Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all. Decaf is my friend. Reheated if possible.
Getting into the colder months here in Virginia so working on the HO scale will take up more of my days now.
Sherell, saw the game too and the batter who crowded the plate. Good tactic. I played county league soft ball several years ago until I moved out to the farm country. Putting the ball way out over the fence was quite easy if ya did it right. Arms straight, flick of the wrist and solid body follow through. Produced a towering hit that would hit the trees in their tops and send the kids searching for it.
Back to railroading, HO scale. Finishing up the small adjustments to the yard module so it matches up to the adjoining modules better and the dwarf signals are working right. The other end of the yard module will be next with the dwarf treatment then going through all the modules to smooth out the warping problem.
Our next show will be in February at Timonium, MD so I have plenty of time to work on em.

Talking about apples...I'm looking for the variety that's sort of sweet and a bit sour. Red on top and a green on the bottom of the apple. The last time I purchased them, the bag opened and the apples fell to the garage floor and began riddled with gravel embedded in the apples.

We have plenty of orchards around here so I should be able to find them.

Greg

Last edited:
Christian - Put an X crossing in that layout, and a couple 2x4 pieces to act as buildings, and you have the layout I had as a youngster.
Good idea. Thanks. But I already added a third oval of track on my layout. This last oval is not exactly a paradise for GP's if you see what I mean...but I'm very happy with the result. I used Peco, Hornby and Trix C track.

09.jpg

BTW - My wife really gets into the Holidays! I think that I have mentioned all the totes of decorations that I have to wrestle with each year - grumble, grumble!
Last night we had 169 visitors - she gets the large candy bars - seven boxes of 30 each.
It's a hoot watching the little ones' eyes get big when they see the large bars and the remarks they say to each other about "this is the house that has the big ones"!
That's down a bit -- the year before last we had 189 --I think that was our highest.
She has a few leftovers - Anyone wants a KitKat or Peanut Butter Cup?

Good Morning all! A beautiful morning, 68 and sunny. The humidity creeping up but not to bad.

Flo, nice table cloths, a couple a scrambled eggs with bacon and coffee.

Gooooooooo Astrooooooooos

Today we are making a grocery run so I need to eat and run
Yesterday we had a few visitors so no train time, posting an archive photo.

1635781376403.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Dang it Troy.....Now it's your fault I'm craving apple butter on my muffin this morning....I'll bet it smells wonderful!

Terry: Paid $1.39 for both Gala and Red Delicious this weekend. The wind took the 4 small Arkansas Black apples I had on the tree. They were hard but tasty. The tree isn't very big yet but I have hopes...

Only trick or treaters we had at our house were the grandkids as we, due to getting up really early, were in bed by 7:30.
Wife faced a dilemma... I said I'd take us to 5-Guys for burgers for lunch... She was about to start the canning process (filling and boiling Ball jars) but that would have had her working past lunch time. So she slowed down the crock pots. One may have slowed too much. But the other about to begin the process.

Wife said we're going to Texas for a steak tonight!

I thought: WOOHOO! Go see Willie and have him fire up the grill... but she really meant steak at Texas Roadhouse here in Fort Wayne IN.

Oh well... maybe we'll sit at the other Willie's table. ;)

I always give my leftover Halloween candy to my grand kids who are local. I usely get a call from one of them about 9pm asking what kind and how many are left over.
I tell em we still have the make up Halloween for the kids who were sick and couldn't go out. Also tell em about the practice Halloween about a week in advance for the kids to try their costumes out and practice knocking on doors or ringing the doorbell then saying "trick or treat". It's also for the adults to make sure they have the right kind of candy. My g kids want so bad to move out here.

Afternoon All,

Today the wife gave me the day off from the book fair :). I made use of the time to work on the lighting issues with the mine. I thought about it for awhile tried connecting the exterior lights a different way and it didn't work again. I didn't want to have to drill 3 more holes in the structure for power cables (basically 3 structures attached together). At this point I thought they should work if I attach the exterior leads to the leads of the interior lights, and it finally worked...that was painful. Tomorrow book fair...ugh!

Greg- Great patina on the pipe load.

Troy- Apple butter is yummy.

Willie- Nice scene. Is that the same van type that was used in Scooby Doo?

Guy- Nice photos.

Hughie- Nice scene.

20211101_121658.jpg

20211101_121715.jpg

20211101_121735.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning from Paradise. 78f degrees heading to 82 and the winds are calm and the views are outstanding. Good news I slept till 6am or about 1.25 hours ago. My brother is itching to head to the golf course and I am going. The little brother spent about an hour last night hitting golf balls fixing a hook. The girls are heading north for some shopping.

I did yesterday look at the boxes of stuff I had sent here for modeling. I have paint, pan pastels, and a few boxes of structures. I also found the Evergreen styrene and I have more then I thought, at least more then my LHS at home that has lots. I cannot find the tools or the glued but I will. I have a 8’x10’ room to build my shop I in. Everything must be removable as this is hopefully temporary for about 18 months. We made the trip up to see the building site. The garages are in and they are covered now with dirt that surprised the brother. When he Skyped with the builder 2 weeks ago they were not covered. The foundations to the houses are in but have been for a few months and nothing since.

I have looked online for a small used pickup. No such thing here. I need something to haul stuff for the shop but might have to let HD deliver. All is good. We saw the grandkids yesterday in costume on Facetime and they were cute and raring to go out last night. There is no trick or treating in this neighborhood but I am not sure if it’s HOA rules or government.
Enjoy your day
TomO

House update. The last week or so we finished the small amount that only had three layers: added a fourth and then the fifth, and by Saturday evening we had almost everything up to the fifth layer of blocks. Only a small amount in the front, seen in the pics, is left. We've been doing it with ladders (each row is 18" high).

Today we got 3 cases of braces for the walls delivered. These attach to the walls to hold them up for pouring cement, and also have scaffolding arms built in so we can add planking and go higher. Had to hire a crane to lift the crates off the trailer and into the hole. Each crate is supposedly 1700 lbs in round numbers. I was expecting 4 crates but the guy who delivered them said that was all they had at the moment. I need to read up on how these are used (spacing etc) and exactly how they are put together. My company is giving us tomorrow off (election day -- they started this last year) so I will be out all day working on things... We'll get the last handful of blocks up for the 5th layer and as much bracing as possible.

IMG_5086.jpegIMG_5087.jpegIMG_5088.jpegIMG_5090.jpegIMG_5092.jpegIMG_5096.jpeg

is that the basement? Should have a huge empire with that.

Yes. The long narrow bit on the front left is cold storage under the porch. The bits on the right (the long bit the length of that wall and the bigger bit next to it towards the camera) are under the garage and I get to claim 3/4 of it for hobbies :) The last quarter is for normal active food storage (the stuff most actively being used that doesn't fit in the pantry in the kitchen). I couldn't tell the wife I wanted 1/2 the basement for my hobbies but I could tell her I wanted the space under the garage :)

All the main living space is on the main floor (so when I am old and decrepit I don't have to negotiate stairs). As such, the main floor footprint is a little larger than it would be if we were doing a double story house. That makes the basement larger. It has a guest bedroom, a family room/TVroom/small kitchen combo, and various storage and other use rooms and some open area.

The area above the garage will be "bonus space" but otherwise there is nothing above the main floor. The bonus space will have a train room above the two car portion of the garage, and a couple small offices on the long single garage (I work from home, and a craft room for daughter's school projects, and the wife will get a small office she'll never use)... The rest of the area above the main floor is vaulted/cathedral -- everywhere including bedrooms. There is no attic space.

Last edited:
Good evening. It's already in the 40s and dropping. Heat has been quite active since nightfall. Today, I spent the morning accompanying the wife while she unsuccessfully sought to buy some yarn for a hat, buy an Embroidering magazine, and something else. No stock - no sale. Then we stopped at the "Ack-a-me" and left with 40 Bucks worth of groceries. Then to the pharmacy to pick up two prescriptions that were "ready", per text message. One was, one wasn't, so I had to wait a additional 20" while the computer printed out the label. Both Rxs were pre packaged. :confused: .
Not for nothing, if they are not ready, don't notify me until they are ready.

Curt: The coal breaker building looks good with lights.
Guy: Nice photos. - That beaver looks like he has been busy with that dam.
Chad: Nice progress.
Ken (VA): Nice to see you active here again.
Willie: The Jeep antenna reminds me of C-B antennas from back in the day.
Sherrel: I agree on crowding the plate. Wasn't that the Charlie Lau system of hitting? Crowd the plate and hit the pitch out of the infield. No need to swing for the fences every bat. Baseball is a Summer game, not meant to be played in November, it's Hockey season. Reggie Jackson was Mr. October, named for his Series exploits, Mr. November would not sound right... My father used to comment that TV would be the ruination of boxing. Not for nothing, TV has become the ruination of all sports, (and more).

More photos of the 1963 Elkton MD wreck, courtesy of the Singerly Fire Company (MD), and the Cecil Whig, Wilmington News Journal.
Wilm News journal Photo 11-01-21.jpg

W Elkton MD TH1 wreck 10-31-1963.jpg

The Baltimore Wreck Train on the right, and the B&O Relief Train on the left work to clear the main, after the fire was extinguished.
W Elkton MD TH1 wreck 10-31-1963-2.jpg

From the North end, the Wilmington Wreck Train on panel rail, working on removing the burnt out tank cars, so the track department could construct replacement track.

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

I haven't had time to read thru all the November posts yet, because I've been snapping more photos of my layout before any cobwebs and dust have a chance to reappear. I'll get back to the replies once I'm done with this message.

I see D&J Ken has started posting here regularly again; now we've got three (3) "Kens" in the Shop!

A heartfelt THANKS to everybody who 'like'd or commented on the photo I shared on Saturday: Patrick, Chad, Jerry, Willie, Guy, Hughie, Louis, Karl, Dave, Joe, OB-Ken, Lee, Sherrell, Christian

Here are a couple more photos I snapped this afternoon. I'm capturing the scenes from the perspective of a visitor who's entered thru the side door and slowly walking around the Southern peninsula. First, an unedited view of the back alley of the Merchants Row on the main drag (moving slightly leftward from the Union 76 shot I posted on Saturday):

LinndaleDenisonBackAlley_raw_sm.JPG

...and continuing around the blob, we see the main street (a.k.a. Denison Avenue). This one was easy to edit-out the ceiling eyesores just by "stretching" the sky upward:

LinndaleViewAlongDenisonAve_sm.JPG

...and that's all I have time to share tonight. The next ones will be more interesting - I promise!

P.S. I just noticed the order in which I listed Hughie's and Louis' names above, and I was reminded of THIS:

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back