Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

Good morning. 73*F with on-and-off showers here in central MD.

Didn't get a huge amount of stuff accomplished mrr-wise over the weekend, between yard work and carting boxes of leftover "stuff" from my daughter's bedroom over to her house. On Saturday I also downloaded a VLC Media Player based on what Terry told me about Win10 not having a built-in one. I went to test it by watching the opening scene of Lord Of The Rings - Fellowship Of The Ring but wound up watching the whole dang thing!:rolleyes: At least I managed to get one of my Walthers 86ft Hi-Cube boxcars that was factory-painted for Burlington Northern, and repainted it for Penn Central. (Nothing against BN, just that I already have way too many BN boxcars on my layout and I need more Eastern roads serving my auto plant.)

Sunday after Mass, I went to brunch with an old friend who works for Amtrak and is looking to convert his layout from DC to DCC, and wanted my advice. So I'm going to bring him to my LHS sometime in the near future and let him look over the various NCE options. I also did some more "acid testing" of a few blue-box 86-footers that I took out of the attic; made some changes so they could get into and out of the yards without derailing.

Gotta run, will try to post more later...

Good Morning All. 73° and partly cloudy this morning. Going up to 97° this afternoon, after 94° yesterday. Did get .75" of rain yesterday morning. Unusual summer so far, only hit 100° once unofficially, and here on 9-19, the pool temperature is still 86°. Loving that! Plus, we got rain about every 8-9 days. Garden/yard loved that...I had to mow more often though.
In the train shed, I still haven't brought in the card to download the photos. Spent the entire afternoon out there starting my next structure for the industrial park. It is a 75' x 120' corrugated metal warehouse made from PikeStuff parts. It will be a generic distribution center as yet unnamed.

Terry -
type with my toes
I like it!!!:cool:
Great videos as well. I see that the club uses the same landscape engineer as I do.
Eric - Glad that you are settled in. Were you able to bring the layout or at least the trains with you? Family and hobbies really help to provide a therapeutic atmosphere. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out for you.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good Morning All. 73° and partly cloudy this morning. Going up to 97° this afternoon, after 94° yesterday. Did get .75" of rain yesterday morning. Unusual summer so far, only hit 100° once unofficially, and here on 9-19, the pool temperature is still 86°. Loving that! Plus, we got rain about every 8-9 days. Garden/yard loved that...I had to mow more often though.
In the train shed, I still haven't brought in the card to download the photos. Spent the entire afternoon out there starting my next structure for the industrial park. It is a 75' x 120' corrugated metal warehouse made from PikeStuff parts. It will be a generic distribution center as yet unnamed.

Terry -
I like it!!!:cool:
Great videos as well. I see that the club uses the same landscape engineer as I do.
Eric - Glad that you are settled in. Were you able to bring the layout or at least the trains with you? Family and hobbies really help to provide a therapeutic atmosphere. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out for you.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie, there ain't way I could have brought of anything on this trip. It is going to take MANY trips to get all my stuff.

Willie, currently about half the layout looks like the Plywood Pacific. The rest is complete and fully scenicked. Two of the videos show the completed scenery. Of course, what they don't show is the derailments that occured in the completed areas.

Good morning. We're starting the day off at 45 degrees with a predicted high near 70.

Didn't get anything done model railroad wise at all on Sunday. After breakfast out I watched the NASCAR race in Chicago and then went to a friends house for dinner.

Quite a lot to catch up with here. Saw a lot of posts on the phone and now have to see them on the computer.

Eric - Hope you are getting settled in with your family. You are probably better off being with them right now. Hoping that treatment can start soon.

Terry - Enjoyed the videos. That's quite the layout your club has going. You should post more photos. Did check out the facebook page. Didn't think I could because I am not a member.

Curt - I had thought about the PIE trailers. They would fit into my time period. The joke at the time for them was Pulled In Empty.

Haven't seen anything from Corey. Hope things are alright with him.

Guess I better get some work done and check out the posts from the weekend.

Later.

Good morning, 70°, and Rain. The only thing I accomplished was I discovered I was very off in my measurements for my bridge abutments. Now that I have that straightened out, I'm painting and weathering them prior to placement. Perhaps now, I can move forward.

The O's, by virtue of winning yesterday, are at least treading water in a Wild Card slot. At bedtime, with the Yankees holding a 4-0 lead over Boston, I had hopes, the O's would pick up a game, but alas, the Yankees again blew the lead losing 5-4. Ravens won too. Spent some time watching the World Cup of Hockey, even though I usually don't get into international tournaments. The Devils training camp opens Thursday.

Terry, great video of the grade on your club's layout. Have any more videos to share with the forum?

Just looked at some trail cam photos I took this past weekend at our cabin. We have a bear(s) that's wreaking all of our bird feeders and nosing around the back woods. Guess I need to read the camera's instruction manual, since I took some great photos of my truck, forehead and the cabin's interior, but no bear pics.

Will try to go to the train room later and do some work.

Greg

Port Road 1973_0005.jpg

On a very hazy Monday morning in 1973, the Wilmington Wreck Train and the Enola Wreck train were clearing up wrecked cars from the previous week's wreck, when the road bed - weakened by TS Agnes in 1972 - gave way under the outrigger and blocking. The only thing that prevented the derrick from rolling down the embankment into the Susquehanna was another wrecked car embedded in the mud. This was on the PC Port Road Branch (C&PD).

Not quite 10 AM and it's 87 this morning. Hit 102 yesterday, but supposed to stop at 97 today.
The low this morning was 53! We get these wild swings from low to high in the daily temps twice each year - spring and fall. Supposed to be a 20% chance of rain the next couple days - I won;t hold my breath!

WOW .. That must have been a real nail bitter! Bet the operator needed a clean pair of pants!

There were two individuals on the Derrick when the outrigger gave way. The other Derrick dropped his load, causing the center of gravity to change. Before the Derric Engineer on the Wilmington Derrick could react, the load shifted and the outrigger gave way. Both the Derrick engineer and the sign relay guy jumped and were unhurt. Guess who was standing along side of the derrick and ran like hell towards the train. :rolleyes: Photo was taken by Sgt Ed Beyer of the PC Police Dept.

Race Street Engine Terminal 2006.jpg

Amtrak's Race Street Engine Terminal in Philadelphia, around 2006 - 2007. The view is from the top deck of the adjacent parking garage. I was still using 35mm film when I took this shot.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier. On the MRR front I put 2-4 Door electrical cabinets next to the signal bridge and 3-2 door cabinets by my other signals. The cabinets were from Details West. I also did some initial planning and fitting for 1 of the weigh stations.

Terry- Nice run by videos. I really like the bridge and the Aero train in front of it. I also like the video of the straining locos.

Chet- I went to Classic Metal Works looking for commercial vehicles and it almost looks like they are selling off all their stock in preparation of closing down.

Joe- Great picture and history.

Here is a look down picture of one of the flats without the trailer

20160919_130345_zpsa5smdjhu.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt - Is Classic Metal Works going out of business ???? I hope not. They have been putting out a nice selection of vintage vehicles. I know I have a ton of them.

Back