Search results

1. troyphoto

Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Rabbit Rabbit Mel's going to switch this place to fine dining, so no cussin' or spittin'
  2. troyphoto

Realistic vs Believable

Found the Thunder Mesa Studio channel on U-tubez, and he asks a good question. Realistic or Believable... which is better (for you). Which one do you prefer for your layout?
  3. troyphoto

Running Bear's September 2023 Coffee Shop

Rabbit Rabbit: The paint is fresh, the cook isn't. Be nice to the servers.
  4. troyphoto

N Scale Couplers and truck brands???

At the risk of starting a "Chevy vs Ford" argument :eek: :cool: what is the go-to brand of couplers and trucks for N-Scalers? I've already got three Kato locos, and about a dozen cars. Most of the rolling stock is Scale Trains, with some Atlas and other brands. I figure I'd better start...
  5. troyphoto

Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Rabbit Rabbit The new place
  6. troyphoto

California Rail Civil War Era?

My Google Fu is failing me. For an upcoming mystery story, I'm trying to plot out how something would get from the Civil War Southern states (probably Texas) into California. But, without the transcontinental, I can't locate any lines coming into So-Cal in the early 1860s Anyone have...
  7. troyphoto

What is too shiny?

I've noticed that the standards for weathering buildings and rolling stock/locos is a lot like what the wargaming hobby endures: highly varied with no real consensus. Most gamers go for some weathering at least. Some for mud and muck and detritus and rust etc. Some not so much A gamer friend...
  8. troyphoto

Cardstock Buildings: Front and Center?

I've recently discovered Metcalfe buildings out of the UK. Looking online only so far (Covid, so no trains shows to attend yet). The British look of the architecture is something I'm definitely after for one front and center areas of my N Scale layout. Normally, with a plastic kit, I'd be...
  9. troyphoto

Troy's Still Untitled GN Cascade N-Scale line

Greetings and Salutations all. I've been dropping my photos and updates into the Coffee Shop threads. I figure it's time to devote a thread, and just have a good time with my layout build in a semi-forgettable, not at all famous way. As I write this, we are in September of 2020. We've been on...
  10. troyphoto

Foam Pencils?

No, not pencils made of foam... Woodland Scenics makes a "grease" pencil for marking on foam. These look to be a waxy or grease substance, similar to the peel-off twist paper wrapped grease pencils. But those have fat tips. Woodland scenic stuck that greasy gunk in a wooden pencil Tried them...
  11. troyphoto

Compass anchored off table?

I wanted to draw a big sweeping turn radius on a narrow section of the benchwork. That made the anchor point for the "yardstick compass" about an inch OFF the benchwork. I'm also a retired photographer, so I've got light stands, and backdrop stands. Had to secure a thinner screw to the fat one...
  12. troyphoto

Great Northern and Great Lakes???

Greetings - and questions: I'm searching for historical references/inspirations. My layout will be Great Northern - FREELANCE - based in the transition era. But I'd like to find some actual areas for inspiration, and my Google-Fu isn't leading to much that's helpful. I'm looking for areas in...
  13. troyphoto

I almost started 20 years ago

Greetings from almost the north-east corner of Indiana. When my daughter was three, I taught her to enjoy watching trains we were stopped by in the greater Indianapolis area. So I started looking into building an n-scale layout in our extra bedroom to share the hobby with her. She wouldn't be...

Back