Running Bear's September 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold here this morning. I under dressed for golf yesterday. A cold wind kept blowing for the entire round.
Winter's not far off.
Swal

carmel_weather_01.JPG

I managed to find the new place.
Flo has the coffee perking, but Mel is still asleep in the back.

I'm trying to fill out the NMRA Contest paperwork to have my model judged toward earning a certificate. So far, I have spent about 6 hours working on it. One category is conformity of the model to a prototype building. After searching my computer records, I googled "two story brick buildings". Interestingly enough, about 10% of the pictures were of model railroad buildings. I finally settled on a picture of three similar buildings that have about 80% of my building's major details.
Like many members here, I am enjoying the cooler weather, enough to cut the grass in the 70's this morning before a forecast high of 86 today.

Good Morning All. Clear and 74°, maybe hitting 98° after the afternoon high of just 95° yesterday. Not sure, well positive that the NWS has no clue as a lot has changed in the upcoming week's forecast, although triple-digits and no rain is pretty well assured. One bright spot in this summer is the almost total lack of grasshoppers this year. It has nothing to do with the heat, as they thrive in hot, dry conditions. It's mostly due to timely rains during May that drowned most of the nymphs. Grasshopper nymphs have no wings so even the slightest flooding will drown them. As they grow older, the lawnmower chops up some in the yard but not out in the fields. The worst years that I have had, had as many as 30/sq yard; this year there is maybe 1/400 sq ft.

Made it through the dental hygienist ordeal yesterday and got the new car battery. Today is the delayed weekly grocery trek. I don't know yet about any in-store sales on big hunks of red meat, but their circular only lists whole untrimmed briskets, half of which is discarded. Strange that none of my dogs or granddogs would ever eat the trimmed brisket fat slab, however I can leave it out by the barn for the squatter vultures to consume. Yep! That pair is still there, still with junior, who has finally learned to fly.

Tom O, Swal, et al - Y'all's weather freaks me out, in the 40's overnight when I am still facing 100°+ during the next week.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did some more detailing, but somehow the pictures got lost during the transfer this morning. Not all, just the layout ones.
I normally post something from the archives when I have no other pictures, but I'm leaving early for the grocery trek to avoid the Friday rush.

Sherrel - Most wineries in Texas use stainless steel fermentation vats. I have seen wooden ones, but they are like 10' in diameter and 15' long.
Troy - Thanks for finding and opening the new place.. Sometimes the cook is fresh, or is that just considered creepy now?

That's it for now. Everybody have a great day and an awesome holiday weekend

Good morning. Another late start for me! Getting out of bed after 8AM is usually a once every couple months thing. This week this is the third time and I have no clue as to why.

Over night the temperature hit 48 and is currently at 58 heading to 81. I have some more outside garden work to do. I have removed the plant material from 6 beds of veggies and turned the soil over. The son in law turned the compost piles around noon yesterday and the ready for Spring pile looks good. We have a 2/3rds empty compost pile that has been being used in the greenhouses. The girls say the pile will make it till Spring. I have no clue, I put the stuff in the piles and the SIL turns it with the front end loader. He has been showing his 9 year old son how to operate the tractor. The grandson has a few friends who live on farms and were bugging him that he couldn’t operate a tractor. He is learning under his dad’s watchful eye.

The 4 of us are going riding this afternoon. The 2 grandkids some how talked their dad and me last night into this. This is the last day of no school, they start back on Tuesday. We will stop at the SIL’s vineyard for a picnic lunch. After 6 years of work he thinks this year will turn a profit. He’s enjoying it and he gets occasional help from the 2 grandkids with trimming of the vines. There will be another planting coming up in a few weeks. He has more poles planted and some of the wire strung. The plants are next. Thankfully he has planted near the old water filled quarry on the property. He has been pumping his water out of there. The quarry is of course fully marked and fenced but we still get the occasional swimming party who trespass. When they have been asked to leave so far there have been no issues. Very different than the poachers we get. But we have changed our approach to them. Get a picture with a drone and call the DNR and they have been coming out for the last 2.

Some trains today after I have supper.

Tomorrow and Sunday is the Taste of Madison. A great foodie event where vendors set up around the streets of the Capital building. Because of the 90f degree + temperatures predicted during the 2-8 opening we are missing it this year. We instead will head for Chocolate Shoppe ice cream on Saturday. Sunday evening might be Cold Stone overpriced Creamery but it will be fun.

enjoy the day

I FOUND IT! The new Coffee Shop with the windows open already as if cooler temperatures are the menu for this morning. 66 degrees and heading for 85 today; with the decreasing temps we ae looking for high 70's low 80's for Labor Day.
But not to worry - summer is not over around here. It usually sticks around into October!

I'm feeling better this morning. I did have a good night in the sleep department. I think that a good dose of Nighttime Cold and Flu seemed to work pretty well. This stuff seems to cover a multitude of ailments!

Attachments

• 1693578225724.png
    1693578225724.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 60
Tom O, Swal, et al - Y'all's weather freaks me out, in the 40's overnight when I am still facing 100°+ during the next week.
What a mistake I made not putting a light coat in my bag yesterday. I couldn't wait to get the round over and get in my car. We played the Links at Union Vale a course modeled after courses in Great Britan. It had a cold wind bowling to make sure we got the full effect of playing over the pond.
Swal

Afternoon All,

Been a fairly busy day. I started out with some chores, then I worked for about an hour on the fencing project. I think I'm about 2/3 complete. Today I fenced the opposite side of the track and built the track crossing for the cows. The last 1/3 is straight fencing. Saturday and Sunday we're helping daughter and SIL put tile flooring in the last bedroom that had carpet (think kid's size room). I told them I would cut tile, mix stuff, and carry tile but I wouldn't be down on my knees. Anyhoo, I won't be in this weekend unless it changes.

David- Pretty countryside.

Sherrel- Pretty valley. Just a FYI, there's a chance my rash was from the acetaminophen that is in the Walmart generic cold and flu medicine. That's what I was taking for 3 days before it started.

Karl- We just booked an Alaska cruise for April 2025 out of Seattle.

Willie- Very nice scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Just a FYI, there's a chance my rash was from the acetaminophen that is in the Walmart generic cold and flu medicine. That's what I was taking for 3 days before it started.
Thanks much for that, KURT! I have been keeping a bottle in the cabinet for 10-12 years - usually use 1/2 to 3/4 bottle each year with the "sniffles" and used sparingly. To date, I have not had any type of adverse effects.
Even with that said, i will keep what you said in mind - THANKS.

Evening all,

Got to 98° today and 100°+ for the first of next week.

Daughter's procedure went fine so coming home the wife and I stopped at pizza ranch. Never been, but the fried chicken was good.

Flo: Let me get a large peppermint malt. Thanks.

Since we had to be out early this morning, truck was due for service on the transmission and an oil change today, we left the truck at the dealership early yesterday afternoon. At 5:00 they called and said it was done. So it was. Day before it was even supposed to be worked on. Turns out they lost the internet for most of the morning and had to reschedule most of their appointments, so I benefited from the staff having a light afternoon. Surprisingly, I find for some services, they are cheaper. For others, they are more expensive.
They recommended a new serpentine belt at over $200, belt and labor. I did the belt twice on the old truck and the belt is under $50 and takes less than 10 minutes. So that's something I'll deal with.

Hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening. It's 78 and cloudy. The place I work went paperless as of 9:00 AM today. At 9:05 AM today, our internet crashed, and nobody could do anything, because, you know, "paperless". So, we stood around all day not getting paid, because everybody only gets paid by hours turned in.

On another note, I've noticed a rash of new members that join our forum, and their first and only post is "I just got a train at a yard sale. How much is it worth, and how fast can I sell it?" And they never come back...

On another note, I've noticed a rash of new members that join our forum, and their first and only post is "I just got a train at a yard sale. How much is it worth, and how fast can I sell it?" And they never come back...
It seems to happen quite often, not just lately. Many never even check back to see responses. Then the forum software counts them and many others who join and never post as active members, which is misleading at best. A good example is "Today's Birthdays". A fellow joined on Feb 27 this year and never posted and never returned. Annoying.

Good evening. Our low this morning was 50° at the Rutgers station, and 54° on the front porch. 75° was this afternoon's high and it's back down to 53° right now. needed a sweat shirt this morning for our walk.

After the walk, we stopped and picked up a prescription, then went for groceries. Home by 1130, lunch and paid bills.

I still have the passenger train on the layout, but I switched to a sound equipped E8 for power. (GG1 needs some adjustment on the pony trucks). Ran fine, pulling and shoving. 1 E and 6 cars measures out to 7'. So passenger staging needs to have that much capacity at minimum. Since the train will probably run with two diesels, I should allow for that.

I learned that Mike Del Vecchio, Former Associate Editor of Railroad & Railfan Magazine, and a Trainmaster for the Morristown and Erie RR at the Bayway Phillips 66 Refinery , passed away from complications of cancer on 8/31/23. His brother worked at Upper Bay Tower in Newark. I also learned that John Green, owner of Bethlehem Car Works, which manufactured craftsman level passenger car kits passed away on 8/31/23 from an undisclosed ailment. He was 84. Both will be missed. RIP.

Mets win one 2-1 over Seattle, Gotham 6 - Houston 2, Milwaukee 7 - Phillies 5, Arizona over Baltimore 4 - 1, 6th Inning. Lots of College Football today, more Saturday.

It seems to happen quite often, not just lately. Many never even check back to see responses. Then the forum software counts them and many others who join and never post as active members, which is misleading at best. A good example is "Today's Birthdays". A fellow joined on Feb 27 this year and never posted and never returned. Annoying.
Some of us don't have anything intelligent to say most of the time.
Guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back