Coffee Shop Version is 11 now open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Philip,

I liked your link in the siggy:
Always be ready with an answer for the hope that's within you.

Was real glad it wasn't an Obama ad.......:rolleyes:

I thought it was pretty cool. Glad you liked it!

(And no.....no Obama ads here.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning, everyone.

Steve, you have no idea the pleasures that await you in the Spam department. :)

Jeffrey, the lighting down here does get vicious. I'm glad you ( and all your computer stuff) wasn't hurt. We had a lighning strike in the woods behind the house. Apparently the easiest path to ground was through my split rail fence because it tore up two rails and blew the end post right out of the ground! :eek:

Ray, looks like you're all having a great time at camp. Sure wish I was there.

Corey, that's good that your nephew wants to see your trains. Gives a goal to work for. All you need to do is get the track down and run some trains for him. Little kids could care less about details like scenery. :)

Tom, I hope you come up with a cheaper alternative than we did. We were replacing a bridge over a 92 foot wide hyro and irrigation canal. The canal lining was being rehabbed at the same time. We could only work at night, when we could turn off the water to the canal since it wasn't being used by the hydro plant or farmers. The road over the bridge went right through town, with the fire station and their one ambulance. There was another VFD that could respond to the other side of the bridge but they had no EMS service. We ended up paying for an ambulance and crew for almost six months before the project was complete. Kind of ruined my cost estimate. :)

Phillip, beautiful sunset. I often wonder if God made those kinds of things to keep us humans happy. That engineer looked none to happy about pulling those junkers out of that sketchy looking siding. I guess they get used to it but I can just see myself putting everything on the ground.

Paul, I hope some of your rain will finally end up down here. Out tomatoes are outstanding this year - just enough heat to really get them going but not so much that we got a lot of splitting.

Chris, looks like the tropical low is forming in the Gulf just off the west coast of Florida. It doesn't look like it will have enough time over water to become anything but a tropical depression but you guy should get a lot of rain.

Nothing that looks like rain here. Everything in the atmosphere is primed for thunderstorm formation which is why we have...none! That's right, not even one echo on radar in the whole state of Alabama. Maybe they'll all suddenly develop in an hour...or two. Grrrr.

Phillip, beautiful sunset. I often wonder if God made those kinds of things to keep us humans happy.

He does paint a pretty picture, huh?

That engineer looked none to happy about pulling those junkers out of that sketchy looking siding. I guess they get used to it but I can just see myself putting everything on the ground.

Think that siding looks like a handful? You should see the one on the other side of the main about 200ft away! (And they use it too!)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/IMG_0019_edited.jpg

Tom, I hope you come up with a cheaper alternative than we did. We were replacing a bridge over a 92 foot wide hyro and irrigation canal. The canal lining was being rehabbed at the same time. We could only work at night, when we could turn off the water to the canal since it wasn't being used by the hydro plant or farmers. The road over the bridge went right through town, with the fire station and their one ambulance. There was another VFD that could respond to the other side of the bridge but they had no EMS service. We ended up paying for an ambulance and crew for almost six months before the project was complete. Kind of ruined my cost estimate. :)

We had to do something similar on a job in my office several years ago. We had to provide a temporary shelter for a fire truck and an ambulance on the “other” side of the bridge.

On this project we will have to build a temporary road for the fire company and EMS. We just need to decide where. There is an old railroad bridge that is being half used for a bike trail next to the bridge we are replacing. It is wide enough but we are not sure if it can hold a 40-ton fire truck. The other alternate is to build a 2000 foot temporary road. The meeting went well. The fire companies were appreciative that we had taken the initiative and thought about their problem ahead of time.

I have another project that a problem with the local fire company and ambulance is helping us relocate the road. In this case the company has a marine rescue unit that has to serve lakes on both side of the bridge. Also 70% of the members live on the opposite side of the creek from the firehouse and would not be able to get to the fire station. The next available companies are more than a half hour away. We would have to build a temporary road and bridge for the fire company and school buses. Since the road has to go through forested wetlands, we have to mitigate them and get permits just like a permanent road. Since I have to go through the hassle, I decided to just relocate the road and leave the old bridge open until the new one was ready. The township and locals bought into the idea big time as did my bosses. We got the local environmental groups in favor because we are going to construct almost two acres of new wetlands and take 5 acres of undeveloped land off the market and protect it as open space.

Hey JIM! We got a boomer coming in...I think. Darn thing was headed straight for us, but is now trying to curve around. Someone in the area is just not living right...maybe me :eek: :D

Paul: Remember me bragging about having early tomatoes? Well, they are just about gone. The wife only had 5 plants and we enjoyed every sweet and delicious tomato. For this winters cooking, she put-up 18 quarts with tomatoes she got from a friend's huge garden.

Tom re: road construction: Alabama has a double fine for speeders through a construction area while workers present. They even place overtime State Troopers at the major sites to help control the action. Still, my nephew (a trooper) said that on the Interstate he has pulled them over for going 90+mph through these zones. People just don't think!

Ray: That is some beautiful country up there. Looks like everyone is having a great time.

Chris: I want some wet, wet, wet, wet, ...

Good evening from Beautiful Camp Babcock-Hovey!

Today was Insect Study in the Ecology Geology track. A camper prepares to mount a moth in his collection:

InsectStudy11.png

The Aerospace track had their final launch of the rockets they built, and flew their model airplanes.

Flight02.png

This evening was the formal dedication and ribbon cutting of the building. NYS Senator Mike Nozzolio was there to do the honors (he got us a grant to build the Science and Technology building at camp). A couple of our campers practiced holding the ribbon this afternoon.....

RibbonPractice1.png

Have a great evening!

Phillip, that really is a crummy looking siding. I'd hate to be the guy backing cars down that thing.

Tom, it's amazing all the things we have to get done that have nothing to do with construction. People just go "Put that road (or that bridge) right over there - how can it be?". :) We had to demolish the bridge on our job because they could fix he canal lining with the bridge in place and we couldn't erect the new bridge until the canal lining was fixed. Took way longer than I ever scheduled the job. Sounds like leaving the old bridge in place was by far the best plan on your earlier project. If the old railroad bridge is still sound, I'll bet it will hold a fire truck. Heck, it used to hold 40 ton boxcars. Depends on what the structural engineer says, I know.

Rex, I saw all those storms up in your neck of the woods. They were close enough that I could see the lightning to the north for a while. Then everything seemed to take a turn to the east and head off to Birmingham and Georgia. We must be living wrong or something. This is the fourth day in a row that we've had thunderstorms in the area and we've gotten five minutes of rain. :mad: But, the weather guessers say it will rain tomorrow for sure! I sometimes think they pull these forecasts right out of their butts.

Chris, that's a pretty impressive looking low that's setting up in the northern Gulf. I'm glad you're getting rain but I suspect we're going to have a bit too much rain (and lighting) for me to spend much time in the ocean in Destin. :(

Ray, you ought to see the moths we get here in Alabama. They make your eastern moths look puny by comparison. We have green scissor tail moths that have wingspreads of about 6 inches. They are absolutely beautiful. I just can't convince the wife and daughters of that when I bring them in the house to show them :D Interesting configuration on that model plane and your Science and Technology Center looks nice. I'm glad a New York State Senator was able to help you get it funded. If an Alabama State Senator showed up here, it would be to try and steal our wallets. :)

Just plain hot and humid again tonight as our rain prances off to Atlanta. High was 100 with a high heat index of 108. It's still 79 here at 1:00 am. I don't really mind the heat as long as we get some occasional rain to cool thing down a bit but this day after day of blazing heat really wears on you. We should find the guy who first invented the air conditioner and make him the State Saint for Alabama.:p

Just got a call from a friend in Australia and he was very upset, he bought a franchise 18 months ago, what he does is collect pets from the vets and peoples homes that have died then get them to a pet crematorium and then they cremate them, he then collects the ashes and returns them to the owners, job done..... But, it's just come to light the crematorium owners have been taking the remains into the bush and dumping them, what ashes they have been given out is a mystery, they could be BBQ ashes. So as you would expect the fan is spinning and the crap has hit it big time, he's stopped trading with them and will almost certainly lose his $55000 investment, he's suing them for every penny he can get and the pet owners who's pet remains have been found are also suing the crematorium, incidentally they traced most of them via the pets micro chip I.D.

I feel very sorry for him as he has invested everything he has into this business, and because of the actions of the crem he's out of work and in debt, hope he can hang the crem owners out to dry.

Just got another call, it turns out that the option to have the crematorium spread the ashes is were it's gone all wrong, they have simply not bothered to cremate the pet but they just dump it out in the bush. :(

Greetings from Florida!

WEATHER
8 AM 78 °F Partly Cloudy / Showers Partly cloudy with some scattered coastal showers.
2 PM 87 °F Partly Cloudy / Showers Scattered storms, some strong; moving inland.
10 PM 80 °F Partly Cloudy Partly to mostly cloudy.
40% Chance of rain.

LOCAL NEWS
Study: 17% of Florida's bridges 'structurally deficient'
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1
"this stinks their going to close one of my beaches:mad: to fix two bridges!"

PERSONAL NOTE
"Flo, Just a large cup of coffee to go!"

Just another work day in the rain:( if it's any thing like yesteray it will rain at noon! I'm going to start building an ark soon!LOL's

Jim. you should have gone to Punta Gorda Florida for your Vacation! Not much rain down there!

Rex The Rain........She all mine!;) :p

Good morning.

It's 79 and cloudy on this first day of August. The high will be in the mid 90's and there's a fair chance of rain later. We certainly need it.

Yesterday the fire dept had an emergency of it's own. A minor leak in the water tank of it primary water carrier turned into a major gusher. The truck is at a repair facility and we should have it back in a couple of days. It's usually during times like this that our corner of the Parish tries to burn down around our ears. I hope this time will be an exception.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/1/2008

Heat Index: 84°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 74°F

So Far Today
High: 80°F
Low: 78°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph NNE

Today High: 95 Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 75 Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Good morning folks

It was 78 F this morning on the way into the office. Our high is supposed to be 91 F.

No modeling last night. I had to attend a parent meeting for football for my son’s team. Practice starts tonight.

This weekend we have a 50th birthday party to attend on Saturday. I am not sure what Sunday’s plans are.

Modeling-wise I have to straighten up the layout from the last photo shoot. I also need to look over things and see where I want to add details. On the workbench I need to select the next round of projects. I need to make a LHS run since I need Kadee couplers.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Morning all!

Not much going on here. Another day, another dollar!

Well, I had my last class for a month last night. I still have the take home final due in a week, but no more seat time in the classroom. I'm going to miss those guys. Great folks in that class.

In the weather, a cold front will move through our area later today producing scattered thunderstorms. A few of the storms may be strong or severe. The biggest threat will be strong winds and hail. An isolated tornmado is also possible. Right now we're burning off some patchy fog, but other then that, it's not too bad out........well, other then the humidity, which in Indiana goes without saying! To see the current conditions live, click the link below.

http://www.lininteractive.com/wish/wxcent/Current_Conditions.jpg

Phillip, that really is a crummy looking siding. I'd hate to be the guy backing cars down that thing.

It beats the one on the other side of the main! (Notice how nice and "straight" those rails are!)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/IMG_0019_edited.jpg

And they use it too!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/GonFortville3-18-075.jpg

There are worse sidings around though. Like, I honestly don't know how cars on this siding don't just derail.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Picture004.jpg

Oh well, I'd best get at it!

Later!

11-29-07.png

Morning all!! Just coffee and toast for me please Flo.
Not much goin on here and I like it that way. :D
Have a great day all.

Good Morning from Calif.
It's Sunny but I see Clouds forming which seem to be higher Cerus types inter mixed with Cumulus so just maybe we might get a bit of rain? I hope!

Btw: Where I live is a foot hill area in Central Calif at about 1,875' elv and about 18 miles South of the Southern Entrance to Yosemith National Park. So being a foot hill area the weather changes quite often as the higher elevations begin at about 4 miles N. on Hwy 41 headed up to Yosemite.

Just prior to getting to Yosemite you pass by the Sugar Pine RR which is now the home to Shay's #8? and #15 from Westside Lumber Co!

Say Philip.
You said:
"There are worse sidings around though. Like, I honestly don't know how cars on this siding don't just derail."

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Picture004.jpg

That really is what can only be described as Non-Existing trackage, if it weren't for the Hopper car sitting there no-one would even have a clue that there were tracks there! Thanks for the photo.

I wonder if something like that couldn't be done too in modeling?

Just got these and figured you'd all like a good laugh!

Wisdom from Larry the Cable Guy!

1. A day without sunshine is like night.

2. On the other hand, you have different fingers.

3. 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

4. 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

5. Remember, half the people you know are below average.

6. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

7. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

8. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets The
cheese in the trap.

9. Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

10. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

11. Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

12. If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

13. How many of you believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand.

14. OK, so what's the speed of dark?

15. When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

16. Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

17. How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?

18. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

19. What happens if you get scared half to death, twice?

20. Why do psychics have to ask you your name?

21. Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, 'What the heck happened?'

22. Just remember -- if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.

23. Light travels faster than sound.. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

24. Life isn't like a box of chocolates . It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back