Coffee Shop XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all,
The weather inside the back pourch was 46* this morning and supposed to get to 62* according to Castle AFB but I seriously doubt it will make it under cloudy skies that are over me now.

Hi Rex, Good to see you back again.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

I finally got the L&A decals put on the Front Range 'Shorty' covered hopper. I'm running low on decals now. I guess I can try making some. I have decal paper but my old printer will likely screw them up like it almost always does. The hopper has been sprayed with Clear Flat and is drying. I'll post a photo tomorrow morning.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1012667.jpg

Good morning. It's 60° and cloudy. Weather guesser says the high will be 75°. Wind SE 10 to 15 mph. It will be partly cloudy.

Just general cleanup today. What with getting the laundry done yesterday I didn't have much time for other things. I did get the L&A decals on the Front Range covered hopper and I did a fast paint and weathering job on the track cleaner tank car and applied Willamette Western decals to it. I still have to apply the Clear Flat to it to secure the weathering.

P1012663.jpg

Well, everything is pretty quiet around t-town today...numb is a better word. Yes, Bama lost one hell-of a defensive battle with LSU in OT , 9-6. Oh well, we almost did it and probably would have if it hadn't been for a bad official's call on one of our passes. All the hype about our missed field goals is just plain crazy...LSU simply kept us out of range for our kicker. None the less, both teams played like pros with LSU having the edge. Still a lot of football ahead.

Back to licking my wounds. :(:D

Rex
Don't feel bad about the loss. Its better than the impending doom!

The Ravens play Pittsburg tonight. Yeah, we overhauled them last time, but I have my doubts the 2nd time around.
What really sucks is that I was on pins and needles most of the afternoon about the NASCAR race, (Yeah Tony!) now I have the rest of the night with football.:eek:

Is it too early to call in sick for tomorrow???:confused:

Good morning. It's 60° and cloudy. Weather guesser says the high will be 75°. Wind SE 10 to 15 mph. It will be partly cloudy.

Just general cleanup today. What with getting the laundry done yesterday I didn't have much time for other things. I did get the L&A decals on the Front Range covered hopper and I did a fast paint and weathering job on the track cleaner tank car and applied Willamette Western decals to it. I still have to apply the Clear Flat to it to secure the weathering.

P1012663.jpg

Jeffrey. Is it my eyes, or are there 2 different trucks on that covered hopper?:confused:a

Good morning. It's 65° and foggy. After the fog lifts it will be cloudy. The high is expected to be 76° and it will be mostly cloudy. There's a 1-% chance of rain today changing to 40% after 8 pm.

I did some cleanup on the layout last night and this morning. While it's still not at it's best it is better than it was. I found a tree with a broken trunk. A little super glue fixed it right up. I had dinner at my parents place last night. Steak with rice, onion, green and red peppers and tomatoes. I don't take tomatoes well and my body is letting me know all about it. As a result I won't be doing much today.

Good morning folks

It was 42 F when I headed out onto the fog covered highways this morning. Our high will be 61 F.

It was a busy weekend. On Saturday we saw two volleyball matches on Saturday. First we saw Kutztown at West Chester. Then in the evening we saw Northeastern at Delaware. These were the first Division 2 and Division 1 games we have seen in person. On Sunday we attended Delaware Valley College’s Open House and talked with the volleyball coach and some of the players.

My son had to stay home from camping this weekend. He injured his toe in his soccer game. He was having a good deal of pain and trouble walking. The doctor told him to ice it and take Motrin for pain and to stay off of it. He is feeling better this morning and went to school. Tonight he has his Board of Review for Life Scout at his troop meeting.

We are a Scouting family and believe in how important the program is to making leaders. My son set a goal to reach Life before he got into High School. If he completes the Board of Review tonight he will be 6 months ahead of his goal. My son has currently has 24 Merit Badges. He needs 4 more Eagle required badges. He has a few partials including Railroading he needs to complete. I am a Merit Badge Counselor for Railroading plus 6 other badges. My son is preparing to go to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico next June/July. He is the Navigator for the Philmont Crew. I am an Assistant Scoutmaster, Assistant Crew Advisor, and a Cubmaster. I will be stepping down as Cubmaster in the spring after 5 years. I will continue serving on the Pack Committee. My wife is also a Merit Badge Counselor. She conducts Merit Badge classes at her work. This weekend she had a sixteen year Eagle Scout in her class who is working toward his Bronze Palm. My daughter has helped out with the Cub Scouts for years. A couple of years ago she was recognized by the District for her help and give the District Spark Plug Award. She is now President of the Venture Crew.

I did not get any train stuff done. I thought I was but I was too tired from all the volleyball and college stuff. I did get a few things off the layout, however.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good Morning All,
It 46* earlier and very slight breeze under clear sunny skies with the high supposed to be climbing to 61* but with cloudy skies? I just looked and indeed some decent size clouds are starting to form but in the sun the air temp is very comfortable.

Things have been moving too slowly on the C&S West SL, too many things keep getting in the way it seems, like last night I went around and checked on the 9 different ceiling registers and 3 exhaust vents to ensure the cover held up with double sided carpet tape were sealing good to prevent the heat from escaping and found 3 I had to put more tape on. so I'm not making the progress I'd like to but like getting the corrigated galvanized roofing put on the tool shed it all needed to secure the place for the wet cold Winter months. Actually I also need to get up the roof of the house and garage to ensure I don't get any new leaks, especially over the garage section which is the older section that was built first and of course houses the layout.

I did go up last Wednesday to work on the layout being built for the Marine's display for Toys of Tots but it was also a demonstration for fast tracks about switch building so not too much was accomplished.

Speeking of this display layout;
Have any of you had any experience with how Homasote holds up when subjected to cold moist weather. I'm not talking about direct rain but this display layout will be set-up outside with only a canopy over it, I think, and maybe some tarps directly over the tracks at night but I'm wondering just how much moisture it might take on? It is very dense so maybe not much but I'd rather prevent problems as this is being used under the tracks for the roadbed and the air and nights up here get very moist even without rain.

So if any of you have any experience let me know if you would.

Have an enjoyable day!

From the homasote I have been around it draws moisture. I would use foam instead of homasote

Good morning folks

The doctor told him to ice it and take Motrin for pain and to stay off of it. He is feeling better this morning and went to school. Tonight he has his Board of Review for Life Scout at his troop meeting.

We are a Scouting family and believe in how important the program is to making leaders. My son set a goal to reach Life before he got into High School. If he completes the Board of Review tonight he will be 6 months ahead of his goal. My son has currently has 24 Merit Badges. He needs 4 more Eagle required badges. He has a few partials including Railroading he needs to complete. I am a Merit Badge Counselor for Railroading plus 6 other badges. My son is preparing to go to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico next June/July. He is the Navigator for the Philmont Crew. I am an Assistant Scoutmaster, Assistant Crew Advisor, and a Cubmaster. I will be stepping down as Cubmaster in the spring after 5 years. I will continue serving on the Pack Committee. My wife is also a Merit Badge Counselor. She conducts Merit Badge classes at her work. This weekend she had a sixteen year Eagle Scout in her class who is working toward his Bronze Palm. My daughter has helped out with the Cub Scouts for years. A couple of years ago she was recognized by the District for her help and give the District Spark Plug Award. She is now President of the Venture Crew.

I did not get any train stuff done. I thought I was but I was too tired from all the volleyball and college stuff. I did get a few things off the layout, however.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Hi Tom,

Glad your son is doing better, I've injured my toe too way back when. What is his name? Also let him know he doesn't have far to go to get his Eagle and not to slack up now. From one Eagle, with almost two palms, to another soon to be Eagle!! Go for it!

If he cares to view some of what I've done so far on my layout and wants to talk to me let him know I'll be glad to do that either by cell phone or on Yahoo IM or direct email. Tom, your welcome to get in touch first if you care too also of course.

I was also Assistant Scout Master and backpacking adviser and leader for the guys in the troupe but some years back. Model Railroading is also one of the merit badges I have and I should look into also becoming a counselor for it and photography and some others too maybe.

Scouting is very worth while and teaches many skills that will be useful during his life and that he can teach others along the way. I know I showed various things to a number of others at various times during my life time and saved
three lives along the way too.

Take care and enjoy this great RR forum and Scouting too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I received two freight cars today. Both are Tyco brown box models that had been retro-fitted with Fleishman couplers (somewhat smaller than those used on the Thomas and Harry Potter trains) with what seems to me a not-so-good glue as it fairly disintegrated when I removed said couplers. It appears it wasn't kind to the plastic either as it made it bubbly and fragile. I was able however to salvage the trucks. I haven't seen this particular type of coupler since the 60's. A OO Scale set I had was equipped with them.

The first car is a Tyco center flow hopper (Kellogg's 958-A released 1972). The Tyco trucks and plastic wheels were replaced with AHM trucks and metal wheels. I removed the Fleishman couplers and body mounted Kadee #5's in #242 gear boxes.

The second car is a Tyco container flatcar (SeaLand 352-B). The Tyco trucks and plastic wheels were removed and AHM three axle trucks with two metal wheelsets each were substituted. Since the photos were taken I've refitted it with the original type Tyco trucks it came with. The AHM trucks proved to be troublesome on turns. The containers have the proper SeaLand logo. There was a variation released that had the red area of the logo upside-down so the "L" was to the left of the "S" and looked like a "7". As far as I know those are worth no more than those with the proper logo.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1012679.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1012682.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1012680.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1012681-1.jpg

From the homasote I have been around it draws moisture. I would use foam instead of homasote

Hi Larry and thanks,

That's what I was somewhat thinking too, although it's so dense it almost appears as though it wouldn't.

your foam idea is probably a much better one but it's Bill's layout and Homasote is what he used for the roadbed and he already has a lot of nailed in place! Last I knew he had all the leads soldered to the old flex track and ready to be tacked in place. He's trying to get this all done to be set up the day after Thanksgiving till just before Christmas, I believe, so he's got his work/fun cut out for himself.

I was thinking that if Bill was to spray the roadbed ahead of time with a varnish or lacquer spray to seal the three exposed sides might not be a bad Idea. What do you think?

I know what the weather is like here at my place and where the layout will be set-up at the Truevalue store is even higher in elevation so it will be colder and wetter yet.

Thanks again,
David

As far as the scouts thing, my son will be 25 in a month...way too old to do anything further. The documentation is there, he just had some merit badges to complete before he could become an eagle.

Say Patrick,

Congrats to your son too, life does get in the way all too often!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back