Coffee shop part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, too bad about a coach teaching such poor sportsmanship to a team of young girls. Learning how to play and play fair used to be one of the reasons to get kids in sports. Now it's all about winning. :(

The really sad part is these two idiots couldn’t win a game even if the other team failed to show up. The one coach has been managing softball for close to six years and has never had a season over .300 and has never won a playoff game. Also he has the longest list of players who are not allowed to play for him.

I am so annoyed at this I am looking at signing my daughter up with a team from another town.

Josh, that dock is so long because, if an ammo ship explodes, she'll be far enough away not to cause major damage on land. The folks in that area are understandably nervous after the gigantic Black Tom explosion in Jersey City in 1916.
Mhmm, very impressive none the less. Rail the full length too.

02-06-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png

Good morning folks

It was 51 F as I rolled out of the driveway. The high today will be 67 F but we won’t be able to frolic in it since it will be raining. As I look out of the office window it is darker now at 7:45 AM then when I left the house at 6:30 AM.

I finished weathering the wheels for the remaining TOFCs and flat cars. Next is weathering the trucks and then the bodies.

We have Cub Scout Den Meetings tonight. If my wife isn’t better I will be sitting in for her with her den.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good Morning ! Bill , Phillip & Tom , Another winter's day here along the Niagara frontier , Rain , snow sleet & freezing rain , take your pick . My prayers go out to all the people down South who have been tragically ripped apart bt all the tornadoes.May God be with them at this time . It's Ash Wednesday today for us Roman Catholics , a time of reflection and abstinance in preperation for our Lord's sacrifice. Hope that all will have a peaceful day !!!!

Winter golf

Good morning everyone.
I stopped by to see my best friend yesterday and told him I was willing to play golf any day as long it was 40 degress and above. He retired from the railroad last June. A lot of people around here work for the railroad. It's always been that way. My brother's next he goes in 2 years and then we'll almost have a foursome.

NYC_George

Mornin' everyone!

Paul, stop sending me all that yucky weather from the Buffalo are will ya!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

May all of you who celebrate it have a blessed Ash Wednesday. My Church (Presbyterian) will have a meatless, simple dinner tonight and a short service with a renewal of Baptismal Vows. Then I have Deacons meeting after that.

I have to get to work and get some things done. The pile of work is growing faster than I can get things done................

Morning, everyone.

Up early today keeping an eye on the storm system. Luckily for us, all the major activity occured north and west of us. Last count I read was 47 killed, mostly in Arkansas, so this was a pretty serious tornado outbreak. The front is east of us now and weakening so I hope that the tornado outbreak is over. My prayers and thoughts to all of those who were in the destructive path of these storms.

George, you sound like my dad when he was still alive. He'd play golf any day there wasn't snow on the course and the wind wasn't blowing the ball off the tee. :)

Morning, Bill, Tom, Phillip, and Paul. Sounds like a typical winter day in upstate New York and one of those days in PA where you don't know what kind of weather is coming next. I hope you all have a good day.

Good morning folks. Man, am I happy I don't live in southern Wisconsin. They are looking at getting twenty inches of snow! NO thank you! For that matter, I'm glad I don't live in the path of those nasty tornados either. My prayers go out to the people impacted by this.

Have you guys ever noticed how involved in the community model railroaders are? You guys make me feel like a bum! To give myself a little credit, I was a Rotarian for a few years. I had to quit because I couldn't afford it. The club I belonged to costs about a thousand dollars a year! Anyway, good for you folks that give back to your communities. My hats off to you.

I'm trying to plan my next layout without knowing the space I'll have to build it in. That is a bit of an exercise in futility. I am, however, learning to use the various planning software. They are a little tricky to figure out at first.

I hope everyone has a good and safe day!

Josh, that dock is so long because, if an ammo ship explodes, she'll be far enough away not to cause major damage on land. The folks in that area are understandably nervous after the gigantic Black Tom explosion in Jersey City in 1916.
Big explosions at dockside can be very destructive. Just look at what happened to Texas City, Texas in 1947. The city was virtually blown off the map when a ship full of fertilizer exploded.

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/6/2008

Wind Chill: 36°F
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 33°F

So Far Today
High: 56°F
Low: 44°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 25mph WNW

Today High: 55 Mostly sunny. Cooler. Highs in the mid 50s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 32 Partly cloudy. Colder. Lows in the lower 30s. Light and variable winds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning coffee clubbers,

Been enjoying long walks in these above-normal temps here in the mid-'lantic, but we'll be paying for it this afternoon with high winds and T-storms. Hopefully nothing catastrophic like those poor folks in the South and lower Midwest had to endure :eek:

Steve it's really sad about that ferry, looks like she's totally on the beach at lo tide. Hope the owners had insurance on her, looks like a total loss!

Got our electricity bill yesterday, up to $506 now. Really clobbers our budget, we can't go on like this. Changing all our light bulbs to squiggly flourescents didn't do a lick of good, some type of "black hole" is still devouring all our energy. I'm hoping maybe buying a new clothes dryer will help, this old Whirlpool unit barely dries anything - each load has to be in there up to 90min., and we do 2-3 loads every day.

Afternoon all,
Very sorry to hear about the tornado's in the south, even sadder to hear the about the great loss of life down there

KenHang in there Ken, LOL it get's to you don't it

Jim
from the BBC
tide in
keith_470_470x352.jpg

tide out
riverdance8_470_470x352.jpg

richard_470_470x352.jpg

check this one out :) the lumps on the sand to the right are whats left showing of a 48ft semi trailer
tricia_352_352x470.jpg

no wonder they didn't launch the life boats, would you with the boat at 60 degrees angle 12 miles off shore, yes she was battered 12 miles at this angle with the crew and 4 passengers on top of the bridge on the port side were the helicopter picked them up. i find it astounding she didn't go down in deep water, amazing when you think, she must be very water tight

Thanks for those pictures, Steve. To my untrained eye, the hull damage doesn't look as bad as I thought. The main problem is that her keel is stuck in the sand, which looks pretty deep if we use that truck for scale. Assuming she washed ashore in this condition because her loads broke loose, not because of taking on water from a hull rupture, it might be possible to right her and refloat her. It would take crane lighters at high tide removing all that loose deck cargo, a tricky operation to begin with. If they can lighten up the ship's load, and the inflatable salvage balls can get enough purchase in the sand to lift the hull, then she's got a chance. Otherwise, she will have to be dismantled from the deck until all the superstructure is removed and all the load is gone and then they should be able to get the hulk refloated. Whatever course they take, it's going to be long and expensive.

I am not sure I would want to be walking under the keel area (blly of the ship) cause if that thing ever shifted...yikes!

the trouble is the lower deck is stuffed with heavy trailers and cargo, all now on the starboard side, they will be very difficult to move,

Hey Steve. My friend,after looking at the photos of the ship,I can only imagine,what it will cost to refloat that ship,if that is at all possible.:eek:. If whoever gets the job of salvaging that shipwreck,just getting all the cargo off,will be an awful lot of work. I think Jeffery's right,they might as well just scrap it where it lays,and go from there. Sad sight indeed. I guess the only good that came out of it,was no loss of life,I hope.William.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back