Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and maybe 33°, batteries seem to be out in the remote thermometer so I am going with the Weather Underground reading nearby. Too dark to see the analog thermometer outside on the north wall. The predicted 27° didn't materialize. It's a comfy 76° throughout the house thanks to the wood burning heater, which works so much better this year with the new chimney cap that I installed last month. It's a slightly different design than the old one and provides a bit better draft. Plus, the wood that I am currently using is 2 years aged. The next cord and a half is over a year with the following one about 8 months. Then there is the stack, unmeasured as of now, from the recent tree removal. I am good through to 2024 if things are average. And I haven't even started my usual winter tree pruning/thinning yet this season. Sure do miss all of that free aged hardwood from where I used to work since they shut that division down.

Glad to read that Thanksgiving went well for everyone who reported in. It went well here despite me doing all of the prep, cooking and especially the cleanup. My enhanced green bean casserole was a big hit with my SIL and daughter. I add lots of extra sauteed onions and mushrooms to the standard "French's/Campbell's" recipe. I didn't actually fix everything, my daughter made smashed taters at home and brought them and a couple of pies with her. Wife helped by tasting the cornbread dressing prior to cooking. She also tasted (critiqued) the gravy after I followed her instructions.

Sorry to be reading of all of the families with Covid. Best wishes to all affected.

Thanks for all of the likes regarding yesterday's post despite no pictures; OB Ken, Tom O, Rick, Karl, Gary, Louis, Hughie, Christian, Tom, Guy, Mikey, Sherrel, Jaz, Patrick, IB Ken.

I'm ready for a pair of breakfast burritos this morning Flo. Hold the hash-browns.

I did not get into the train shed yesterday, one of the few days of the year that I was unable to visit my townspeople. I do have a couple of pictures of the now renumbered covered hopper.
IMG_8347.JPG

IMG_8348.JPG

On Tuesday, I did some work on the parking lot at the bank.
IMG_8343.JPG

However right after this picture was taken, I sprayed the whole affair with matte medium and disaster struck as it reacted with the vinyl stripes that I applied and they shrunk up! :mad::mad::mad:
IMG_8344.JPG

IMG_8345.JPG

This is the second project that I have had a problem with this matte medium, so it's going in the trash.
On Wednesday, I patched the stripes and used the old standby dull coat this time. I'll see what it looks like today.
IMG_8346.JPG

Christian - I saved you a seat for dinner yesterday, but didn't hear from you, but your portion is in the fridge right now. My daughter even brought a bottle of Château de Seguin Bordeaux Supérieur. $$$$
Sherrel - A belated congratulations to your grandson for his band performance. We'll get a solo performance from our grandson on the cello on Christmas day.
Tom O - I agree with you that we are an interesting bunch here in the diner. Quite diverse as well. And more than a few excellent modelers also. You joined us after a couple of real eccentrics had left though, a fellow named Bruce aka newguy, and another from the same town of Lansing Michigan named Beady. Both were off-the-wall in different ways.
Well written commentary regarding the athletes. Back in the 60's, a member of our church was defensive end George Andrie of the "Doomsday Defense" of the Dallas Cowboys. He actually made his living as a real estate agent for a while since the football job only paid $10,000 a year. He later teamed up with fellow lineman Bob Lily and started a beer distributorship in Waco TX, just south of Dallas. I believe that I read somewhere back then that Bart Starr was a car salesman.
Greg - Aren't you nearby the city of Waukesha? Stay safe there.
Troy - Creamed cheese cherry pie sounds absolutely delicious. Good luck with the words today.

I will celebrate Black Friday by boycotting all stores including online ones.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe

Well All, just suffered through the worst Thanksgiving ever for me thanks to COVID…. Started feeling ill last Wednesday, thought it was just a head cold. By the weekend I was feeling better, but wife was starting to feel ill. Monday I was a mess, but test came back negative. Wife got tested Wednesday and was positive. Haven’t felt this bad in a long time, seriously considered hospital, but think I might really be mending this time. Having the Lupus has me a little nervous, unfortunately when I get sick it hits me pretty hard and sticks around a little longer, but you know, it is what it is…. I do hope everyone enjoyed their Turkey day, had some good food, good company, and good times😉 My wife and I will be cooking through the week I guess, gotta have me some Thanksgiving eats!!! lol
Try boiling water and a towel over like with the flu if your breathing is not bad enough for hospital but needs clearing, I assume Vicks should be safe,but you could check with your health people if you decide to give it a go. don’t over tire yourself hope you get through it ok.

Try boiling water and a towel over like with the flu if your breathing is not bad enough for hospital but needs clearing, I assume Vicks should be safe,but you could check with your health people if you decide to give it a go. don’t over tire yourself hope you get through it ok.
Whenever I get congested I use the Vicks. This method JazA describes is what I follow. Been doing it since I was a kid. It helps me.

TomO

Good Morning!

We expect a mild weekend coming up. It's 31f right now, and supposed to maintain in that range for the weekend. That's quite nice, really.
If the wife wasn't working the weekend, I'd like to go ice-fishing with her. The ice should be good by now.
As it is, I'm going to have another day working on the layout room reno.

I was looking through all my prototype rail photos taken in 2021.
It appears the last SD40 that I was able to photograph in town, was here in August, 2021. Since that time, I don't believe I've seen any more SD40's. In 2020, it was common to see the 40's being used as switchers in this area. Now there are none.
This is why it's so important to me that frequent photos are taken; some kind of record must be made. During the time period that the SD40's are in use and common, people just take them for granted. They're just another everyday thing. Then you open your eyes one day, and they are gone forever.
Here's a photo of one of the last SD40's that I've seen in town:
CN 5267_SD40-2W_08-12-2021 (5).jpg

Since acquiring a taste for trains a mere 2yrs ago, this GP38 is the oldest engine I've ever seen come into my town, Photo taken July 05, 2021.
CN 4791_GP38-2W_07-05-2021 (2).jpg

I keep my eyes open for the older stuff, but, try to get photographs of everything. It's important to me, although people who see me running around with a real camera often think 'wtf'.

Suppose that's enough rambling on. Have a good one!

Good Morning All. Clear and maybe 33°, batteries seem to be out in the remote thermometer so I am going with the Weather Underground reading nearby. Too dark to see the analog thermometer outside on the north wall. The predicted 27° didn't materialize. It's a comfy 76° throughout the house thanks to the wood burning heater, which works so much better this year with the new chimney cap that I installed last month. It's a slightly different design than the old one and provides a bit better draft. Plus, the wood that I am currently using is 2 years aged. The next cord and a half is over a year with the following one about 8 months. Then there is the stack, unmeasured as of now, from the recent tree removal. I am good through to 2024 if things are average. And I haven't even started my usual winter tree pruning/thinning yet this season. Sure do miss all of that free aged hardwood from where I used to work since they shut that division down.

Glad to read that Thanksgiving went well for everyone who reported in. It went well here despite me doing all of the prep, cooking and especially the cleanup. My enhanced green bean casserole was a big hit with my SIL and daughter. I add lots of extra sauteed onions and mushrooms to the standard "French's/Campbell's" recipe. I didn't actually fix everything, my daughter made smashed taters at home and brought them and a couple of pies with her. Wife helped by tasting the cornbread dressing prior to cooking. She also tasted (critiqued) the gravy after I followed her instructions.

Sorry to be reading of all of the families with Covid. Best wishes to all affected.

Thanks for all of the likes regarding yesterday's post despite no pictures; OB Ken, Tom O, Rick, Karl, Gary, Louis, Hughie, Christian, Tom, Guy, Mikey, Sherrel, Jaz, Patrick, IB Ken.

I'm ready for a pair of breakfast burritos this morning Flo. Hold the hash-browns.

I did not get into the train shed yesterday, one of the few days of the year that I was unable to visit my townspeople. I do have a couple of pictures of the now renumbered covered hopper.
View attachment 135882
View attachment 135883
On Tuesday, I did some work on the parking lot at the bank.
View attachment 135884
However right after this picture was taken, I sprayed the whole affair with matte medium and disaster struck as it reacted with the vinyl stripes that I applied and they shrunk up! :mad::mad::mad:
View attachment 135885
View attachment 135886
This is the second project that I have had a problem with this matte medium, so it's going in the trash.
On Wednesday, I patched the stripes and used the old standby dull coat this time. I'll see what it looks like today.
View attachment 135887

Christian - I saved you a seat for dinner yesterday, but didn't hear from you, but your portion is in the fridge right now. My daughter even brought a bottle of Château de Seguin Bordeaux Supérieur. $$$$
Sherrel - A belated congratulations to your grandson for his band performance. We'll get a solo performance from our grandson on the cello on Christmas day.
Tom O - I agree with you that we are an interesting bunch here in the diner. Quite diverse as well. And more than a few excellent modelers also. You joined us after a couple of real eccentrics had left though, a fellow named Bruce aka newguy, and another from the same town of Lansing Michigan named Beady. Both were off-the-wall in different ways.
Well written commentary regarding the athletes. Back in the 60's, a member of our church was defensive end George Andrie of the "Doomsday Defense" of the Dallas Cowboys. He actually made his living as a real estate agent for a while since the football job only paid $10,000 a year. He later teamed up with fellow lineman Bob Lily and started a beer distributorship in Waco TX, just south of Dallas. I believe that I read somewhere back then that Bart Starr was a car salesman.
Greg - Aren't you nearby the city of Waukesha? Stay safe there.
Troy - Creamed cheese cherry pie sounds absolutely delicious. Good luck with the words today.

I will celebrate Black Friday by boycotting all stores including online ones.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe

Willie, I had issues with Testors Dull Cote spraying over yellow stripes in my paper mill employee parking lot. I ended up painting the lines by hand.

I knew, well actually caddied for NFL Hall of Famer Ed Sprinkle of the Bears in the days of old. Same type of story for him and a few other Bear players he occasionally would bring out as guests to play golf. The football was their passion and their real money back then was the full time job. Many of the Chicago teams players were special members of the club I worked at while they played in Chicago. Few became members after their careers ended. Many that became members worked in the Chicago steel business as sales guys and a couple were insurance sales guys.

it is way different now
TomO

Ahhh... full belly.

And no pie.

How did that happen?

there was plenty of pie. Wife made her famous creamed cheese cherry pie

And someone brought pumpkin pie.

Since I'm not a fan of cherries, and I refuse to eat any vegetable that smiles at me... seriously... have you seen pumpkins on Halloween. I'm not getting near anything made of them. They're angry over getting carved up!

Let me check... yep belly still full.

Honeybaked ham
Hawaiian rolls with apple butter
sweetpotato casarole
mashed taters

and cookies. They yummy iced with sprinkles homemade sugar cookie type.

didn't need pie after all.
Troy that’s a great meal. Especially the wife’s pie.

TomO

Good Morning!

We expect a mild weekend coming up. It's 31f right now, and supposed to maintain in that range for the weekend. That's quite nice, really.
If the wife wasn't working the weekend, I'd like to go ice-fishing with her. The ice should be good by now.
As it is, I'm going to have another day working on the layout room reno.

I was looking through all my prototype rail photos taken in 2021.
It appears the last SD40 that I was able to photograph in town, was here in August, 2021. Since that time, I don't believe I've seen any more SD40's. In 2020, it was common to see the 40's being used as switchers in this area. Now there are none.
This is why it's so important to me that frequent photos are taken; some kind of record must be made. During the time period that the SD40's are in use and common, people just take them for granted. They're just another everyday thing. Then you open your eyes one day, and they are gone forever.
Here's a photo of one of the last SD40's that I've seen in town:
View attachment 135891

Since acquiring a taste for trains a mere 2yrs ago, this GP38 is the oldest engine I've ever seen come into my town, Photo taken July 05, 2021.
View attachment 135892
I keep my eyes open for the older stuff, but, try to get photographs of everything. It's important to me, although people who see me running around with a real camera often think 'wtf'.

Suppose that's enough rambling on. Have a good one!
Guy

didn‘t realize you only have been doing this 2 years. You have a great eye for good photos. Just make sure that ice is thick enough.

While I don’t carry a camera I will use my IPhone to take a picture anywhere. I don’t care what people think anymore.

TomO

Evening all,

Kids are gone, got the tree up and theoutside lights up. I go simple as I have 4 lit wreaths and replace the ribbons every year. They go on the light fixtures on the front porch and 3 garage lights. Not as elaborate as the neighbors, but still show some spirit.

Going to the K.C. area tomorrow to visit mom. She'd been in quarantine for the past month. My sister was with her today, so I'll go tomorrow.

Have a good evening.
I string one set of lights over each garage door in Wisconsin and plant a 2’ tall led snowman and a Santa Claus face. That’s it, they are on from 3:35pm to 11 from today till Jan 1 when they get unplugged. Here in Paradise the HOA does not allow any lights on the houses but have snowflakes and other things on the ligh posts that light up.

Say hi to mom from the diner guys!

TomO

Making pie is as easy as... pie, seriously. I can make many kinds, in two hours I can have four different pies cooling. I have never made a pumpkin or a sweat potato pie. I don't like pumpkin or sweat potato pie. I won't make any pie I can't sample. With all the great fruit pies why would anyone use vegetables to make pie? I don't understand, but to each his own. My favorite pie is pecan, French apple and mixed berry are among my favorites, but all basic fruit pies are great.

My wife made all the deserts this year. Apple pie, pumpkin pie, brownies, cheesecake and her crowd favorite, cranberry cake.

Only problem, I'm diabetic and I only sample small bite of any desert.

Even before I was diabetic I seldom ever ate desert on Thanksgiving. I love the foods my wife makes for Thanksgiving dinner and I seldom left room for dessert. In the past I did eat pie for breakfast on black Friday!
Also a diabetic but a pie lover. I am not sure of a favorite pie but the ones I won’t touch are any berry pie except blue berries. Not a peach, lemon or silk type pie guy either.

My solution to the diabetic issue, about a 1” square piece that will fit the folk. I get a taste and I have learned to live with just a taste. Terry is a superb baker and our solution is basically she will cut out 2 pieces for us, I get my portion from one of her her slices and the rest goes to the daughter who in turn will invite her neighbors in to finish them off. Same with cakes.

TomO

Well All, just suffered through the worst Thanksgiving ever for me thanks to COVID…. Started feeling ill last Wednesday, thought it was just a head cold. By the weekend I was feeling better, but wife was starting to feel ill. Monday I was a mess, but test came back negative. Wife got tested Wednesday and was positive. Haven’t felt this bad in a long time, seriously considered hospital, but think I might really be mending this time. Having the Lupus has me a little nervous, unfortunately when I get sick it hits me pretty hard and sticks around a little longer, but you know, it is what it is…. I do hope everyone enjoyed their Turkey day, had some good food, good company, and good times😉 My wife and I will be cooking through the week I guess, gotta have me some Thanksgiving eats!!! lol
Sorry the week has gone off track for you and your wife. Take care of each other and we will pull for recovery for you both.

TomO

Good early morning. I hit the sack early at 10 last night and woke at 3:20am and have stayed up. At 6 I will head to the garage and install the garage side double layer of dry wall. 8’ long pieces and I can handle that today. If I had to do it again or something else tomorrow I doubt it would be possible. I would like to get 1 layer of mud on before I come home for lunch, no golf for me today unless I get done by 9 which I doubt.

When the brother was about 100 miles out from the airport yesterday he called and said bring the SUV. Go to the airport and pick him up and surprise the son and his g/f. A great surprise to me but a nicer one for Terry. The brother had the son fly to Phoenix and then flew together into Maui. They will fly back Sunday night.

The 26# turkey was still too big for 6 people but it was a great meal and probably the reason I was in bed at 10. We do get along very well as a family and especially since politics has been banned by the brother’s girlfriend except between 11am and 1pm which normally is a time the brother is out playing golf. He is very right sided of the aisle and all the girls/ladies in the family are liberal left. The brother to his credit is reasonable but will often play devils advocate just to stir things up. I no longer do that with Terry as I really like all my equipment in place and useable every day I wake up.

Today, the crew will head out to the beach about 400’ below us and just over 2 miles away. I mentioned to the son that if he’s up to it he can help me install the drywall. The brother will be out golfing.

Sorry to read about the Covid issues and sickness in the diner families. My best wishes to all that are suffering.

TomO

Final run of the memes in my folder, they will be deleted. I know I have posted these but fun is fun anytime, IMOO, ymmv
830EEFA1-122D-47CC-B3E6-79AF6634303F.jpeg
CDA9B6CE-9D48-4EA1-BD17-CC3513B113FB.jpeg
C46761EE-9D92-439F-9506-B067DE9C87A5.jpeg
91405F68-B291-44EE-8CD5-390D14F3D6A1.jpeg
14C66467-5E92-4494-85CC-A97ACA85B5F7.jpeg
6C8340A3-152D-4613-B18C-7B19FA08FB6A.jpeg
97D657BB-3DE9-4F90-9ED3-273D2CAF65FE.jpeg
F0A64C45-2024-440C-87A4-E088EAAA7C5D.jpeg
A7E463C3-FF51-444C-BC48-B49942F80A25.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back