Coffee Shop Version is 11 now open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kitchen opens at noon! Bar open Now, early bird special is..........Flatend Bird parts with Salsa with every drink!!:D
RoadkillMenuIII.png

RoadkillMenuIIIB.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve hope my dog doesn't end up in somebodies field . My famliy is waiting for her ashes.

Afternoon everyone!

Paul, I had Shiela (the cat) cremated. The Vet assured my that the crematorium was trustworthy and that I would get her ashes back. I will be contacting the Vet this week to pick up tyhe remains and a memento that she makes of the pet. I got home from camp last night and found that my pet sitter had bought me a miniature yellow rose as a remembrance of my Mom's old kitty. Very thoughtful!

I am home from Sci Tek Quest Camp and have gone into recovery mode............ Need to get caught up on bills, sleep, wash clothes, sleep, clean house, nap, check the garden, sleep, and then nap for a while. I do love being at camp but find every year it takes a bit more to recover from it. We had a fantastic week with 21 great young men and women. Almost all were there for the first time and they all say they are coming back next year! One young man said he not only learned about science but also some valuable life skills and how to work with others. Couldn't get a better compliment.

Chris that menu sounds very much like camp cuisine.... I get my years supply of stuff that was sucked off the bones of dead animals and squashed into patties of some sort. I often look at the so called meat for the meal and say. No thanks, I don't eat meat with tire tracks on it.....:rolleyes: ;) The only good thing at the 2 different camps I work at is that they both now have a salad bar at lunch and dinner.

I haven't begun to look at the 200 or so photos I took on Friday, but will bore you with a couple more when I have..... Almost all of the parents commented on how great it was to go online every day and see what their kids had been doing. Between the two of us taking photos every day, we were going through 300 or more photos every day to pick the best for the site. Just means that I got an hours less sleep than the campers every day.

Have a great day!

I yall, I'm back from my first vacation. I'll be online for the next 9 days, until I depart for my 'bama trip. Lots of emails to sift thru, and phone calls to return. Also picked up a bug from somebody at the Retreat, now I'm fighting a sore throat and postnasal drip. Perhaps I can resume my work on an old P2K GP30 that I was doing before the tip...

Good morning from Coarsegold, Ca. & the, 'C & S West Short Line RR' [Under Construction - slowly but surely]!

The weather here is fairly hot, the high is supposed to be 96*, that's better than a 100 or higher but still too hot for me!

Is that a new waitress I see, the tall Blonde, you guys didn't tell me! Hi Sweetheart, what's your name, Susi ha, well Hi! Ok Susi, I'll have some ham and eggs with hashbrowns, and coffee and a glass of OJ if you would doll, thanks.

Now an update on the C & S West SL RR:
I'm in the process of building a curved switch in the main line where it decends down to the lower level leading to the Serpha Copper & Iron Works and Small's Oil Storage Facility [represented by the cheeze bottles]. Both these industries will be raised-up from the main line and will back up to a sloping hill with the upper line passing by behind on it's way to the Rich Hill Mines.
In Paul Scoles Scenery Videos he shows a similiar section of raised trackage on his layout with a heavy timber retaining wall with the main line passing by in front of it and I thought that looked very interesting and decided that would fit in perfectly in this location and look pretty naturql too due to the hill side behind this area.

Note that I have first used Butcher paper as a drawing base to position everything the way I wanted it to ft along with trackage & edge spacing. As as is evident the planning is done and now to start laying track. I guess the simplest way to lay the ties etc on the Sound Board beneith the paper template is to cut the the track sections out to expose the sound board.

Due to the area the main line is passing through it along the outside siding will all be at ground level with the SC&IW & SOF being raised.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10327&stc=1&d=1217707638

Here is an over all view of the area.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10328&stc=1&d=1217707638

Well that's about it other than the additional planning for various things going on im my head.

after noon guys

Got my yards done, all but mine the rain put a end to it! Might mow it tomarrow and pressure wash the patio too! And if I hadn't learned my lesson by then I'll wash and wax my truck, Needs it bad!:eek: Sorry for keep changng the menu around, just tring to make it easy to read! When I seen it when surfing the web I LMAO! I'll find a more fitting menu for here sooner or later, but for now this ROADKILL CAFE is loads of fun to make!

Ray, I thought the menu would peak some peoples intrest! I think we all ate food at one time or another that might of been considered ROADKILL!:eek:LOL's
We had Amy(Our Cocker) creamated, we miss placed her!:eek: We have found her ashes yet!

Chris, keep your eye on the Gulf. That low that has been spinning off the west coast of Florida is now officially Invest 91, which means the NHC thinks it has some potential for tropical storm development. The low is now about 100 miles offshore of ...Destin! Yes, as usual, I can have any vacation ruined by the weather. NOAA is sending a Hurricane Hunter flight out Sunday if it continues to develop. The most likely scenario is that it's going to sit there until Monday and then start moving. Where is the big question now. The computer models have it going west toward Louisiana and Texas but the motion is not well defined and the steering currents are weak so it could head east or north. Conditions in the Gulf are primed for rapid intensification of a tropical low so this one will bear watching for all of us down in the South over to west Texas. Of all the storms this year, this one has me a little worried.

Ray, I'd be asleep for about three days if I was you. :) We're not getting any younger, you know. Sounds like a great time but you do need to rest and regroup.

Ken, it always seems like you pick up some kind of bug on vacation...don't know why that is. I'm so glad not to have to go through the giant e-mail and phone call pile anymore when I go on a vacation.

David, sounds like you've got a really interesting siding and industrial area planned but your picture links are still bad. I'd sure like to see what you're doing.

Just sunny, hot and humid again here. 100 degrees right now with a heat index of 107. We're going to see the Biscuits tonight, which should be a sweaty experience. :) They've pulled into second place, only three games out of first, after a nine game win streak, so it should be a good game.

Chris, keep your eye on the Gulf. That low that has been spinning off the west coast of Florida is now officially Invest 91, which means the NHC thinks it has some potential for tropical storm development. The low is now about 100 miles offshore of ...Destin! Yes, as usual, I can have any vacation ruined by the weather. NOAA is sending a Hurricane Hunter flight out Sunday if it continues to develop. The most likely scenario is that it's going to sit there until Monday and then start moving. Where is the big question now. The computer models have it going west toward Louisiana and Texas but the motion is not well defined and the steering currents are weak so it could head east or north. Conditions in the Gulf are primed for rapid intensification of a tropical low so this one will bear watching for all of us down in the South over to west Texas. Of all the storms this year, this one has me a little worried.

Jim, I'm not worried!:D

Lord Obama, will save us;) !

Chris, LOL, I'm not sure even Obama is in control of the weather yet. Check the Pensecola radar and you can see the outer bands of this low.

David, I can see what you're doing now. Looks like a really nice transition down to the factories. That's the nice thing about laying your own track. You can make it go just where it needs to instead of jamming premade track into a space like that.

Jim, I hate to ruin your shopping trip to Destin, but bring the storm north. These little showers have done little to help the dry conditions...good for making steam though. BTW: If it's up to Obama, the storm will never make up its mind which way to go. :D :D

a 'Model Employee'
Hmmm! I wonder what he was modeled after? Makes one think, don't it.
And now we'll have a battery of lawyers, psycho annalists, all at tax payers expense, trying (and more than likely successful, to prove he didn't mean to do it and for some unknown reason it's really the fault of one of his ancestors) and to top it off, the liberal judges agreeing with them, so as to let the accused (it's not proven he did it yet) off with a slap on the wrist at most.
Ah! life above the 40th, no life like it ;)

Cheers Willis

Howdy........

I got the rest of the camp photos downloaded into the computer and up on the website.

The aerospace track had a NASA Educator work with them on Friday. Some of the demo equipment he brought with him:

NASA01.png

The ecology/geology track went to the NYS Experiment Station in Geneva (part of Cornell University) where they learned about plant DNA testing, plant pathology, pesticide application, and seed pelleting (which can reduce the use of pesticides by as much as 95%). The scientist in charge of the pelleting research lab is a friend of mine whose son was once a member of my BS Troop. Here a tech is demonstrating the process for pelleting seed.

SeedPelleting3.png

After a Pizza lunch, we went to see where the paper plates, napkins and pizza boxes all end up.... This is Seneca Meadows Landfill near Waterloo, NY. It is a very State of the Art facility where some fantastic new techniques are in place to deal with the millions of tons of garbage we create each year. Here is a new section under construction showing the liners being installed.

Landfill02.png

They are also run a major tire recycling facility and even receive tires that have been buried illegally. They use the ground up tires as part of the top liner cover.

Landfill03.png

They collect and use the waste gases from the landfill to generate electricity, preventing the gases from being released into the air and polluting. This also generates enough electricity to power 11,000 homes and has created some new industries including a hydroponics industry that is being constructed on the site. Several other companies are interested in using the waste heat and the energy from the plant. This is already creating new local jobs and helping the communities nearby. Here are the "prime movers" so to speak.......

Waste2Energy3.png

Hope I haven't bored any of you with the stuff from camp, but this is very dear to my heart.

Hope I haven't bored any of you
Not at all, I found it quite interesting, and with a question which begs to be asked. :confused:

You sat they collect the gases from the landfill site to generate electricity.
I would think these gases are burned to heat water into steam for the turbines.
Now if that is so then they have turned said gas into carbon emissions which the world is in an uproar about now days :D How did they explain that? :)

Actually I'm all in favor of making the best use of our garbage, the liner prevents contamination of the ground water and good potable water is becoming scarce to find now days.
OOP's bed time :rolleyes:
Cheers Willis

Willis, that incident in Canada is particularly revolting. Without going into the details of what this maniac was doing during the two hours the RCMP "negotiators" were talking to him, something has gone wrong with law enforcement in Canada. Everyone was off the bus but the suspect and the victim. If I was the on-scene commander, I would have given the snipers the green light the first clear shot they had and ended this. As you say, this will now drag on in the courts for years and he won't even get the death penalty because Canada is too "civilized" to have one. You cannot deal with the uncivilized in a civilized manner. I'm sorry, but he would have been bought out of that bus in a body bag if I had been in charge.

On to better things, that power plant is using methane gas to heat the boilers and generate steam. A landfill gas power plant burns a waste - methane --- that would otherwise be released into the atmosphere or burned off in a flaring process. Methane is a highly potent agent of global climate change, having about 23 times the negative impact on a pound-by-pound basis as CO2. Landfill gas combustion produces some CO2, but the impact of these emissions on global climate change is offset many times over by the methane emission reductions. So, yes, there are still carbon emissions but we are making a huge reduction in methane emissions, which has many times worse effects on the atmosphere.

Ray, pretty impressive stuff for kids to be learning. It does my heart good to see the leaders of tomorrow learning these kinds of things rather than the ones I see hanging around in parking lots learning other things. :mad:

Rex, there's on model, the GFDL, that now wants to develop Invest 91L into a tropical storm and take it north into Florida and Alabama. It's the outlier of all the models, that want to take it to southern Louisiana and central Texas. None of the models are developing 91L into more than a 50 knot tropical storm but it will be an interesting few days. The GFDL tends to be a good model for storms close to shore so we'll see if still initializes north in the morning or switches to the west like the rest of the models.

It looked like some storms from Mississippi were trying to creep across the border toward Tuscaloosa but they are all collapsing now. Just cloudy and still 83 degrees with 78% humidity. The Biscuits won 10-1 over West Tennessee, which brings our win streak to 10 and we're just 2 games out of first. I'm glad they won because it would have been a really miserable game to sit through if they had lost. Not a breeze the whole night and 93 degrees at game time. :eek:

Hi Jim,
Yes, hand laying the rail and especially building your own switches really allows for maxium flexibilty and use of the area available when trying to fit things in. It is a lot slower going but I really like the results! Of course what is shown in the photos is just old sections of track to get a better idea of spacing. Two of the longer track sections are actually the Old Atlas Fiber tie track from the '50's, I hang on to everything!

Ray Thats like a giant fish pond liner, they do it here and weld the seams up as they lay it all down. The liner is sat on three feet of clay then another two feet is laid on top of this and that will last a VERY long time, same here,, gas is extracted for fuel.

Off to Spaceport with the kids for the day now, then onto the River Mersey historical cruise and also the U boat display... will be great.

Good morning.

It 71 this morning and thunderstorms abound. The high today will be in the upper 90's and mostly cloudy.

We had a structure fire call from 911 at about four this morning, just about thirty minutes after the lights had gone out from a storm passing through. So I went to the station and with the help of another fire fighter got the generator set up to raise the bay doors. Once they were up the trucks were out and away to Shady Lake RV Park, the source of the fire call. It was a rather nice RV and was well ablaze inside with the fire just breaking through the roof. The fire was put out by unit of the New Llano, Leesville and Sundown fire depts. The RV was unoccupied at the tuime of the fire. The cause of the fire is under investigation at this time.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/3/2008

Wind Chill: 70°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
High: 83°F
Low: 70°F
Rain: 1.04"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 30mph E

Today High: 100 Cloudy with showers and thunderstorms early in the morning...then partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs around 100. West winds around 5 mph early in the morning becoming northeast in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 75 Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

Morning all!

Got woken up this morning by the emergency line of my work (it's connected to my cell phone). MAN, I HATE THAT THING! Everyone at my work is convinced that it never goes off, but the reason they think that is because I always handle it so they don't have to. It goes off at the worst times too. It lit up this morning at 6:45am. On my only morning to sleep in. Now don't get me wrong, I feel for the people on the other end of the line who are having a problem. Today I have a nursing home out of service, so it's a priority. It's just me being selfish I guess, and wanting to be asleep right now instead of working on Sunday morning. /rant

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. At least I didn't have to get up with Jeff!

ANYWAYS........

I teach later today, so I'm excited about that. Guess I can use this time to study up, huh? I've got my crews working on the phone problems.

Yeah, thats a good idea. Think I'll get on that.

Later!

SP4-8-4Nscale.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back