Coffee Shop XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. More Hollywood trickery. It would have been stopped automatically if not derailed when it violated a speed or stop signal. Also all newer locomotives are made to stop automatically if the engineer doesn't work any controls or push a button to postpone the stop function. This is to prevent to possibility of a dead man being at the controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found three more covered hoppers, different makers and one reefer that I liked.

The covered hoppers are:

Model Power Granite Rock #1001, Campbell's Beans, Great Northern 173906 (shorty).

The reefer is an 'Old Dutch Cleanser' Tyco model.

Nope. More Hollywood trickery. It would have been stopped automatically if not derailed when it violated a speed or stop signal. Also all newer locomotives are made to stop automatically if the engineer doesn't work any controls or push a button to postpone the stop function. This is to prevent to possibility of a dead man being at the controls.
yea thats what I was thinking....

My work area on the layout. Two days ago you couldn't even see it.

P1012468.jpg

Not much going on here today. Went to a memorial service for my son in-laws dad who passed two weeks ago. I only knew about 4 people there but knew a heck of a lot more when I left. My wife calls me a social butterfly. LOL LOL She tells me I have never met stranger and they don't come no stranger than me.

Good morning. It's 62° with some clouds. The high will be 82° and it will be mostly cloudy.

Nothing on the agenda today accept getting the rest of the mess cleared off the layout. Of course a new batch of stuff will arrive and I will once again be working on projects. I have three more covered hoppers, a reefer and two trailers (mobile home and airstream) on the way. They should start arriving within a few days from now.

P1012487.jpg

Good Morning All, It's 70* under partially cloudy under a high lumpy sky's but the weather forecast doesn't predict rain and actually only shows tomorrow as being cloudy? The high is supposed to be 87* but that's hard for me to believe it will reach that at this point?
The main difference in the weather prediction is that it comes from Castle Air Force base or what used to be the base which is a good 70 miles away as the Crow flies and 1,800 ft. lower and not near the high mountains as I am.

I see that others have been busy at work and I need to put some Galvanized roofing on my tool shed roof as I'm sure it certainly won't last through the Winter rainy season. I need to check with a neighbor as that's what he did on his home and machine shop. May I can pay my buddy something to help me bring up the 14 - 3'x8' sheets I need. I'm not sure just how I'm going to handle the ridge cap but probably just use some Aluminum or Galvanized flashing. to make a ridge cap from?

Hope everyone has a great day and week!

Good afternoon folks.

I'm back to work after a terrible week of nasty chills and stomach problems. I'd put myself at 80%. That's not bad considering how crappy I felt just two days ago. My stomach is still sensitive and I tire easily, but that's manageable.

Yesterday I added mortar lines to my latest building project. I have tomorrow off so I hope to start assembling it if nothing else comes up. It should be a pretty cool building when I'm done.

Back to work I suppose.

Have a good night.

Good morning. It's 55° and clear. The high is due to be 83° and it will be sunny.

Well I didn't get much cleaning up done on the layout yesterday as I got called on to do other things. Can't complain much as I got lunch out of it and a garlic rotisserie chicken. I know what I'll be eating today. Hopefully I'll have time to work on the layout. I did manage to get the trash cans out to the roadside last night. Three trips, one can per trip. From the trailer to the road is downhill so that made it a little easier. Still, by the second return trip I was pretty slow. It isn't easy with just one foot. As for the other foot, well I'm actually walking on the side of what's left of my ankle. I don't recommend it. By the third and last trip I was wiped. I had to stop and rest a little a couple of times on the way back to the trailer. Hopefully there will be nothing demanding today. Last night I ordered a good used Olympus D550Zoom camera. The one I have is acting a bit flaky. To turn it on you pull the lens cover to the right until it locks. It shouldn't turn off until the cover is unlocked. However it seems that the switch is going bad and just lightly brushing the lens cover causes it to turn off. I know that eventually it'll get to the point that it won't work at all. So, as I said, I ordered a good used one that the owner says works with no problems. It's just $22 and that's much less than the $80+ quoted to fix the one I have. I have a much newer Nikon L20 I can use but it doesn't let me get as close as the old Olympus does. My parents help pay for my model railroad stuff from Ebay. They don't pay for my cameras or what I buy outside Ebay. Well, that's all for this morning.

P1012511.jpg

Good afternoon folks

It has been crazy around these parts. Since Hurricane Irene and Tropical Strom Lee hit work has been insane. We have been working nonstop on emergency repair projects. We currently have two under construction and 4 more on the way. The projects are either repairs of roadway washouts or repairs to damaged bridges. Right now the total number of bridges is that our unit is working on is 12 with more coming every day.

On the home front it has been busier than normal. MY son decided to play soccer instead of football. Most of his friends were playing soccer and too many kids he did not get along with were playing football. He is having a lot of fun and playing time since there are only 13 on the team. He has not played soccer since he was 5 years old.

My daughter ended her disappointing high school volleyball season. The team won one match out of 17. Most times they got crushed. The coaching was downright awful. On top of the poor performance of the team 8 out of the 10 girls had some type of injury that forced them to miss playing time. My daughter had the worst injury when she broke her pinky finger on her right hand. She was going for a tip off a block and another girl collided with her and the other girl’s knee landed on my daughter’s finger. I can’t blame the other girl because she was playing a position she was not familiar with and had no instructions from the coach on what to do. She just went for the ball even though it was not her ball to play. Every match there seemed to be a serious collision between girls on the team because of this. After talking to a recruiter and a couple of college coaches my daughter has decided that if the coach returns she will not play for her high school. It is just too dangerous. The college coaches she has talked to don’t care about her high school; they want to see her club season. Of course her finger has kept her off the court for the last four weeks and she is worried about try-outs coming up in another four weeks and how rust she will be. She did go to a couple of open gyms this past weekend. She was limited in some things she could do but she felt good to get on the court again. Sunday she plans on going to another open gym.

We have also been dealing with Cub Scouts, Boys Scouts, and Venturing Scouts. We started up the new scout year for the Cub Scouts. The pack has grown by 50% over last year and we finally have a group of parents who want to help. In Boy Scouts my son had his Scoutmaster Conference for Life (one rank below Eagle). He has his Board of Review in two weeks. He is continuing to get ready for his trip to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico in June and July. My daughter has been struggling with the Venture Crew. They had to cancel a few events due to conflicts with school activities. The most recent was a camping trip they had to cancel because of the PSAT tests.

On the modeling side of things nothing has been happening. With everything else going on I have not had time to do anything other than look at the workbench and layout.

I am going to try to get the forums more often than once every couple of weeks.

I hope everybody has a good day.

‎~Poor guy A man escapes from prison where he has been for 15 years. He breaks into a house to look for money and guns and finds a young couple in bed. He orders the guy out of bed and ties him to a chair, while tying the girl to the bed he gets on top of her, kisses her neck, then gets up and goes into the bathroom. While he's in there, the husband tells his wife: "Listen, this guy's an escape...d convict, look at his clothes! He probably spent lots of time in jail and hasn't seen a woman in years. I saw how he kissed your neck." If he wants sex, don't resist, don't complain, do whatever he tells you. Satisfy him no matter how much he nauseates you. This guy is probably very dangerous. If he gets angry, he'll kill us. Be strong, honey. I love you." To which his wife responds: "He wasn't kissing my neck. He was whispering in my ear. He told me he was gay, thought you were cute, and asked me if we had any Vaseline. I told him it was in the bathroom. Be strong honey. I love you too"!?!~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back