Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

Good afternoon.

Joe ... Your photos definitely are interesting.

Curt .... Your trailer on flat car project is coming along nicely.

Curt and Phil... We are thinking of a trip to Orland in October. .. Nit sure yet.

Happy model railroading ...

Good evening. It's 84 and partly cloudy. It was supposed to only get to 80, but obviously we are overachievers here...

Good morning Everybody!

its 69 with 98% humidity in southeast Baltimore.

Karl that is a big butt!

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning All. 75° and clear this morning. Made it up to 98° yesterday and expect the same today. Glad that I didn't put the cover on the pool yet. Spent the morning trimming and stacking firewood, and moved to the train shed after lunch/nap. I was going to pull out my "Ashmore Hotel" structure and add some more curtains to the windows when I discovered that I hadn't finished installing all of the glass yet. Installed the glass and set that wall section aside for today. Finished up (almost) the distribution warehouse in my industrial park and took some photos. Here it is alongside of the beverage distribution center that I described in earlier posts.
09-20-16 001.JPG09-20-16 006.001.JPG
09-20-16 010.001.JPG
After taking the pictures, I added the doors. Today I fill foundation gaps with putty, add stairs and touch up the paint. It's a large (for my pike) structure measuring a scale 75' x 120'.
Greg - Funny about the photos; been there, done that.
Curt - The flatcar project is coming along nicely.
Chet - Been concerned about Corey as well. He was making some real progress in life.
Sherrel - Good luck with the hernia tests that I believe you posted were today.

I'll add another post with additional pictures of the beverage distribution building, after I go for my walk.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning guys.

I haven't been in for awhile to see what's going on. I thought I was making some progress with my wife but now I don't know. She's just off in her own world and not communicating with anyone. I think I see the writing on the wall. Not drinking has been going fine I guess. It's not that I don't think about it, I just can't do it. The meetings have been a life saver so far. I'm certainly not lacking in support. Thank you to you guys for yours.

I'm not doing anything with the trains right now. I have a hard time relaxing and focusing on them. I think it's because I'm contemplating selling the house and I know the layout will have to be dismantled and revisited another day.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning. 70° and cloudy.

Willie: Nice buildings, Starting to look like an Industrial park.

Curt:
Flat car is moving right along.

Good morning.

Corey ... I am glad to see you here. It is sad to learn things are not going well regarding your wife. Your friends here support you. I encourage you to pray for yourself and for your wife. Allow Him to put things together. Also, I believe model railroading is good for sanity breaks. Perhaps, you can build a model that will fit either on your current layout or on another one later if you decide to move.

Willie ... You definitely are making a lot of progress on your layout. I'm glad to see it.

Cheers, everybody.

Good morning. we have 50 degrees ith scattered showers.

Corey - Thanks for checking in. Glad to see that you seem to have the drinking under control, but it is sad to hear that your wife is not communicating. Best of luck with your situation.

Willie - Nice photos. You seem to be making a lot of progress. I can well remember having the plywood plains on my layout. They are also slowly disappearing. Looking forward to see more photos.

Joe - Enjoyed the photo. Totally different than what we have out here. I enjoy learning about railroads acros the country and with your posts and photos, I have learned a lot.

Here was my plywood plains a couple of years ago Willie. Things will come together.

00002.jpg IMAG0880.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg Herd of Alcos.jpg

Later

Evening All,

Pretty quiet in here today. Last night we had a gully washer lasting 30 minutes. We got 3 inches of rain in that time with lightning very close to the house. I drove down to the LHS today for lettering which luckily they had since I had forgotten to order it. After getting home I realized that the 4 side signs were way too short in the horizontal direction so I had to remake the 4 side signs which luckily were not glued in place. That's 2 times today I lucked out. Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket?

Joe- That would be a great scene to model for NS or Amtrak modelers.

Garry- We will be here. It would be great to see you again.

Willie- Excellent work on the building. Speaking of buildings I was impressed to see the inside walls (and insulation?) inside your RR building. I was envisioning bare metal walls. I couldn't figure out how you survived in the TX heat inside it. I figured you were a tough Hombre!

Corey- Good to hear from you. I am sorry about your wife. Please keep taking care of yourself. Something I did for the 6-7 months I had to wait before I started my layout was to figure out what buildings I would need for my concept and ordered them one at a time and built them. This kept me in the hobby and I had the buildings I needed when I did start the layout.

Chet- Great before and after shots.

Eric- I hope things are going well for you.

Sherrel- I hope your surgery went well today if it happened.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Eric- I hope things are going well for you.

I"m doing ok Curt. Me and Dad went out for a drive around the area. We stopped by an old high-school buddy of me and my brother's. We stopped and shot the bull for a while. Brother Bill had already him the heads up on my situation so that saved a lot of telling about the stuff. It was really good to see him again.
This is a very small town and this surely going to start happen more often as more find out I'm back in town.
E.

I"m doing ok Curt. Me and Dad went out for a drive around the area. We stopped by an old high-school buddy of me and my brother's. We stopped and shot the bull for a while. Brother Bill had already him the heads up on my situation so that saved a lot of telling about the stuff. It was really good to see him again.
This is a very small town and this surely going to start happen more often as more find out I'm back in town.
E.
That can be good and bad. Good that you don't have to explain ad nauseum, bad that I'm sure there will be the small-town gossip.

Good afternoon 'Rail Setters and Spike Drivers',

Hi Flo and Francine, How is everything here at Jefferys' Dinner, it seems rather busy. very interesting account Joe/Boris related about his close call!

WW says, Clear? It's rather hazy and earlier it was a Mackrel Sky with a bunch of individual cloud puffs bunched together but dispersing into other forms of clouds too.
93.0 °F - Feels Like 91 °F;
Winds are from SSE at 4.7 mph.

No extended forecast Today.
Pressure 29.87 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 91 °F
Dew Point 53 °F
Humidity 26%
Rainfall 0.00 in

View attachment 58631

On a very hazy Monday morning in 1973, the Wilmington Wreck Train and the Enola Wreck train were clearing up wrecked cars from the previous week's wreck, when the road bed - weakened by TS Agnes in 1972 - gave way under the outrigger and blocking. The only thing that prevented the derrick from rolling down the embankment into the Susquehanna was another wrecked car embedded in the mud. This was on the PC Port Road Branch (C&PD).

Say Joe: Yesterday I couldn't get but the top portion, to where the branch dips down to load, so I couldn't see the Derrick image for some reason? Today is different.

I pulled the image into my photo program and was able to lighten a bit but the underside and track areas for the most part are still in a fair amount of shadow. But it's plainly evident to see where the ties [2] just to the Left of the guy in the Yellow hard hat were forced down probably by the front truck frame and the weight of the PC Derrick. This is evident at least on the far side of the track were the ties are pushed down into the ballast below the rail.

These are the kinds of accounts I mentioed to you before I figured you may have had something like them happen and are very interesting happenings!

I also noticed that when the fellow took the picture it must have been just as the Derrick was leaning over as it appeares that the Derrick tipping as it did also caused a violent tipping of the low sided gondola as I could see dirt & rocks flying over the far front corner that almost looks like a net being cast or a branch with a bunch of leaves on it extending away from the far edge gondola wall as it was happening so his timing was perfect.

There were two individuals on the Derrick when the outrigger gave way. The other Derrick dropped his load, causing the center of gravity to change. Before the Derric Engineer on the Wilmington Derrick could react, the load shifted and the outrigger gave way. Both the Derrick engineer and the sign relay guy jumped and were unhurt. Guess who was standing along side of the derrick and ran like hell towards the train. :rolleyes: Photo was taken by Sgt Ed Beyer of the PC Police Dept.

Glad you were able to High-Tail-Out of there! I'm sure it was very tense there for a couple of seconds to say the least!

View attachment 58633

Amtrak's Race Street Engine Terminal in Philadelphia, around 2006 - 2007. The view is from the top deck of the adjacent parking garage. I was still using 35mm film when I took this shot.

Joe: Very interesting shot showing the servicing facility. The White Rolls, Sherrel is talking about look to be some type of soft PVC piping or conduit but I'm uncertain also?

Good Morning All. 75° and clear this morning. Made it up to 98° yesterday and expect the same today. Glad that I didn't put the cover on the pool yet. Spent the morning trimming and stacking firewood, and moved to the train shed after lunch/nap. I was going to pull out my "Ashmore Hotel" structure and add some more curtains to the windows when I discovered that I hadn't finished installing all of the glass yet. Installed the glass and set that wall section aside for today. Finished up (almost) the distribution warehouse in my industrial park and took some photos. Here it is alongside of the beverage distribution center that I described in earlier posts.
View attachment 58638View attachment 58639
View attachment 58640
After taking the pictures, I added the doors. Today I fill foundation gaps with putty, add stairs and touch up the paint. It's a large (for my pike) structure measuring a scale 75' x 120'.
Greg - Funny about the photos; been there, done that.
Curt - The flatcar project is coming along nicely.
Chet - Been concerned about Corey as well. He was making some real progress in life.
Sherrel - Good luck with the hernia tests that I believe you posted were today.

I'll add another post with additional pictures of the beverage distribution building, after I go for my walk.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Say Willie: Looks like your making progres alright! That's how it goes, one step at a time.

Good morning. we have 50 degrees ith scattered showers.

Corey - Thanks for checking in. Glad to see that you seem to have the drinking under control, but it is sad to hear that your wife is not communicating. Best of luck with your situation.

Willie - Nice photos. You seem to be making a lot of progress. I can well remember having the plywood plains on my layout. They are also slowly disappearing. Looking forward to see more photos.

Joe - Enjoyed the photo. Totally different than what we have out here. I enjoy learning about railroads acros the country and with your posts and photos, I have learned a lot.

Here was my plywood plains a couple of years ago Willie. Things will come together.

View attachment 58641 View attachment 58642

View attachment 58643 View attachment 58644

Later

Chet: Nice shots to show Willie what your layout looked vefore

I'm about going to sleep trying to finih so it's nap time for me!

Hope all have a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
NJT ALP46 in 2004 at Race Street.jpg

Another photo of an NJT ALP at Amtrak's Race Street Engine Terminal. These were used on Phila - NYP Clockers, until NJT took over the service, thus dating the photo, as 2004-2005, and not later as I previously indicated. Note the track level grime n slime. The ALP was the quietest and cleanest electric motor I ever operated.

Good evening. It's cloudy and 76.
As I'm typing, the Yadkin Valley is returning their transfer to Salem Yard. They're working late tonight...

Just checking in,
Doing last minute stuff, getting ready for our little Cannonball Run coming up this weekend. Finksburg MD to Waynesville Mo and back in 60 hours. Should be fun! :rolleyes: Thank goodness the car is a rental! :eek: Still not sure if we will take Rt 70 most of the way, or take the southern route via Rt 64.
Speaking of the rental, we pick it up tomorrow night. The local Enterprise office is getting me a Chrysler Mini van for the trip. Not my favorite ride, but half the cost of renting a Tahoe!

Sherrel, Eric, prayers for healing.

Corey, glad to hear you checking in. keep fighting the good fight. If the Mrs returns or not, you'll be the better man for it. (Even though I do hope she comes to her senses)

I'll be back tomorrow before we leave, if anyone has any pearls of wisdom on the route!

Good evening. 68*F and calm here in the "Free" State.

Joe - I bet you could write a novel based on all the interesting experiences you've had, including that tipping-over big hook! Your Amtrak scene brings back memories of the Ivy City yard in DC.

Willie - your warehouse and beer distributorship look fantastic! If all my layout real estate wasn't already spoken-for, I'd be looking to get that beverage building kit myself.

Chet - my layout currently looks similar to all of your "before" pictures, other projects always seem to pop up and divert me away from adding scenery.

Curt - glad you caught that sign dimension error before it was too late.

Corey - glad to see you're maintaining your sobriety. Bummer about your wife though...

Karl - have a safe trip out to the Heartland and back.

Don't have any new developments to report mrr-wise, had too many minor "life" issues to deal with these last few days - gobbled up all of my would-be free time. G'nite!

Sherrel: Hope all went well with your surgery, I assume it did, butt you know what they say about assuming!

Karl: At first I thought it was going to be a foot race, sounds more like a rally of some type?

Ken: Yeah, at times it seems it's one darn thing after the next. It also seems that when it rains it pours all these events somehow. I've got half a dozen things around here to do too!

Back