Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all.

Flo- Coffee please. And I think I'll return to the usual this morning.

Hope everyone is doing well today. Phone says it's 30 degrees outside, so I'm going to stay inside. Gotta get some stuff done around the house today. I'll be headed out tomorrow, but I may try to do a little work on The Row. I plan to take the service station with me to have something to do, if there is any down time. While I am not looking forward to being away from the family, I am looking forward to being able to check out the new train shops I found. It seems there are fewer and fewer every year.

I'm going to take my coffee to the corner am lurk for awhile. Need to plan out how to spend the Christmas money the MIL is planning to give out this year. Probably going to be stimulating the economy over at Shapeways, but may order a new building as well.

Y'all take it easy and have a blessed day.

Good morning all! A frosty 32 here heading for sunny and 51. Lots of black coffee please Flo.

Worked Black Friday yesterday and it was no big deal We were busy all day, but not as busy as I expected to be. Got a sore back out of it after helping lift heavy stuff into customer vehicles. Overall it was a good day. Our district manager stopped in and told us our store looked the best of all his stores and that we were busier than some of his larger stores. Compliments from him are rare, so it was nice to hear that.

Youngest granddaughter is pretty much over Covid and feeling good again. SIL still sick. Hoping he feels better soon. He was in the store a few days before he got sick and bought insulation to put in their garage. He hadn't got much done with it since he got sick right after that, so my son went over and put up insulation until he ran out. They'll have to get more to finish the job, but I appreciated my son going over to do that.

Back to work in a little bit. Working 5 days in a row before two days off, then work one day and get two more days off. Our schedule is very strange, but I'll definitely take the days off.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning. It's clear and 26. Heading in to w*rk the last Saturday for the old company before the official transition. I'm stopping off at home when I'm done, then heading over to help out at the computer store, they're having just as much difficulty finding help as everybody else.

Good Morning All. Looks clear with 40° in the neighborhood, same temperature as 8:00 last night. Gradually warming up to the mid-70's by Monday. Topped out at only 58° yesterday, should be warmer today.

I've been sorting and re-stacking some of the wood from the tree that I had removed a week and a half ago, so far the first organized stack is one cord and I estimate that I am 40% through what I have. About half of the rest needs splitting which in my case takes time, 2-3 stumps a day followed by a day off. Today will be a splitting day. Tomorrow will be an ibuprofen day. Meanwhile I will start pruning branches from other trees that I marked last summer. Sustainable harvest.
I managed to make it through the Thanksgiving stretch so far with a gain of only 1/2 lb. That's a wonder in itself. Didn't have turkey leftovers last night, but they're on tap for tonight. Today is "crouton day" where I dice up all of the leftover bread in the freezer to make croutons. They'll be liberally dusted with garlic, onion and other powdered spices.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Tom, Jaz, Christian, Guy, Rick, Tom O, IB Ken, Troy, Steve J, Sherrel, Hughie, Louis, Moermusic, Curt, Joe, Gary, Patrick, OB Ken.

I'll take a BLT sandwich with extra bacon this morning Flo.

About all that I did out in the train shed yesterday was add some ground cover between the bank facilities and the main line. Then I picked up the throttle and ran trains which I hadn't done since Monday or Tuesday. The reworked switch that I repaired earlier in the week is working so far. I also studied the upper level to see if I could manage to stuff any additional staging tracks in on the unfinished portion. I have one possibility using existing switches that I had installed already, and another that would require inserting an additional one in the main line. No decisions made yet.
No project update photos today, so I bring you these from the archive.
These are from a rail-served industry in my city of Gainesville. Drywell Inks is a DPM Gold Series kit from many years ago.
01-25-20 004.JPG

10-06-12 011.JPG

12-26-13 046.JPG
12-26-13 048.JPG

Looks like the day that I took the last picture, the oil tank for heating the office areas was a little askew!

Troy - I can't offer any advice regarding tourist spots in NOLA that are anywhere as nice as they were pre-Katrina. While parts of the city have been cleaned up, everything had a really musty odor when I visited last year. There still seems to be debris piled up in some places. My only highlight was driving by my old boyhood home from 1959-1960, which hadn't changed except the solar panels added to the roof. The French Quarter had too many aggressive panhandlers for me. Maybe things have changed? Doubt it though.
Curt - I like #3.
Greg - Great Bart Starr story.
Jesse - I use wall warts (power supplies for electronic chargers etc) for power sources for accessories. I have them with outputs ranging from 3v to 16v, depending on their original use. Amperage outputs vary, so I have to sometimes calculate to see how many lights etc., that I can use with them.
Ken - While my grandsons aged 12 & 14 don't split wood yet, they both know that they have to carry a couple of armloads of wood into Grandpa's house when they visit in the cold season here. They have learned to do it before they remove their outer garments to avoid splinters in the arms!

Of course today is Small Business Saturday, sorry OB Ken, do your part and support them.
Everybody have a wonderful Saturday and an awesome weekend. Stay safe.

Good morning y'all. Sunny, windy and chilly this morning. This morning, we will change out the defective florescent fixture, for a new LED fixture.
Nice to have help around to make necessary changes. ;)

Having Sausage patties and French Toast this morning, so I'll catch ya later.

Good Morning! Even though it's only 11f, and I should still be under the blankets.

Working in the layout room today, doing the hardest part of all. I'm trying to relocate 27yrs worth of stuff collection from what was once a workshop and is now being turned into a layout area. I'm having a-lot of problems achieving some sense of order. There's just not enough room for everything now that I'm trying to make layout area and still have a workshop. Some of the furniture has to go. - This is the point where I need to win the lottery and get a bigger house.

Figured out a way to create corrugated and standing seam metal roofing. Should be able to make Delta rib too but haven't yet.View attachment 135906
Bigfoot13 - Could you please describe the technique you've come up with to make the corrugated roofing?!

Thanks for all the likes on these simple posts.
Here's one of the very first photo's I took of a moving train, from January, 2020. This was a month after I caught the train bug:
Jan2020.JPG

Have a good one!

Good Morning All. Looks clear with 40° in the neighborhood, same temperature as 8:00 last night. Gradually warming up to the mid-70's by Monday. Topped out at only 58° yesterday, should be warmer today.

I've been sorting and re-stacking some of the wood from the tree that I had removed a week and a half ago, so far the first organized stack is one cord and I estimate that I am 40% through what I have. About half of the rest needs splitting which in my case takes time, 2-3 stumps a day followed by a day off. Today will be a splitting day. Tomorrow will be an ibuprofen day. Meanwhile I will start pruning branches from other trees that I marked last summer. Sustainable harvest.
I managed to make it through the Thanksgiving stretch so far with a gain of only 1/2 lb. That's a wonder in itself. Didn't have turkey leftovers last night, but they're on tap for tonight. Today is "crouton day" where I dice up all of the leftover bread in the freezer to make croutons. They'll be liberally dusted with garlic, onion and other powdered spices.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Tom, Jaz, Christian, Guy, Rick, Tom O, IB Ken, Troy, Steve J, Sherrel, Hughie, Louis, Moermusic, Curt, Joe, Gary, Patrick, OB Ken.

I'll take a BLT sandwich with extra bacon this morning Flo.

About all that I did out in the train shed yesterday was add some ground cover between the bank facilities and the main line. Then I picked up the throttle and ran trains which I hadn't done since Monday or Tuesday. The reworked switch that I repaired earlier in the week is working so far. I also studied the upper level to see if I could manage to stuff any additional staging tracks in on the unfinished portion. I have one possibility using existing switches that I had installed already, and another that would require inserting an additional one in the main line. No decisions made yet.
No project update photos today, so I bring you these from the archive.
These are from a rail-served industry in my city of Gainesville. Drywell Inks is a DPM Gold Series kit from many years ago.
View attachment 135918
View attachment 135919
View attachment 135920View attachment 135921
Looks like the day that I took the last picture, the oil tank for heating the office areas was a little askew!

Troy - I can't offer any advice regarding tourist spots in NOLA that are anywhere as nice as they were pre-Katrina. While parts of the city have been cleaned up, everything had a really musty odor when I visited last year. There still seems to be debris piled up in some places. My only highlight was driving by my old boyhood home from 1959-1960, which hadn't changed except the solar panels added to the roof. The French Quarter had too many aggressive panhandlers for me. Maybe things have changed? Doubt it though.
Curt - I like #3.
Greg - Great Bart Starr story.
Jesse - I use wall warts (power supplies for electronic chargers etc) for power sources for accessories. I have them with outputs ranging from 3v to 16v, depending on their original use. Amperage outputs vary, so I have to sometimes calculate to see how many lights etc., that I can use with them.
Ken - While my grandsons aged 12 & 14 don't split wood yet, they both know that they have to carry a couple of armloads of wood into Grandpa's house when they visit in the cold season here. They have learned to do it before they remove their outer garments to avoid splinters in the arms!

Of course today is Small Business Saturday, sorry OB Ken, do your part and support them.
Everybody have a wonderful Saturday and an awesome weekend. Stay safe.
No need to say sorry. I believe in supporting small local businesses too!

My thanks to all for the well wishes, didn’t mean to be a “downer”, just had to vent 😉 We are rebounding, hoping to avoid a setback. Been spending a little time laying track and planning, so not a total waste of time lol Trying to decide best use of peninsula, think I will use it for a switching section, a few industries, so will tackle that after I get a few models to establish track plan as needed…
Think I will work on swing gate this weekend, put my carpentry skills to the test…
Was good to read your guy’s enjoyment of the holiday, always nice to have that family time😉

I finally decided what type of bed to make for the O scale 1930s logging truck.
Had to go scrounge in my woodshop scrap bin to find pine lumber the correct size.
This photo is while the glue was drying and it was a nice fresh lumber color. I'll have to see what kind of weathering to make it look a bit more used.

Attachments

• mack kit 3.jpg
    mack kit 3.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back