!

'Is, Ian Rutherford Plimer a Australian Geologist, professor emeritus of earth sciences at the University of Melbourne, Australia'. He is and it's all there!

I also believe it was last year that another Geologist from one of the Scandinavian countries said just about the same thing only not in so much depth.

I am always bemused by the argument (especially by learned people) that because the earth is a volatile and sometimes disastrous place to live on and can cause devastation and pollution of our environment by it's natural events, that that somehow absolves us of doing anything about what we are adding to it. Surely, because of those sorts of risks that we have absolutely no control over, this should make us even more careful of what we add to the cocktail. Should we just throw our hands in the air (polluted by nature or ourselves) and just say "To hell with it" and carry on regardless, or should we try to do something about that part we do have control over.

As far as the Professor quoted, I notice that mining engineering is one of his fields of expertise. I'm always a little sceptical (especially when we have so many coal mines and it is one of our largest exports), when I hear someone whose funding probably comes from those vested interests. bangin' on in their favour.

Personally, I don't care if the world IS getting hotter or colder because of these things, caused naturally or by human activity, I just think it's a crime to not take advantage of the energy that comes from the sun or wind or whatever, if the world tosses us a curve ball every now and then from fires, volcanoes etc, etc. then we need to do whatever we can to minimise and not add to the bad effects. To me, it's only common sense that something bad must eventuate if we just continue to increase pouring known pollutants into our environment. After all, would you want to live in a house where you never disposed of your own body waste or never took out the rubbish.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 67. Hopefully Running Bear's gangrene turned out to be a hangnail, or something even less bothersome (I am pretty sure it isn't, he's been there, done that enough to know), and he can get back home.

As for the global warming and greenhouse gas kerfuffle, I don't believe what we are doing is having as large an effect as some would want us to think. That doesn't mean I think we should all just continue polluting and not being responsible. I wonder if the global warming is simply a method of attempting to get everyone to start conserving, and not dumping tons of crap into the environment.

Good Morning. I hope that Jeffrey makes out ok......He really has serious health issues......He's moved up on my prayer list also.

It's overcast again in Central Jersey. 72°, and breezy, and going to 77°, with some sun. There is a large mass of rain just off the coast, but it's moving away from the shore.

I have begun to dig out my B&O stuff, in reaction to the Walthers passenger train announcement, as well as my recent purchase of a couple of Spring Mill cabin cars (opps. I mean caboose (s)). I noticed that the Blue on the B&O smooth side Plan 4167 Sleeper is a shade or two different from the blue on the Walthers 10-5 sleeper from several years ago, as is the black of the roof. I need to compare the HW coaches and sleepers out of curiosity. Of course if one looks at a color photo of a B&O train, one will notice car to car differences in the paint, so it's not a big deal, but one somewhat expects consistency from a manufacturer.

Joe

David
I love it wow guess no chevy volt for me :)
Its gonna be 454 big block !!! Most of that
I knew but the green machine needs to make
Green cash sooo they ignore it lol

Hiya all!
Has anyone heard any news of Jeffrey yet?
Just got back from the local auction house with 3 large boxes of trains,,,,,,sorting through the stuff now...lots of Chessie & CSX rolling stock in this batch....keeping a few, fleabay the rest. :cool:

Good morning,
When I looked out back, which is basically looking North North West, it was quite cloudy, I'm talking very large Cumulus but not very black on the underneath side, yet, but also with a fair amount of blue sky to about 35%/65% and I had just read the cell phone weather report that said RAIN Yay was in store. Well that didn't last long as after a little bit it began clearing up with more sun shinning through but that too was brief as it's now clouding up considerably and the sun is being subdued to keep things cooler! Yay, of course I'll have to admit I rather enjoy the cooler cloudy weather.

So lets see what WW says, shall we. They say it's 85.5 °F - Feels Like 86 °F, 10% chance of precipitation with Hum-i-dity at 37% which will reach 55% at 11:00 pm and supposedly going for a high of 92 °F, which I hope it doesn't. Winds are out of the SW at 4.2 mph.

I am always bemused by the argument (especially by learned people) that because the earth is a volatile and sometimes disastrous place to live on and can cause devastation and pollution of our environment by it's natural events, that that somehow absolves us of doing anything about what we are adding to it. Surely, because of those sorts of risks that we have absolutely no control over, this should make us even more careful of what we add to the cocktail. Should we just throw our hands in the air (polluted by nature or ourselves) and just say "To hell with it" and carry on regardless, or should we try to do something about that part we do have control over.

As far as the Professor quoted, I notice that mining engineering is one of his fields of expertise. I'm always a little sceptical (especially when we have so many coal mines and it is one of our largest exports), when I hear someone whose funding probably comes from those vested interests. bangin' on in their favour.

Personally, I don't care if the world IS getting hotter or colder because of these things, caused naturally or by human activity, I just think it's a crime to not take advantage of the energy that comes from the sun or wind or whatever, if the world tosses us a curve ball every now and then from fires, volcanoes etc, etc. then we need to do whatever we can to minimise and not add to the bad effects. To me, it's only common sense that something bad must eventuate if we just continue to increase pouring known pollutants into our environment. After all, would you want to live in a house where you never disposed of your own body waste or never took out the rubbish.

Say Toot,
You put forth some good arguments in one respect and I have to agree that if there is something we definitely knew we could do that is totally beneficial to all of us in all respects to attempt to correct the situation, I'd yes we should. But on the other hand about throwing up hands I have to ask, has all the emission attempted controls really done anything??

I can remember about twenty years back reading, as well as being verified by a good friend Harlan Benoy who was very well educated, that all the smog emissions crap they were requiring, at least here in the U.S.A. to be put on cars actually put more harmful pollutants into our air than they removed. Kind of a cut off your nose to spite your face situation. All during the last 55 of my 68 years I've noticed that all to often this that or the other was brought up that we supposedly needed to do to correct or attempt to correct some situation when those in our government and the special interests they serve really didn't know for sure whether it would do any good or not but kept right on pushing the envelope just like the global warming issue. Well good old mother nature is going to do whatever it she wishes irregardless of our feeble attempts to prevent it from happening. Ya I guess we should try to do something and cleaner burning fuel and better combustion cars seem to have done that, but I seriously doubt too all the controls aren't without side effects too. Like where is all that waste going and is it polluting ground water we all depend on for healthy plant life to give off oxygen?

I rather equate it with shoveling sand against the tide. Also, like the very pertinent point he brings up in the beginning of his article, the carbon gases are something very pertinent to plant growth to produce Oxygen to enable us all to breath healthy air. Sure I'm aware of situations on the globe that aren't the greatest, the Central valley in which I live in the foothills of on the Eastern side of below the Yosemite Mtn and Sierras, has the highest smog potential of any place in the U.S. but the winds of mother nature soon clear it all out when they blow or the rains come and wash it down into the ground and refresh the air again. All our efforts seem to be in vain in the name of a good cause at considerable expense to all of us for nothing and indeed even making it worse in the name of ecology such as the emission stuff?

As for the global warming and greenhouse gas kerfuffle, I don't believe what we are doing is having as large an effect as some would want us to think. That doesn't mean I think we should all just continue polluting and not being responsible. I wonder if the global warming is simply a method of attempting to get everyone to start conserving, and not dumping tons of crap into the environment.

Say Terry
I also don't believe that our efforts are really justified either in all respects or that we are told the complete truth about whether or not what we are doing is totally to our benefit or if we are cutting off our nose to spite our face. I think too much of this emissions stuff is more of a money making proposition in the name of doing some good without any proof if it is really doing anything beneficial?

David
I love it wow guess no chevy volt for me :)
Its gonna be 454 big block !!! Most of that
I knew but the green machine needs to make
Green cash sooo they ignore it lol

Say Blk Z,
Yah, I also think the point your making is very valid. I also believe that the newer engines with their fuel injection as well as improved gas has done a tremendous amount to reduce pollutants while our cars and trucks efficient to operate. Fuel system cleaner seems to do a great job too. Actually, what is really criminal on their part is that we are prevented from knowing the truth as it doesn't suit their scheme to control and bilk us out of lots of money in the process.

It's kind of like this alleged Fire Tax the State of California is trying to foist upon ever one which is a double tax and illegal, even per an individual in the State Board of Equalization, they are collecting the moneies under the auspicious of fire prevention and yet a State Congressman came out and stated that little, IF ANY, of the money collected actually went toward preventing fires and I know for a fact that the country area I live in you can drive down any road and see a considerable amount of dry grass right along the roads edge and up the various banks or into the fields. And several fires have started along the edge of the road too and burnt considerable areas before being put out. So it all a farse perpetrated on the Citizens which is UnConstitutional !

Have a great day. Oh, btw, still no rain. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening. It's cloudy and 76. I spent some time running my three remotored Centuries through Decoder Pro at my club layout. It appears two of the three replacement motors are an improvement, though one is no better than the one it replaced. I'm seriously considering re-removing those motors, and installing Kato HM5 motors in their place. The locomotives that are improved will now just slow way down when going upgrade. The third one still stalls, with the wheels not spinning and the motor not turning, even at full throttle. This can cause motor overheating and damage. I'm disappointed with the performance of these engines, purchased brand new a few weeks ago. For nearly $200 each, plus the cost of a sound decoder, they should have plenty of pulling power, and they won't even pull a fat kid on a tricycle.
The sluggish engine also makes some grinding noises when it runs...

So, these 3 are locos had motors replaced under warranty? You seem to be getting the rough end of the stick at the moment mate.

So, these 3 are locos had motors replaced under warranty? You seem to be getting the rough end of the stick at the moment mate.
Yes. They are all brand-new, and are gutless wonders. I'll give the owner of the company a call tomorrow, and let him know what is happening, and see if he has any other suggestions. The real disappointment is that I have two other Centuries I got two years ago, and they run and pull like they should. I now have 3 C630's, one C630M, and one C628. One 630 and the 628 are great, so I went back and added to the fleet.
I also now have a pair of C430's that are great, as well as an Atlas C425 I just got two weeks ago. All of them are fine, run good, smooth, quiet runners with good pulling power.

And to think I liquidated my QSI equipped fleet to get stuff that was more user friendly, with less issues...

My much older C628 with a TCS decoder runs and pulls like it should, my equally old C630 with the same decoder, runs poorly and grinds. I read somewhere that the grinding is from the gears moving side to side in the gear case. I tried washers, but only made it worse. It's the only Bowser/Stewart I'm really disappointed in.

Speaking of KATO HM5s I'm considering trying one in an Athearn RS3. My big problem is that I sit here and think of projects, but never actually go down to the work bench and do anything...........

My much older C628 with a TCS decoder runs and pulls like it should, my equally old C630 with the same decoder, runs poorly and grinds. I read somewhere that the grinding is from the gears moving side to side in the gear case. I tried washers, but only made it worse. It's the only Bowser/Stewart I'm really disappointed in.

Speaking of KATO HM5s I'm considering trying one in an Athearn RS3. My big problem is that I sit here and think of projects, but never actually go down to the work bench and do anything...........
The Kato motor is the accepted substitute for th eold motor. You can even get the Kato motor with flywheels already installed that have the proper hex hole in the centers for the Athearn driveshafts.

Good morning. It's mostly cloudy and 68, heading for 83 later. This is supposed to be our last cool day, tomorrow it's heading back into the middle 80's, then the upper 80's, and going up from there.
I'd better get going, I have a full week of Mondays ahead of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back