Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a further kick in the teeth this afternoon when I got home.
On September 1, I got an annual physical. The doctor ordered the standard wellness tests, cholesterol screening, metabolic panel, and PSA tests.
Today, I got a bill for all those tests.
Once again, my employer cut more corners with my health insurance, and didn't say anything. As of January 1 of this year, NO preventative testing is covered by my insurance. Yes, I called the lab company, then my insurance company to confirm this. So now I'm out a couple of hundred more dollars for bills I didn't know I was running up.
BTW, while I had the insurance company on the phone, I asked them specifically what was covered by my insurance. The response: Nothing. It all has to go toward my annual $10,000 deductible before they'll pay 80% over that. So, I'm paying $400 a month, with zero company contribution, for insurance that does nothing.

Oh, let's add to that--we have a quarterly production bonus that's based on some really complicated formula, obviously intended to minimize the amount of the bonus. Usually, the bonus works out to less than $200 per quarter. This month, with the sale of the business looming, the owner didn't even bother to do THAT.

With cold weather approaching fast, I decided it would be a good idea to drain and fill the antifreeze in the newsed car, since I don't know for sure how old the stuff is that's in it, or how cold it is mixed to protect.
Holy crap! When did antifreeze go from $6.99 a gallon to $21.99 a gallon? Obviously, I haven't kept up on prices for this stuff.

And a further kick in the teeth this afternoon when I got home.
On September 1, I got an annual physical. The doctor ordered the standard wellness tests, cholesterol screening, metabolic panel, and PSA tests.
Today, I got a bill for all those tests.
Once again, my employer cut more corners with my health insurance, and didn't say anything. As of January 1 of this year, NO preventative testing is covered by my insurance. Yes, I called the lab company, then my insurance company to confirm this. So now I'm out a couple of hundred more dollars for bills I didn't know I was running up.
BTW, while I had the insurance company on the phone, I asked them specifically what was covered by my insurance. The response: Nothing. It all has to go toward my annual $10,000 deductible before they'll pay 80% over that. So, I'm paying $400 a month, with zero company contribution, for insurance that does nothing.

Oh, let's add to that--we have a quarterly production bonus that's based on some really complicated formula, obviously intended to minimize the amount of the bonus. Usually, the bonus works out to less than $200 per quarter. This month, with the sale of the business looming, the owner didn't even bother to do THAT.
Welll, at least we don't have those mean tweets anymore. (smirk)
Sorry for your troubles but someday, you'll look back on these days as when things were better.

Tom - great-looking flatcar with the pipe load, it would look right at home on the pipe contractors' spur on my layout!😀 (Well maybe not, since I don't think those existed back in 1970?)
Ken- They have galvanized looking pipe which would work for you.
IMG_3911.jpg
IMG_3909.jpg

That's why you have to build a town, city, or other scenery on the layout. Circles are plain-ol' boring, and don't go anywhere except back to where you've already been.
Agreed, inspiration is often required,look at your best most realistic rolling stock,then Google it for real photos until you come across something you think you would like to model,once you have a real image things fall into place quite easily, look at shunting puzzles also they give plenty of interest and playability, round and round tends to be quick but boring,you need a figure of 8 if possible, a pair of tracks if possible and a straight run at least a third of the way at the front for a platform you can work on. You do not need expensive items, peco has some interesting items easily updated,it is not about expense, I would invest in a short back board,painted plain blue,a few branches,sone terracotta paint for earth….oh look hang on…..

essentials to a quick layout

1. A board of a size that you can permenantly keep horizontal otherwise there is little inclination to model scenery

2. A short backboard painted light ish blue

3 some earth coloured paint, terracotta, look at house paint testers especially if reduced, they go quite far

4. You need a straight line if you want a platform,stopping point, and room either side for trackside building and essential detailing, a pair of parallel tracks is preferre, and a gap between for any scenic items such as track control

5. You need an era, a decision on the station if less buildings go rural, if you desire more buildings then adjust, personally if first time a small rural is likely easier and can be incorporated into a bigger area

6. Era is all important buy a few cars, get a couple of people invest in a specific time, your childhood if you were around railway is popular,something you know is always easiest

7. Paint the base an earth colour, invest in. Some PVA and some greenery, I would say in general do not paint grass green paint is shockingly hard to look good

allow for a road way to the area and a space for a little non railway scenic, although a signal box nearby is useful, a cottage is often a good choice set up a garden a car parking area, pop a few cows or sheep on a bit of grass, you do not need expensive static grasses, a plastic bottle to shake it in will provide enough static to do a decent job.

if possible keep rolling stock together in context, although a preservation station allows for plenty of choice, any cheap junky wagons should be considered as weathering opportunities, as cheap test items.

these will get you up and running, look at the likes of Willies layout carefully he has the perfect opportunity for you to see areas slowly building up to well developed areas that photograph beautifully.

the art of this is to enjoy, and not stress, keep it simple,you will gain confidence slowly,and can ask constructive questions as you hit specific problems, and keeping it child friendly with occasional non real creatures etc is perfectly acceptable, this is about enjoying the hobby from as many angles as possible, and keep it child friendly can be a grandchild or your own inner child, but being able to have a vanilla - ie realistic option will inevitably leave more credability with a wider audience, which is why I personally do both.
CF2BFFC6-8C65-4E96-B0D2-9BA9DC229DC0.jpeg

town planding is liquid and moving bits around and testing is best
i personally like foam I can push trees etc into p,ace not like the result pull them out again with minimal fuss
from this to this
CE5FBFBC-B7FB-419A-9C20-32D3CEA89F33.jpeg

10926094-805D-4EE3-9D5A-45958A6524BA.jpeg

I can also make platforms to size, insulation sheet at 25mm is perfect for 00,

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks for all button-clicks and/or comments on my blast furnace photo - James, Louis, Rick, Tom-O, Hughie, OBKen, Guy, SteveJ, Chad, Sherrell, Joe, Patrick, Christian, Tom-Cambria, Willie, Jaz, Karl, Curt . (Hope I didn't miss anybody...)

. . .
Ken- Great looking steel mill.
. . .
Thank you Tom!
Ken- They have galvanized looking pipe which would work for you.
LOL, I wasn't referring to the pipes - I should have specified that I didn't think the TTX flatcar was around during my era! But thanks for sharing about those galvanized pipe models, guess I'll have to invest in some of those.

. . .
IBKen - Those concrete lego blocks are common around here. Those are not CN property, they act as a barrier between the tracks and a private business. Mostly, they are used to build a quick retaining wall type structure. - Those blocks show up in quite a few of my photos, as that spot is so handy a place to . ..
I really like the steel mill! Well done on that structure!
. . .
Much appreciated, Guy!

. . .
IB Ken- Beautiful looking steel mill. Great color usage.
. . .
Thanks Curt, it was actually quite easy: Camouflage flat brown, with a thin mist of zinc chromate primer.

Well, I didn't get any "fun" train time today, since it was a 9-hour workday followed by a chore I'd been putting off for way too long: Moving all my boxes and bins of train-related stuff out of the downstairs den and back into the trainroom, wherever I could fit it. (I'd had it temporarily stored in the den in preparation for the MER 2021 op session.) Then my wife didn't get home until ~8pm and we didn't finish cleaning up from supper until 9pm. Oh well, at least that box-moving chore is 90% done - all that remains is a large rubbermaid tub that will require two adult males to haul up the steps into the garage, I'll need to wait until my son is here to help me with that.

Tomorrow is the one day of the week I have to be on-site, so with the rush-hour commute, it won't leave me with any more free time than today. But at least the weekend is approaching!

I'll leave you all with another legacy shot, a continuation of the view to the right of yesterday's photo - the mill yard in the foreground, with the oxygen furnace facility in the distance:
02_BOF_and_CokeWorks.jpg

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Last edited:
Good evening gang!

Well I had a celebration yesterday as I made another orbit around the sun again. Had a bday dinner at my parents last nite. Mom can still cook like nobodies biz. Looking forward to working on the layout in the coming weeks. I am all tagged out for the bow season. I have my eye on this bruiser for gun season if he hangs around. He is a mature buck. 10 pointer, he has an injury from previous years possibly from fights in the ruts. He has 5 points up on one side and the other side his antlers go out sideways then down with 5 points. He is a squirrley looking thing. I hope to be able to harvest him we shall see. He will tip the scales easily at 180 or more. It should give about 70 pounds of meat. Thats all I care about is the meat. I won't mount the head or nothing like that, I just want the meat!

20211103_220025.jpg

Anyways on the MRR front, my elder sister sent me a Paypal gift card to buy something for the train room. She knows my hobbies. Pops got me some whiskey. My younger sister got me a gift card from Lowe's hardware. I cant complain! So I will be paying a visit to my LHS to get a few more items, mainly switches.

I may be off the radar the next 3 weeks as things will get busy with the fore mention things including Turkey day. Tomorrow I have to have my 1st tooth extraction. I have never had any dental work before ever, I unfortunately cracked my #18 lower left molar which is the one in the way back on the left side lower jaw location. Cracked it front to back right down the center! It was due to a bad PTSD dream I had last month. I awoke clenching my jaw in the middle of the night and unbeknowingst to me, I cracked it. Painfull yes. Had an infection 2xs in the last 30 days. After 2 consultations and xrays, UV light and a microscope recon on the tooth they found the crack and determined it has to be extracted. I am bummed out. Tomorrow at 10 am will be the unfortunate event.

I went to Hobby Lobby the other day and got some rolled cork on the cheap 1/16" thick 24"x48" for 18 bucks. I got 3 rolls. I will use these in the yard and engine shop and car shop area. I like the thickness as it is thinner than the cork road bed so it creates a little transition elevation wise. Hope to get that done very soon.

I gotta catch up on some reading on all of your posts. From what I see so far great pics and post awesome!

Later!

My first post in the coffee shop, I usually read here but never post, figured my amateurism would show lol Lots of great photos of the real thing and the models, good stuff👍 Still working on bench work, but once track starts getting laid will open a new post so you guys can tell me what I am doing right, but mostly let me know what I am doing wrong😉 Work comes early, off to bed, take care all…

I don't know the details but I thought that preventative care was supposed to be covered at 100% by insurance companies due to so-called "Obamacare" mandates for what is acceptable insurance. I'd dig a bit deeper into this to see if this is on the up-and-up. (I could also be wrong, but I know that after Obamacare passed more preventative stuff was added to our plan at no cost)

ETA: don't know who these folks are but they say this: https://www.kff.org/health-reform/fact-sheet/preventive-services-covered-by-private-health-plans/

Good morning all! A cold 26 degrees heading up to 51 and sunny today. Had a great day off yesterday. Loaded up some old junk I needed to get rid of into my truck and headed off to the scrap yard. They paid me $10.50 for it, but I'd have paid that to get rid of the stuff. A little more to take on my day off Monday that wouldn't fit in the truck yesterday.

After that, my wife and I went and had lunch with my parents. Mom fixed us a great lunch and dessert. I hadn't seen them since before my birthday, so I got my birthday card (with $50!). I really enjoyed the day. I'm always thinking of family questions I don't have answers to but never remember to ask them when I'm with my parents. Found out more about how my dad's parents met and wound up living where they did. Grandpa worked for the Illinois Central and bid for a section foreman position in the town where my dad grew up. He got the job and they moved there a year or two before Dad was born.

Anyway, after visiting with them and stuffing myself at lunch, I headed home and took a long nap. Back to work today.
Hope you all have a great day!
OB Ken
My first post in the coffee shop, I usually read here but never post, figured my amateurism would show lol Lots of great photos of the real thing and the models, good stuff👍 Still working on bench work, but once track starts getting laid will open a new post so you guys can tell me what I am doing right, but mostly let me know what I am doing wrong😉 Work comes early, off to bed, take care all…
I'm totally amateur, but I still post anyway ;) I enjoy the camaraderie in the shop.

I don't know the details but I thought that preventative care was supposed to be covered at 100% by insurance companies due to so-called "Obamacare" mandates for what is acceptable insurance. I'd dig a bit deeper into this to see if this is on the up-and-up. (I could also be wrong, but I know that after Obamacare passed more preventative stuff was added to our plan at no cost)

ETA: don't know who these folks are but they say this: https://www.kff.org/health-reform/fact-sheet/preventive-services-covered-by-private-health-plans/
When I first started with this company, health insurance was paid by the company, and the employee contributed $20 a week toward it. The "new" GM, who took over from his father in 2013, has been steadily chiseling away what few benefits we had, in the name of cost-cutting. The company contribution has eroded to zero, then the benefits of the insurance plan have dropped from what was "not great" to "terrible". The GM has stated if he wasn't required by law to offer the insurance, he'd get rid of it in a heartbeat, since the effort of offering it, collecting the premiums and submitting them, and record keeping costs money.
Our current "benefits" are 15 days vacation after ten+ years of service. We used to have luncheons and get-togethers at holidays, the last to go was our "holiday luncheon", which combined Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year after those individual get-togethers were eliminated to cut costs.
We all work, get paid, go home. I didn't realize until I started typing this how bad it's gotten, and maybe if I don't make the cut to stay working here, it could be considered an opportunity.

Well, howdy there, internet cafe dwellers.

It's Troy Again

Just coffee Flo. Spending next week in Vegas!-Baby! and I don't need to pack on the pounds from one of Mel's stack of hot cakes.

Today, let's talk about sound. Specifically tunes in the train and hobby room.

Here's my set-up:
Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 6.01.22 AM.png

In the distance is the TV with 5.1 surround, and an AppleTv box that usually is playing Pandora tunes.

You can see Pandora on the laptop - which has the big monitor connected as well. In between the two screen is a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. That's now hooked to the laptop.

Even if the surround on the AppleTv has Klipsch (yes, I'm name dropping. Love Klipsch sound ;) ) RB speakers connected, when I'm at writing desk or hobby desk (behind me as I type this), I have to crank the speakers loud for me to hear the front channel from the other end of the basement. Loud enough that the spousal unit and her pointy-finger of doom show up and tell me to turn it down.

Hence the ProMedia system

This morning I tried re-routing the front channel to the back speakers (behind my desk), since I plan on being here most of the day.

Then I hit pause, and started the same Pandora channel on my laptop with the ProMedia speakers.

I think I like the ProMedia and the intimate sound they give being right in front of me.

So... What's your music/sound set up in your hobby/train rooms? Anyone else need good tunes and great sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back