Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Spent part of the day at the book fair. After getting home I put 3 coats of of rattle can black primer on the parking lot and roadway styrene pieces. More book fair tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for the likes yesterday of the lighting job.

Mikey- Thank you.

Joe- Thank you. Interesting photos and history

IB Ken- Nice layout scenes.

Toot- Nice video.

Willie- Nice added details.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon everyone....cold, frosty morning here in this part of Wisconsin. Glad we shut down the cabin last weekend. It's a cold job to do when its windy and cold, not to mention wet.

My doctor's appointment went fast this morning and it was mostly small talk and I was on my way home at 8:17 AM. Hit the recliner and fell asleep until lunch and then back to 3:30 PM. I must of needed the sleep.

Not much on the railroad front. I see my two Scale Trains locomotives are delay until January '22. I bet they are on some cargo ship off the California coast.

Daytime Saving Time ends this weekend and here we will have a sunset at 4:32 PM. Basement working time also starts this weekend. I find it hard to believe that less than 20 years ago I would work on the layout after supper until mid-night. My job allowed me to run off to the LHS and make purchases. Only once did I get a call during my shopping trips.

My poor dog is confused with me sleep and she followed sit. She is a deep sleeper and right now she thinks I'm gone and she is still sleeping very soundly.

This weekend my friend of almost 60 years is coming over to check on me since Cathy will be gone to Arizona.

That's about all for now.

Greg

############

Last edited:
Good Afternoon all! Another nice Fall day here i H-Town. Nice, balmy weather, the kind where you want to be outside.
Flo, just give me a Scotch and water, don't want to ruin my appetite before supper.

I had a very pleasant surprise today. I got a phone call from a guy that I was in boot camp with some 57 years ago. We spoke for 2 hours. There is something warm and peaceful about talking to friends from long ago.

On the train front, the Bar Mills Jefferies Point showed up yesterday. Tomorrow is forecasted as a rainy day so I start assembly.
1635888535689.png

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good evening.
No much to report, except that the deer get to live another day, after an unsuccessful hunt.
I saw them, alright. The forest was just to dense to get a safe shot off, and I only pull the trigger if I know for sure.

On the way out, I was stopped by a train at the crossing in Blue Ridge. It was pulling 100 cars; boxcars and center-beam flats. I noticed that there was one TBOX car that was completely void of graffiti; clean as a whistle. How come I can't have that opportunity when I've got the camera instead of a rifle!? Don't figure!

Here's a boxcar photo from the other day:
Box_DWC 793920_10-28-2021.jpg

The forest played me out, so I'm going to bed. Have a good one!

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks for all the the button-clicks and/or comments on the "town-on-a-blob" photos I shared last night: Guy, Tom-Cambria, Hughie, Joe, Patrick, Rick, Karl, OB Ken, Willie, Christian, Louis, Chad, Curt

Tom
- great-looking flatcar with the pipe load, it would look right at home on the pipe contractors' spur on my layout!😀 (Well maybe not, since I don't think those existed back in 1970?)

Patrick, I feel your pain! I always groan every time my DBA announces that our database vendor is rolling out an upgrade, since it generally means going to the next version of Oracle and having to edit/recompile all ~150 of my published report scripts to adapt them to losing the no-longer-supported functions. Went thru that experience earlier this year...

Guy - I like those concrete Lego blocks in your boxcar photo!

. . .
IB Ken- Nice layout scenes.
. . .

Thank you Curt!

Just another typical Tuesday around here...logged-in to work until 2pm, did usual Tuesday errands, then continued trying to decent shots of my town scene on the blob (a.k.a. Linndale). That downtown view is difficult to shoot because I can't position the camera & tripod at an optimum distance, since I have to put it right in the middle of the constricted passage between the steel mill and the south peninsula, Having the camera so close to the scene edge causes the nearly details to always be out-of-focus, since they are on periphery of lens and can't be target-focused. I tried a different tactic this afternoon: Placed the camera on the steel mill yard tracks, pointed the lens in the direction of the desired scene, pressed the shutter button lightly to auto-focus, then pressed the shutter button again the snap the picture. All of this had to be done without looking thru the viewfinder.

I was able to get a few shots that I can use, but since they are of the same area I won't bore you with those. Rather, I will dig out one of my steel mill shots from the folder where I keep all the .JPG's that I plan to put in my [future] "layout tour" thread. This shows what is on the the opposite side of the aisle from where the downtown Linndale photos were taken, i.e., what a visitor will see as soon as they step around the blob.

01_BlastFurnaceBackView.jpg

(This photo was shot ~1 year ago, before I added the benchwork curtains...)

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Morning all,

Waiting to see who is being replaced on the city council. I know I have at least one as one decided he was not running again. every other year I have to make changes to the system for the new council member. Not really hard, just different than my normal users.

Currently light rain (heavy drizzle) and 41° in Doo-Dah this morning. High today of 47° with a frost advisory out for the overnight.

Something a bit different. This is the 2nd part of a video by Geoff Mackley and his MAN 4wd truck also high in NZ's Southern Alps (48mins) following the "road" up the Hopkins River. It takes you up into the Mt Cook National park area (NZ's highest mountain) between two of the ridges of the Alps. The right hand ridge and cloud unfortunately blocks any view of the mountain. The videoing is done from the camera mounted on a drone that also sits in it's cradle on the roof of the truck.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Cloudy, with light off and on drizzle and 45°. High today might make it to 50°, then a gradual warming to the mid-70's by Sunday. Rain should stop within the next hour. Yesterday by nightfall, I had 1.25" in the gauge, this morning there's another 0.50" as best as I can tell in the dark.
I had another boring visit with my doctor yesterday, pending lab results will probably confirm that. They recorded my lowest BP reading ever in their office of 121/70, which they took twice to make sure. EKG didn't show any issues and once again, I was questioned about falls and depression and the nurse practitioner filled out the paperwork because she knows that I won't do it. I am not an anti-vaxer, but I refused the flu shot as I have done all of my life. Never got the flu either.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding my post yesterday; Karl, Patrick, Christian, Joe, Hughie, Chad, Curt, Greg, Tom, IB Ken, Guy, Jaz, Sherrel.

How about just a bowl of Corn Flakes this morning Flo. I'm just not too hungry.

i didn't get much time out in the train shed yesterday, but I did start on the P2K covered hopper build. Some very small parts here. This is the retainer valve next to a standard Exacto #11 blade to show the size.
IMG_8058.JPG

Retainer valve, air reservoir and triple valve in place.
IMG_8059.JPG

Next come these two air pipes.
IMG_8060.JPG

IMG_8061.JPG

They fit into the bottom two holes in the triple valve.
IMG_8062_LI.jpg

IMG_8071.JPG

As you might be able to see, I broke the one from the valve to the air reservoir and had to get out the super glue to fix it.

Joe - You didn't post which P2K kits that you have, but I have made many of these covered hoppers, a couple of gondolas and a boxcar and a tanker, all of which had the same high degree of difficulty. All are on the layout except the boxcar and tanker which ultimately didn't fit my era after I decided on one. Granted the two gondolas have solid bearing trucks, but no one knows but me. Despite their difficulty, I enjoyed the challenge of building all of them. Some of the detailing isn't even visible on the finished product.
Interesting trackwork in the pictures from Cresson.
Greg - Yes, my locos from ScaleTrains were moved back to January as well. If I remember correctly, I have four Dash9-44CW's that I pre-ordered in April. The Email that I received in September indicated that even though they were raising all of their new prices, they were holding to their pre-order pricing on these.
Tom - I like the pipe load.

Y'all have a great day. Be safe.

Greetings from Laughlin, NV sports fans. The Spousal Unit, three pups, and I decided on a quickie road trip.
First of all we wanted to check out the RV and make sure that ALL the warning lights stayed out from our mice episode and we wanted to drag our CRV along with us and see how that all worked.

FLO - A refil on the coffee, please and I'll have the biscuits and gravy with bacon.

I am still groggy this morning - we got a late start getting away - dogs did not want to settle - and generally things went wrong - one thing after another. Wife wanted to see the Gsons band performance - so we did. Then she wants to see his performance this weekend and then a friends retirement party the next day so out little getaway has been "rushed" but she had already worked her schedule as to have the 2 weeks off, but we did not anticipate all the extra stuff going on. (If I have throughly confused you by now, think how I feel.)

When we arrived here after dark - I forgot to turn the ignition key off on the car and now the battery is dead.
As soon as it becomes daylight - I will disconnect the car- undo the hookups - and turn the camper around so I can jump the car. I just hope that I have not ruined the battery by totally draining it. Not a good start to what was planned to be a relaxful few days. Forgot to mention that I spent 2 hair pulling hours trying to get the Computers and TV working; electrons are definitely NOT in my wheelhouse!

Sure is a bunch of interesting things going on with everyone - great photos from all and waiting to hear the outcome of TERRYS meeting this morning?

Good morning. 35° with a light frost. This will accelerate the leaf fall. Lawn guy was here yesterday, so the inevitable raking will be easier. Today will be sunny with temperatures rising to around 53°.

Thank you for all the likes and comments on my last post.

Some interesting results from yesterday's election.

Baseball, is finally over for the year...Length of game is again becoming an issue. They seem to be concerned about the time between pitches, totally ignoring the length of commercial breaks and reviews and challenges. I cannot believe that Atlanta is that good, or is Houston that bad?

Not much going on right now...almost a let down after last week's intensity. it is also hard to comprehend how close Thanksgiving and the Christmas Season really is.

B&O #12  on Cumberland - Cincinnatti Main..jpg

B&O #12 rounding curve, in West Virginia, my guess sometime around 1965 -1966. Photographer not credited.

PC GG1 entering B&P Tunnel with Florida train - John Engleman photo.jpg

Southbound SCL train behind GG1 about to enter the B&P Tunnel after departing Baltimore.
PC N7 Cabin (Tangent) #21753 10-28-2021.jpeg

New Tangent (ex NYC) class N7 Cabin car added to the layout.

You didn't post which P2K kits that you have, but I have made many of these covered hoppers, a couple of gondolas and a boxcar and a tanker, all of which had the same high degree of difficulty.
Willy: I still have several box cars to do, and maybe another gondola. I just gave up on a gondola that was on the bench for two years. There is a high degree of difficulty, mainly because the castings themselves are fragile, and don't always fit well. Having clunky claws where my hands used to be doesn't help either. I have completed a box and gondola, and failed on a tank car. Had Tangent not released all those nice tank cars they sell, I would have probably not given up. I don't think I have any of the Covered Hoppers. I rate the difficulty level about equal with the old Branchline kits. (I have a few of those to complete also).

I'm starting a F&C Resin NYC 40' gondola kit right now, cleaning the flash first. If this kit works out, I have a few more to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back