Coffee Shop XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Shop-Vac hangup now has a new filter but not the type I wanted. Lowe's doesn't the 903-98 cartridge. I'll have to order it online when I have the money for it. The filter I put in is a combination of several filters. A foam sleeve topped by a paper filter topped by a fine mesh cloth filter. Anything that can get through all that is indeed very fine. I also picked up a half-pint can of mis-tinted satin paint. It's very close to an emerald green.

It's cooling off here. Tonight's temp will be in the upper 30's.

Good morning...

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png

:cool:

TIPTONDEPOT2.png

Good morning folks

It was 48 F as I hit the strangely dark roads this morning. Our high today will be 56 F.

We watched a couple of college volleyball games last night over the Internet. We watched Stevenson against York (PA) and Salisbury versus Mary Washington. First time we have watched games this way. We were going to watch Philadelphia University play in person but we misread the time and the game started before we were ready to leave.

My son was supposed to go camping with his Boy Scout troop this weekend but it is doubtful now. He jammed one of his toes in his soccer game yesterday. The toe was swollen and painful last night. This morning the swelling is down and he is still having some pain. He is having some problems walking this morning. We will see how his doing when he gets home from school.

Did not get any train time in last night. I did, however, take a look at the layout and assess what I need to do to get it cleared off.

This weekend is another college weekend for my daughter and us. We may go see Lehigh play Colgate or West Chester University play Kutztown University in volleyball. We have not seen a Division 1 or 2 game in person. It will depend on how much driving I feel like doing. On Sunday we will be attending an Open House at Delaware Valley College and meeting with the volleyball coach.

If my son does not go camping we will be working on completing a couple of merit badges. We could work on Traffic Safety and/or Railroading.

As far as modeling I am hoping to start clearing off the layout and workbench. If all goes well I may try to take a couple of photos. I also need to take inventory of my modeling supplies.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good morning. It's 39° and sunny. The high will be a balmy 64°.

Thank God it's Friday even though it's just another day to me. The groceries have been bought, bills are paid, any packages have been sent out, needed items have been bought and the vans gas tank is full. Now I have only a few pennies to rub together. Oh well, it could be worse.

I think today I'll finally get the L&A decals on the Front Range hopper and get it weathered. I need to tear down the track cleaning tank car and paint the body MoW gray. I'm still waiting on a bulk pack of Kadee #5 couplers that I got for a very good price. Only problem is they're coming by snail express. I managed to find a 128mb Smart Media card for my Olympus camera at a civilized price. The old card is still working but is splitting apart on the end and one side. The only thing keeping it together is a bit of electrical tape. At some point I'm going to have to look around and see if I can find my coat. It's getting a little too nippy here for my usually formal dress of jeans and a T-shirt.

P1012434.jpg

Jeffery - I'm glad our idea of a formal dress code is jeans and a tee shirt.

My wife says skivies and flip flops will NOT be allowed when I retire as a dress code. Something about not living long enough to collect the first month's check if I try the skivies and flip flops?:confused::mad:

I'll be glad to call jeans and tee shirt a "formal" dress code.

It has been a busy week.
Trying to get layouts set up at the McWane Science Center in downtown Birmingham occupied last weekend and Monday night. about all that is left is to hook up the camera engine on Saturday morning before the public arrives and a few other details.

But I get to miss opening weekend due to my daughter moving into her new house. The last couple nights have seen moving a few boxes and putting up ceiling fans and window blinds. I get to finish up the blinds tonight and help move furniture Saturday and Sunday.
Hopefully, mixing Bengay and Advil will not be an explosive combination in my body!:D

Y'all have a great weekend!

Do those work well enough to invest in one? Currently all my trackage is accessible, but in my head the track plan will have the obligatory tunnel. If those work well enough, I'll have to get one.

Say Patrick,
I have an MDC/Roundhouse, powered Early Box Cab Diesel track cleaner that has spring loaded plungers on each corner that ride over the rails with semi eliptical bases that the cleaning pads attach to. You'd be amazed at the amount of crud the little pads collect. They are easily cleaned off with a fine soft brass wire brush of light use of the wire wheel on the Dremel tool.

I recently picked up a second powered, MDC Early Box Cab Diesel Track off Ebay for my layout. These units also come as dummies but have the same heavy frame base as the motorized units and could be motorized too with all the necessary components and geared trucks.

Not only do they do a great job but they're fun to operate and of course have Kadee's on each end and have a lot of pulling power due to their weight and their eight wheel drive system.

The same thing could be done if you had MDC's Old Time Climax Loco as again the frame and drive train is all the same. It's just a matter of mounting the plunger ends on the frame which requires two small screws.

The track cleaner is the same as the MDC Box Cab with the track cleaning ends added to it.

MDC_Box_Cab_Track_Cleaner_Reszd_600x400.jpg

Good morning folks

It was 48 F as I hit the strangely dark roads this morning. Our high today will be 56 F.

We watched a couple of college volleyball games last night over the Internet. We watched Stevenson against York (PA) and Salisbury versus Mary Washington. First time we have watched games this way. We were going to watch Philadelphia University play in person but we misread the time and the game started before we were ready to leave.

My son was supposed to go camping with his Boy Scout troop this weekend but it is doubtful now. He jammed one of his toes in his soccer game yesterday. The toe was swollen and painful last night. This morning the swelling is down and he is still having some pain. He is having some problems walking this morning. We will see how his doing when he gets home from school.

Did not get any train time in last night. I did, however, take a look at the layout and assess what I need to do to get it cleared off.

This weekend is another college weekend for my daughter and us. We may go see Lehigh play Colgate or West Chester University play Kutztown University in volleyball. We have not seen a Division 1 or 2 game in person. It will depend on how much driving I feel like doing. On Sunday we will be attending an Open House at Delaware Valley College and meeting with the volleyball coach.

If my son does not go camping we will be working on completing a couple of merit badges. We could work on Traffic Safety and/or Railroading.

As far as modeling I am hoping to start clearing off the layout and workbench. If all goes well I may try to take a couple of photos. I also need to take inventory of my modeling supplies.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Hi Tom and your Son,
Glad to see your son is involved in Boy Scouts, it's a very worth while experience for him. I went all through Scouts myself and am an Eagle Scout and lacking one merit badge from having my second Palm.

I was involved in model railroading back then too and that's one of the merit badges I earned too. I might even become a counselor for that too now?

Railroading and learning a bit about the local history can be quite fascinating!

One fellow, Sam Small used to work for a company building Flat Cars and I don't remember just which company that was now? Old Sam has long since passed on but he was a colorful guy who played the banjo.

Some photo's of your layout would be great.

Enjoy the railroading time with your son, I sure miss my Dad and I'm going on 66 soon but remember many good times we had together! He'll cherish the time spent with him as he gets older.

Take care,
David

Hopefully, mixing Ben gay and Advil will not be an explosive combination in my body! If Ben-Gay and Advil do make a combustible solution you'd better watch out and not get to close to Carey cause he might explode from all the meds he ingests. Have fun at Mc Wane I enjoyed looking over the layout with Carey last June. There are some real interesting scenes on that thar layout. To bad the swimmers had to don their bathing suits.

Good afternoon Guys,
It a cool 59* under Cloudy skies with the high only to be 60* with a low tonight of 37* burr, and we did get some rain last night but today is supposed to be sunny but the big Cumulous Clouds say otherwise except there is also a fair amount of Blue sky too but more rain is due on Sunday.

Yesterday I got in gear somewhat early rather than being on the computer and put rebuild the end facia's on the South facing side of my tool shed and put drip moulding on them and the 22' edge and then screwed on 11 sheets of Galvanized roofing and just got finished as the lighting was starting to get pretty dim.

Let me tell you, this almost 66 year old guy was just about done in after all of that but glad I could do it!

That South side has needed the roof to be replaced for the longest time so I feel a lot better about what I got done but still need to climb there again and put the ridge caps on and think I should do that very soon now. The North side of the comp roof isn't bad at all fortunately but I bought enough roofing to cover it too I think.

All I can say is thank God for my cordless drill and quick charge batteries!

I wasn't planning on doing anything today but I hear the gods calling for me to get the ridge caps put on but that should be an easy job to do.

So I'll see you guys later.

At least if I have 3 feet of water on the main level of the house again, the town will be wiped out. My house sits 25 feet above the main downtown, so a flood that deep will cover most of the second story of downtown.
That's like me here. I'm on a hilltop. Almost every place around mine is lower and most of them would be underwater by the time the water reached my top doorstep, IF it could get that high. The lake dam would have been over-topped and cut by the time the water got into the lowest floor area of my parents house. That would put it twelve feet above normal lake level and it's NEVER gotten that high. The highest was eleven and a half feet and the dam looked like a waterfall. So much water was going over that it couldn't rise any more. They opened the gates anyway because the water was cutting the top of the dam to pieces. Boy, were the fishermen pissed! All those fish! But, what's better, a controlled flood downstream or a dam break releasing a 4,224 acre body of water that would wipe out the towns downstream? Either way, say goodbye to the fish.

As I said earlier I did go out and put the two ridge cap sections up as well as a 40" piece of Aluminum flashing to cover the center section. No rain but it looked like it might?

I then came in and covered up the ten ceiling vents as it's supposed to get down to 37* tonight to keep some heat in. The next thing I know it's raining out and as I looked I could see the rain skating down the metal roofing so I just got finished in time!

Thanks for the information David. I have seen several types, but have not purchased anything yet.

My son was in Scouts...I was a leader from his Tiger Cub to his Troop days. Our troop kind of fell apart after a flood took out nearly 1/4 to 1/3 the town we live in. He was 3 badges away from his Eagle and had already completed his service project, which as luck would have it, was also destroyed by the flood. That's something I wouldn't wish again on anyone. We have since moved to higher ground. At least if I have 3 feet of water on the main level of the house again, the town will be wiped out. My house sits 25 feet above the main downtown, so a flood that deep will cover most of the second story of downtown.

Say Patrick,
About your Son's community service project being destroyed, surely other scouts and/or parents saw what he had done and could verify it and that should satisfy the scouting commissioner. Also if you guys took any pictures that is also proof of what he did.

I'll bet he possibly even helped others involved in the disaster with all the flooding and that should most definitely apply too!

Hope this helps,
David

It's supposed to get down in the mid 40's here tonight with an ENE wind. At least that won't be right off the lake. High temp tomorrow should be around 70.

Good morning. It's 42° and clear. The high is due to be 70° and it will be partly cloudy.

Only items on the schedule today is some layout cleanup and getting laundry done.

P1012660.jpg

Hi everyone! Beautiful day in the "Heart of Dixie".
Guess most of you know the hype with tonights 7pm CST, Bama vs. LSU game. Even if you are not a big college football fan, this is one bruising game that you should not miss. The fans are pouring into T-town by the thousands: car and air. I've never seen so many planes landing starting yesterday and continuing every few minutes all day, today. They have closed one runway to allow for enough parking. They are predicting near 150,000 plus fans will be at the stadium or tailgating somewhere around. I've heard on the news that some tickets are selling for over $4000.00 EACH:eek:. (mine is FREE, in my living room;) )

Lately, I have been busy building and painting DPM kits. I have a pile of them to do and they will probably be my layout work for the next month or so. I hope to finish one town by Christmas, but that all depends on interruptions and how many Op sessions I have.

Still waiting on my QSI Titan Diesel decoders. Man, they must be having some serious problems trying to download into them. Anyone heard anything about this lately? I may switch to something else, if I can find one that has ~the same size.

ROLL TIDE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back