Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang and happy Thanksgiving to everyone, even if you don't celebrate with us, have a happy day anyway.
36° at 9 a.m. heading to a sunny 50! SWMBO is busy cooking all the good stuff. Sons 1,3 & 4, DIL, Daughter, SIL& grandkids all expected later. Son #2 is at his wife's family today near Pittsburgh.
BBL

Morning all,

Taking a break from the cooking. Been up since 5:00a (slept in). Grandkids slept over as the oldest granddaughter wanted to help cook. Turkey is in, potatoes peeled and ready to boil, made 2 versions of green bean casserole, a broccoli, rice and cheese casserole, cranberry sauce and pies made last night, and all will be ready by noon. Yes all by me with a special helper.

More to do...hope all is well and have a Happy Thanksgiving. We'll be moving furniture later as the beds in the basement are going back with daughter #2.

Last edited:
Morning all,

Taking a break from the cooking. Been up since 5:00a (slept in). Grandkids slept over as the oldest granddaughter wanted to help cook. Turkey is in, potatoes peeled and ready to boil, made 2 versions of green bean casserole, a broccoli, rice and cheese casserole, cranberry sauce and pies made last night, and all will be ready by noon. Yes all by me with a special helper.

More to do...hope all is well and have a Happy Thanksgiving. We'll be moving furniture later as the beds in the basement are going back with daughter #2.
That makes me hungry! At what time should I come? Save me a seat at the table. Thanks.

Happy Turkey Day from out West! 49F looking for 74F with a clear sunny sky.
There is forecast a pickup with some Santa Ana winds and the temperature will be going up to the low 80's over the next few days, so that makes a warning for possible fires once again.

The Spousal Unit is on MIL duty for the next 5 days and that means the pups and I have to fend for ourselves in the food department -- EXCEPT "SHE" is cooking up a large feast for the family today!
I'm guessing that there will be around 24 for the gathering - I am on alert for last-minute items from the grocery if needed. Speaking of groceries: Yesterday]s shopping adventure found many shelves empty and When I asked about cranberry sauce - I got laughed at!

KARL - Really nice looking '1309' there. What a beautiful paint job the workers did on her.
There is nothing finer to this old railfan than to see all that "monkey motion", as my father used to call it, on the valve gear of ANY steam locomotive.
I have to say that I envy you and IBKen having a chance to see and ride that train!

TERRY - Hope that Marie is OK from her falls. I had to laugh at KARL'S suggestion of bubble wrap!

THANK YOU ALL for the comments on the G-son's performance. As cold as we were, it was worth it. GUY is laughing at me over the "cold". but a low 40's temp with an onshore wind here is a penetrating cold. Anytime you see my wife wrapped up the way she is in that photo - you have to assume that it is COLD!

Good Morning All. Happy Thanksgiving to those patrons in the USA. I am also warmer here in the southwest at 45° F, or 7°C; clear skies and a very stiff 17 mph wind from the NNW. The rain predicted for last night never happened.

I never understood the glasses thing until I got my first pair back in January.

Made the weekly grocery trek yesterday, store was really crowded. No one ahead of me in the check-out line though. They had almost everything that I needed; mask compliance was only about 40%. The guy stocking the shelves when I asked about Fritos, said that there weren't any in Texas. While they were still offering the free turkeys with a $100 purchase, and I qualified, I chose not to get one since I had already gotten two from them. I did have space in the freezer for another one though. Instead I found a 4 1/2 lb. prime rib roast over in the manager's mark down shelf for just $11, not bad.

Turkey is thawed and as far as I know, everything is ready for my first full fledged attempt at a Thanksgiving feast. Turkey goes into the oven around 9:30; dinner around 2:00. Beer is iced down, daughter #1 is bringing the smashed potatoes and the pies. I cooked the onions/celery for the cornbread dressing yesterday; cornbread and cranberry was done over the weekend. Green bean casserole will be made just after my nap scheduled for 12:00. Can't miss the nap now, can we?

Eggs Benedict for me this morning Flo. Extra big tip coming since it is Thanksgiving.

Thanks for all of the likes and the comments regarding the hopper build; Patrick, Karl, Louis, OB Ken, Jaz, Christian, Joe, Steve J, Guy, Sherrel, Hughie, Tom O, IB Ken, Curt, Tom, Gary, Rick.

I'm kinda busy this morning and I don't have time to attach the photos from the camera yet today, they're not even downloaded yet. I did renumber the hopper and I have updated pictures of the bank parking lot which didn't work out as planned. I needed to redo.

OB Ken - My granddog also hates baths, but thinks [?] nothing about standing and romping in the rain!
Patrick - National Lampoon in the 60's & 70's was really great. I miss Mrs. Agnew's Diary and Humorroids the most!
Guns & Butter:

Joe - The Accurail cars have plenty enough detail and aren't quite as fragile as many of the higher priced offerings. I have at least 120 of them.
Terry - Best wishes for Marie and you. I truly hope that all that is bruised is her butt and ego.

Turkey is now happily in the oven.
Y'all have a Happy Thanksgiving or just a Happy Thursday. Stay safe.

Good morning at 4am as I start typing this. Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate being in the USA. Those outside the country give thanks for the freedoms we all can be thankful for. No need for a special day for that. I read that Target and a couple other retailers will not be open today. Just like the old days, stay home and relax as you give thanks.

The wall in the garage has wiring in the 5 wall boxes, has 2 layers of mud and sanded, wiring in the light switches and the thing is insulated with fiberglass. I was still itching last night even after the showers
but swimming made it all better.

Friday, the electrician will send out a person to check the wiring and connect the 8 circuits to the fuse box. 2 for the layout, 1 for the aisle lights, 2 for the lights under the valance, 1 for all the wall outlets and 2 for the workbench. Yes, overboard, but it’s what I want. He said he will come out as the electrical inspector after the golf which means around 3:30. I then can drywall the garage side and tape and mud. He will come out again for the final inspection. I am looking forward to a modeling bench before we head back home in December. The date heading home is unsure until we book tickets but must be before the 15th. Terry cannot exceed 199 days as on day 200 she becomes a Hawaiian resident and has to pay the personal taxes. I hate that thought but I also think the idea of being limited to how long you can stay is wrong. I see lots of taxation wrongs and I really think the avoidance (which we are also guilty of) needs to be stopped. Flat taxes with the ONLY exception being the 1st $50,000 earned for each individual. At a 15% flat tax for ALL, this country would be flush with money. But, that’s a discussion for another day.

I have a track plan for the garage but really it’s a framework plan. I prefer to cut my own framing lumber from 1/2” sanded one side plywood of 7 laminations but the Maui HD doesn’t carry 7 ply and it’s not worth the special order of 6 months or the cost of it. My thoughts have gone from using any 1/2” plywood in stock, to the prime 1x3” they show on line to taking 1x6 decking boards and cutting them in 1/2”. I am not going to use metal studding for the framework. I have seen it in magazines and online but no, not for me. The house contractor did order me the pink foam 2”x4’x8’ that I have used in Wisconsin. His pricing was 1/2 of what HD would charge me as a special order and 6 months out. The room size is 14’ x 42’, then 14’ x 20’ on the L side. The depth of the shelf will be 24”, except in the Paper Mill where it will be at 30” depth but no trackage beyond 20”. That way I can really have the congested looking buildings of the mill and the illusion of trackage into the buildings. I am looking forward to that build.

I hear the ladies in the kitchen. The turkey is 26#s and as look as we have enough dressing for leftovers till Sunday evening I don’t care what we have today. The brother left Wisconsin. Yesterday around six and spent the night in Phoenix. He should arrive around noon. Dinner is set for around 3:30 and yes per American tradition the TV will be on for the football games. No clue yet besides Detroit and Dallas playing and don’t really care.

I have been reading the diner thread but not always commenting but man we are an interesting bunch.

Terry, the idea to bubble wrap Marie might be worth considering. She and you have had little luck these past 2021 months. May her health improve.
Saw JazA on another forum and JazA you need to post some of those pictures here. I am impressed by your modeling.
Willie, enjoy being the chef today. Your pictures tell the story of a person who loves his structures and trains. Thanks for sharing that.
SteveJ, congrats maybe with the BF and your daughter.
Sherrel, what’s the story behind the Packer hat? You definitely married well. A great picture of a happy looking couple, congrats.
guy, your Winter like weather is moving into the USA Midwest, we expect when we get home to Wisconsin the white stuff will have accumulated. We will not blame you. Looking forward to your pictures this season of winter on the rails in your town.

Be thankful, hug someone today
TomO
E6C215EB-5578-4BC5-9FB8-9B621BC9D6E0.jpeg
843B6B06-2AF0-491A-A07C-60704B308912.jpeg

Good evening gang!

Terry, sorry to hear about Marie's falls.. I got a roll of bubble wrap if ya need it. Don't sweat the work thing, at this point you are not going to affect the outcome, so why worry.

A few days ago WMSR 1309 (formerly C&O 1309) went on the first test run actually pulling a train from the yard at Ridgely W.VA to a spot known as Helmstetter's curve, part of the way to Frostburg. If all goes according to plan, she will be in service this spring. At some point this year I will be on that train. IBKen, wanna ride along??

Nice video, I especially like the drone shots. And to think this loco was rusting away in the B&O museum in Baltimore 7 years ago! They did a beautiful rebuild!
View attachment 135835

Now if only they could get the 2-8-4 that was behind her....
Beautiful locomotives

TomO

Afternoon All,

Spent about 4 hours working on the layout today and finished the Hendrix Foundry section included lighting. I also put the tower in since at the edge of the area is the track leading to the engine servicing area. I probably won't be in here tomorrow so HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone.

Ken- I hope your family beats COVID.

Christian- That's a nice small layout.

Willie- Nice job on the hopper.

Joe- This is my experience with BLI. Their older stuff is way to light to run well on any kind of incline. Their older stuff electronics (QSI/Paragon I & II) have common issues requiring repair. I purchased the H10 with Paragon 3 (might have been a 4) and the board failed after 2 uses and again it was a commonly known error. They have fixed the weight issue with diecast assemblies. When I purchased the new release of BLI's Y6b last year I immediately had the BLI DCC system removed and put in a WOW sound decoder. (Friend did it.) I have probably owned 7-8 BLI steamers and diesels over the years because they were the go-to for Pennsy motive power. I'll also note that every steamer that I have bought from them has required repair (except the Y6b so far). One last thing, BLI used to have a 2-year warranty which is now 1-year.

View attachment 135828

View attachment 135829

View attachment 135830

View attachment 135831

View attachment 135832

View attachment 135833

I hope everyone has a good night.
Great pictures thanks
TomO

Rainy and a mix of snow at times in this part of Wisconsin. Almost very cold and a cold that runs right though a person.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone and thoughts to those who were impacted by the events in downtown Waukesha.

Just Cathy, Riley and myself to have Thanksgiving together. A nice fire, a football game and snacks with a good cocktail.

Thanks all from me.....................

Greg

############################

CM&NR Logo November 15, 2018 Free.jpg

Good late morning! Late because I had to go outside right after rising and shovel. It takes a long time as I do my property and the 80yr old's down the street.

We don't celebrate holidays, but I do hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We don't eat turkey, either. I don't see a-lot of turkey's hiding out in my backyard, though, seeking sanctuary. Guess they just didn't quite make it.

Sherrel - I do smile when you talk about the slight cool experienced where you live. Sometimes I wonder who's worse off. The people living in -30 with 4' of snow outside, or the people living in extreme heat with raging fires outside. I believe it's a 50/50, and ultimately we deal with what we have and adjust for those few days of the year that are uncomfortable.

Karl - I love pumpkin pie; my favorite. You're a lucky man to have two of them. That's one piece for you, and one piece for the wife.

Sorry, no photos again. Some will come soon, I hope.
I installed three more 3" daylight puck LED's in the layout room reno yesterday. It's getting quite bright in there, and a white paint will make a huge difference, when I get there. First, I need to drywall and tape some areas.

Little by little, it's coming along.

Have a good one!

Tried to find a pumpkin pie in the local stores. Only Sweet potatoe pies are in abundant supply.
Our local ethnic restaurant baked a dozen pies yesterday. They had a "lottery" for an opportunity to purchase one of the pies, since they couldn't bake enough for the demand. The pies are that good that there were at least ten "contestants" for every pie baked. The winners were happy, and the losers, while disappointed, were not angry or pissed off. We were not among the winners, but were happy we at least had a chance to get one of their pies. We'll do without this year, which if anybody saw my waistline would agree it's not a real hardship...

what’s the story behind the Packer hat?
TomO - Here is the lowdown: When I first worked for the airline in K.C., one of the crew schedulers there and I became good friends and he was from G. Bay. All he ever talked about was the Packers!
After a while, it just sort of "Rubbed off" on me and I started cheering for them along with him.
Prior to that, I was a dyed-in-the-wool Dallas fan - I guess because that is because my dad loved to watch. This was in 1964 and I have been a 'Cheeze Headed Packer Fan' ever since -- I claim, as Patrick said about the GN, that I like the colors- lol!
I have to say that I was not pleased with Rogers' action a while back! I think he suffered both mentally and physically after he was hurt pretty badly!

You definitely married well.
WOW, Thank you so much for that! I certainly did - and I am very proud of that fact and of her!
I was 48 and single when we met and when I first saw her, I knew that she was the one.
The fact that she was single, no alimony, no child support, with three daughters under the age of 10 did not phase me.
I thought that she looked like a movie star and to me she still does.
She went through a transition period of bariatric surgery, losing 1/2 of her weight, now back to where she was when we married. It has given her so much vitality and energy that I have a hard time keeping up with her! I just hope now that she does not "dump me" for a younger guy!
I feel that I won the lottery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back