I almost started 20 years ago

troyphoto

Snarky Old Fart (in training)
Greetings from almost the north-east corner of Indiana.

When my daughter was three, I taught her to enjoy watching trains we were stopped by in the greater Indianapolis area. So I started looking into building an n-scale layout in our extra bedroom to share the hobby with her. She wouldn't be much help at three, but we could railfan together. I was able to get benchwork begun and started laying homasote on the plywood.

Then we moved, and the layout got dismantled. I finally scrapped the wood two moves later.

After a few decades of immersing myself in tabletop wargaming (I'm the editor of the blog nodicenoglory.com), we ended up purchasing our retirement condo. The daughter is in her mid-twenties and has her own place (without a model railroad, but lots of cats).

And our condo has a basement.

With Covid taking me out of the gaming stores for the foreseeable future, I decided that those years of painting models, making terrain for the gaming tables, the call of a solo-hobby took over. After negotiating trackage rights with the administrator of the home, I began building benchwork, bought my first locomotive, and a couple of boxcars.

I'm now at the "putting plywood down, and drawing the "regular guy" (a la Steve Brown) track plan - thereby changing everything about it as it moves from a series of sketches to the benchwork.

i-Pfz4JxN-L.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums! Looks like you're off to a great start! Keep us informed on your progress and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. There's some really great folks here that are very willing to help. And check out Running Bear's Coffee Shop. It's THE place to shoot the breeze about trains, trucks, cars, tractors, airplanes, life in general, etc, etc! It's a friendly place to just hang out and get to know the regulars. And just because you're new doesn't mean a thing. I guarantee you'll be treated right!

Greetings!

Like twforeman, I'm also a GN transition era modeler....(so I think).

While your still constructing, how wide and tall is your bench work? Mine is 42" tall and I have a side that is slightly over 3 ft wide. I need a step ladder to be able to reach across it. But the height is otherwise perfect for me. What scale?

Welcome! Looks as if you benchwork will make a nice size pike with "N" scale?
Looking forward to viewing a track plan.

Greetings!

Like twforeman, I'm also a GN transition era modeler....(so I think).

While your still constructing, how wide and tall is your benchwork? Mine is 42" tall and I have a side that is slightly over 3 ft wide. I need a step ladder to be able to reach across it. But the height is otherwise perfect for me. What scale?
N-scale.

Benchwork is 42 high without the plywood. I've got one corner where two 3 ft sections mate up. I'm planing a mountain area in that corner, so no problems that a small stool won't fix.

the other back corner is a problem. I had to mate 24" with 20" to be able to reach the breaker panel for the condo. That section is also designed to have a splitable section, should I need to do major work on the breaker panel. One bolt and two screws will allow the right-hand wing to slide out, with the left and back staying in position.

Sorry I overlooked the scale in your first post. Looks like you'll have lots of room for N-scale. I have my grandson's N-scale layout in the basement by my HO, but I prefer HO as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Back