Coffee Shop Part VIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

pcarrell

Just a guy
Well, we got about an inch of snow last night. Looks like we might get a touch more throughout the day. Then there's snow in the forecast almost every day for the next 5 days.

Morning everyone!

Got a big day today! Gotta see if my pretty little wife can put big bad Uncle Sam in his place. Seems like a no brainer, but then we're dealing with the government here, so who knows.

I thought it was interesting that today was selected for all of this (not by us at all, but by the court system). Let me let you in on some inside information as to why I think it's an interesting date. You see, January 17th was the day I was saved. It's the day I accepted "the awesome guy who died on a Roman cross that we aren't supposed to talk about" into my life. Now I don't have any idea if it means anything or not that this day thats special to me was selected as court day, but it's interesting.

Anyways, thank you to everyone who's been praying for us. We appeciate it greatly. I hope and pray all goes our ay today. I've cleared my calender for the day so we can really devote our time to this.

I've got to run for now, but I'll try and stop by later with news.

Bye!

Steve B

Firefighter
Government,,, Bahhh, they drive you to dispair at times with there one sided views and ideals,, enough said

Excerpts from a Cat's Diary This should put a smile on your faces

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I
nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now...........

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/17/2008

Wind Chill: 50°F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 46°F

So Far Today
High: 50°F
Low: 46°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph NNE

Rest Of Today High: 55 Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 50s. Northwest winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 38 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Light and variable winds.

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Hey I'm back from the SS Office. Had a nice chat with a couple of my old students who work down there. Everything went smoothly and the first check should be deposited by the end of the month....... Now I just have to figure out at what point it will be in my best interest to apply for my own benefits. I ended up getting just about what I thought I would receive so hopefully all will be well on this front.

Philip, I hope everything works out well for you and your wife! His will be done!

Steve that diary is one of my favorite "documents" that I have saved on my computer. I have to say that not only do my cats no longer try to get outside, but Manet (the 18 pounder) once saved the life of my 21 year cat a couple of years ago when she got outside. I was bringing my gear into the house when the old girl just walked out the door without me noticing. Manet was sitting right there and started to meow loudly and look out onto the porch. Sure enough Sheila was exploring the steps by that time. I put down my gear and went after her. Caught up to her halfway down the driveway. She was very indignant to be picked up and brought back inside. She wouldn't have lasted long in the outdoors.

tompm

Mornin' everyone,

Tom you don't need to pray for my wife...... She died 20 years ago.

I need to stop typing before the coffee kicks in. I thought I typed Philip. Sorry about that.

Of course the last few days have been like this. Bad meeting after bad meeting seems to be on the menu. I have been chewed up and spat out more times than I care to think about. Lately I feel like Frankenstein's monster with the villagers with pitchforks and torches waiting around every meeting table.

Last edited by a moderator:

pcarrell

Just a guy
I need to stop typing before the coffee kicks in. I thought I typed Philip. Sorry about that.

No worries,......God knew what you meant!

Well, we're back from court. It looks like we won, but the judge still has to make the final ruling. They say that could take a month (!) or two (!!). I'm not sure why that is, because even the doctors that they brought up against us said that my wife, and I quote, "meets the criteria for disability". Seems pretty open and shut to me? Then we were told that it could take another year or so before we see the first check! Wish we could charge them interest on that money of ours that they're hanging on to. Bet we'd get it a lot faster then. Oh, and I was wrong about when this all started. They recorded the start date in April 2003. It's almost April 2008 now. Oh well, it's all good. The lawyer says it looks real good for us and he doesn't see how we could loose, so thats good. Now, we just wait.......some more..........

Evening Gang:
Just a quick one to give a baby Lara report. The weight I gave you all yesterday was dated. We went in and saw her today and she is now 4lbs 2 3/4 ozs. She looked at us and I swear that she wanted to tell us to leave her alone so she could sleep. She is sure a corker.
My 2 Proto 1000 FM Erie Built came today. They both ran very well so I'm really happy. The Milw Rd one looked really good with my 2 Hiawatha cars. Now I have to get some C&NW pass cars for the 2 C&NW locos.
Well time for bed.
Good Night All

OldGettysk

Running the MC & Buffalo
Evening All ! been a hectic day . Was at the bowling alley where my wife works to help out with a funeral brunch. The wife of the mamger died at 71 of cancer and they held it there. She also co-managed the allies for 25 years along with her husband so it was only fitting to hold it there. Phillip glad that things are looking up. When I applied for SS back in 88 it wasn't as bad as today. It's shameful what Rex says a three year wait for a hearing. If the President went to congress and they told him he had to wait three years for the money for this dumb war do you think he would wait ? Sorry don't want to go off on a rampage. Anyhow looks like we might be getting some money to jump start the econmy . Can't wait for my little tincup to rattle with another handout . On a ligther note Sandy looks like the rest of us will share the cold along with you. It's suppose to hit here Sunday . Well gonna get going and get ready for my Am Dentist meeting. take care all !Paul glad to hear about the granddaughter .

Last edited by a moderator:

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Good late evening/early morning, everyone.

It's been another one of those days. Had to drain the fish tank, get rid of all the plants, refill it, test the water, and then hope it settles down to the right PH again. It went way low for some reason and that's apparently what caused all the fish to die. There are some hobbies that cost almost as much as model railroading. :)

Ray, things should go smooth for you with the widow's pension. I'll be waiting for my cut of your first check. :D I refiled on mine so I hope to hear from them in the next month and get my money too. Had to get another copy of my marriage license from Cleveland before I could complete the paperwork. SS apparently thinks you keep things from 1966 lying around at your fingertips after about five different moves.

Phillip, it sure sounds hopeful for you too. You can never tell about appeals until the administrative law judge issues his ruling but lawyers are pretty good at reading these guys so I'll keep praying that it works out.

Texas Paul, baby Lara must be eating like a cow! That's a really good sign that she's gaining weight so fast. I never was a big fan of Erie-Builts but they did look good in the Hiawatha scheme.

Tom, I know how you feel. We had many a meeting with ratepayers when I was a consultant for a public utility when I was sure someone in the crowd had a rope with a noose. Between my day job and then being a reserve deputy, there were a lot of days I never heard a kind word from anyone but my wife, :(

Steve, I'm pretty sure our cat wrote that diary. There are times I can actually hear him plotting against me.:eek:

Sandy, that's one of the reasons I really hated visited my son in Boulder in the winter. It could be anything for -15 to 60, sometimes all in one day. That's not even counting the windstorms that blew the roof off his house.

I did go down and run a train today and nothing blew up or caught on fire so I count myself lucky after the way this week has been going. I did a little more turnout filing and track joint cleanup and a train of Bethgon hoppers actually made it all the way through the passing siding without derailing so I quit while I was ahead. I'll sneak up on it again tomorrow and see if the layout is still cooperating.

It was a day of cold rain yesterday with a high of just 39. We missed getting snow by about 100 miles. We have another shot at snow Friday night and Saturday morning. I think we'll be on the warm side of this low also and just miss any snow or ice by a hair. It's sure hard to believe it'll be back up in the 90's in another month or so.

Bill Tidler Jr.

Retired NS Signal Construction Gang Signalman
01-18-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png

L&N Castle

Morning. Just wanted to pop in and say hello,before running off to work. Looks like we here in Bama,are about to have a white winter. Seems there is talk of '1to4 inches of SNOW:eek:,forcast for us starting tonight,and through tomorrow. Yuck. Oh,well,good to see to everyone is doing okay,Rex,good luck on giving up your smokes,I know that's been tough.Hang in there,my friend.Well,sorry,but gotta go,Y'all have a good day,and a pleasent week-end.William.

tompm

Good morning folks

It was 34 F as I rolled out of the driveway. Luckily I did not encounter any icing. Just to the west of where I live they were having a lot of trouble with icing on bridges this morning. The high today is supposed to be 45 F. Then the bottom falls out and by Sunday we will be in the deep freeze with highs in the mid twenties and the lows may drop into the single digits.

No modeling last night. I did put away some cars that have been sitting on the layout and straighten a few things up on the layout. We spent some of the evening getting the lights off the Christmas and the tree out to the curb. We now have to go get a couple more storage bins because we somehow collected more decorations then we have bins.

Not much planned this weekend. The wife has to work a few hours on Saturday.

I would like to work on the weathering trailers for TOFC that the decks are weathered. I also have a couple more flat cars that need their decks weathered. I also have several RTR TOFCs to weather and a couple of other flat cars also.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Morning guys!!

My 2 Proto 1000 FM Erie Built came today. They both ran very well so I'm really happy. The Milw Rd one looked really good with my 2 Hiawatha cars. Now I have to get some C&NW pass cars for the 2 C&NW locos.
Well time for bed.
Good Night All

Here's a quick tip from experience with my 2 UP Eries. I had a lot of trouble with electrical contact between the wheel tips and the side frames - very intermittent. Tried everything and then the final solution was conductive grease in the contact points in the side frames - fixed it right up.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Mark

pcarrell

Just a guy
Morning all!

Another beautiful, if not chilly, morning in central Indiana! It's a brisk 18 degrees out there right now, but it just didn't feel that cold when I came in. Maybe I'm getting used to it? (That would be a bad thing!)

Not much going on today. I'm doing the work thing and I'm planning on lunch with a dear old friend. I haven't seen Dusty in a while, so I'm looking forward to that!

Well, gotta make like I work here!

Later!

Sandy

Good Morning All! A lovely morning here in Colorado. It was 19 when I left home...much better than the -5 yesterday morning. Some snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. I guess we need that moisture.
Jim, Boulder is really a beautiful little town. Right at the base of the Flatirons, but it DOES get some wind! They say that if you don't like the weather in Colorado, just wait 15 minutes and it will change. I remember a few years ago, when I left work it was overcast but dry. By the time I reached I-25 (5 minutes) it was raining. 10 minutes later I was in a blizzard, followed by hail. When I arrived home (a total of 25 minutes) it was sunny and pleasant. :cool: Go figure!
It sounds as if everyone has had an eventful week. Babies are thriving, trains are taking shape and the government has not bested anyone!
I hope it continues through the weekend. Have a great one!!

Sandy ;)

OldGettysk

Running the MC & Buffalo
Good Morning All ! From wind swept Buffalo , Looks like the wild weather from the Arctic Blast finally hit us today . 50 MPH winds and a lot colder. Coldest weather of the winter. It's good to see so many peolpe in the coffee shop. I'll have a cup of decaf and it's off to the Dentist . Hope everyone has a real nice day !!!

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Mornin' everyone!

Just popin' in to say hi. My son and I (and my granddaughter) are going out for a late breakfast to Water Street Cafe in a few minutes, sorry Flo........ After that I have to Tri-oritize how to get everything done today that has to get done. (Triority - the 3 things you have to do first.) Tomorrow is the final judging on the Martin Luther King Art and Poetry Contest here in Geneva and I will get the honor of printing up the awards and several other things for the winners. I also have to get the kiosks moved over to the church tomorrow morning from my storage shed (my Church is the location host this year for the service and dinner) and readjust a microphone for use with a the MLK Choir. It is digital and with gospel music soloists, I know it will cut out when they use it so I will get it adjusted for close up and loud use. It is set for speaking right now.

See you all later.

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/18/2008

Wind Chill: 33°F
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 29°F

So Far Today
High: 41°F
Low: 37°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 10mph E

Today High: 52 Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of rain in the morning... Then chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 50s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Tonight Low: 35 Rain in the evening...then chance of rain after midnight. Lows in the mid 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.