Search results

1. Railroad Joe

Jerome's Switcher Roster

Jerome, IHC, a few years ago, remade this locomotive with a can motor and all 8 wheel drive. I just checked eBay, there is 1 on there for $44.99 I typed in their search engine c-415. It is in an Erie-Lackawanna scheme. Now, in real life, there were only 26 of these units built. The Rock...
  2. Railroad Joe

What do you do for a living?

I work in a chemical manufacturing plant, 23 years. My department is the heartbeat of the plant, the boiler house. Without us, the plant cannot function. Nothing personal toward the educated persons that have answered here, but our diploma bearing employees have no common sense. Last year, when...
  3. Railroad Joe

how did you pick a rail line

I chose the Rock Island because that was the railroad that went through my hometown of Rockdale, IL. while I was growing up. As to why I've added the EJ&E/Iowa interstate/CSX New Rock Subdivision is this, when the Rock Island shutdown on March 31st, 1980, the EJ&E took over operations from...
  4. Railroad Joe

Show us your special rides

Well, here is my nothing special ride, it's a 1998 Ford Expedition with 214.000 miles. It gets me from point A to point b and back......and even hauls trains too!!
  5. Railroad Joe

Weekly Photo Fun 11-13/11-19

Yep, it was me that posted that link. On their website, they have links for not only equipment for sale, but links to railroads across the USA. Up at Train Mountain in Oregon, they show 4 - 1.5" scale C44-9W's mu'ed together. By the way, I forgot to mention that my switcher weighs between 350 to...
  6. Railroad Joe

Weekly Photo Fun 11-13/11-19

Greetings everyone, outstanding work done by all!! As for the "Live Diesel" locomotive, it appears to be 1.5" scale or 7.5" gauge. Also, it appears to be a "1 timer" In other words, this may be the only 1.5" scale Alco/MLW M420W locomotive on the face of the earth. At a guess, it may have cost...
  7. Railroad Joe

WPF for 16 - 23 October

Chris, I was able to purchase the locomotive, ride on car & a gondola with some track & other pieces from the son of the original owner, who is now deceased. If you want to know more, start by checking out www.discoverlivesteam.com That will get your blood pumping!! Regards,
  8. Railroad Joe

WPF for 16 - 23 October

Haven't been here since early September. But, an update!! Here is a picture of my wife & myself after we both qualified for engineer status on the Illinois Live Steamers railroad, 10-18-2009. Our first trip together.
  9. Railroad Joe

Weekly Photo Fun 8-28/9-03

I haven't posted for a while either, but since it is my birthday, I'd thought I'd post a picture of the me with my birthday present my wife gave to me. It's a little bigger and somewhat heavier than my other trains......
  10. Railroad Joe

109 years ago, there was this accident....

Hello all, In a few hours, it will be the 109th anniversary of Jonathan Luther "Casey" Jones death. So I lift my bottle of Diet Pepsi and salute our country's most famous railroad engineer. Vaughn, MS. 6.6 miles from destiny, 03:52 am CST. April 30th, 1900. Regards,
  11. Railroad Joe

What's this diesel?

Hello all, Jim, a slight correction on your post, the high cab with AAR Type B trucks is good for the SP. The Rock Island's were the medium height cab with AAR Type B trucks. The SP owned 10, the Rock Island owned 10, 1 ALCO demonstrator, 2 on the SP&S, 1 each on the Monongahela Connecting...
  12. Railroad Joe

How prototypical is your layout?

Hello everyone!! When the time comes, I'm hoping to build a "close" rendition of the Rock Island between Joliet, IL. starting at roughly MP38 and operate to MP46, which includes by childhood hometown of Rockdale. We'll just have to wait & see. I have personal issues that have to be finished...
  13. Railroad Joe

Weekend Photo Fun 2-20/2-22

Jerome & all, Here is a photo of the EJ&E SW1001 #444. As you can see in the photo, it is in the mill brown paint scheme. Currently though, it is in the green scheme. So it depends on which era you would like to reproduce. :)
  14. Railroad Joe

Weekend Photo Fun 2-20/2-22

Jerome, You are amazing!! Ever think of trying your modeling skills at an EJ&E SW1001?? Thats the version with the close clearance (lowered) and round top cabs. I'd love to see that done. Everyone else, your skills are outstanding!!! Regards,
  15. Railroad Joe

Improvements to the AHM/Rivarossi Casey Jones

Mike, As for the whistle in Jackson, TN. that one was built by Charles Jones, Casey's son. The real whistle is at St. Francois County Railroad Club at Bonne Terre, Missouri. I have an old book from childhood that has this information. As for the sound of the whistle, you are right, hearing...
  16. Railroad Joe

Improvements to the AHM/Rivarossi Casey Jones

Mike, I have a couple of these locomotives. After purchasing the 1st one, it didn't even make it around the club layout(when I belonged to a club) before the gears locked up and literally tore the drive rod nut & bolt out of the plastic spoke. That made the the locomotive useless since parts...
  17. Railroad Joe

Weekend Photo Fun 1-26/1-25

Carl & Jim, Thanks for the complements on the new locomotive. You know Jim, it would be really hard for railroads to spend money on paint schemes in today's age by comparison to 1976. I would have to say no, they probably wouldn't paint locomotives like they did in 76. Thoughts? Now, onto...
  18. Railroad Joe

Weekend Photo Fun 1-26/1-25

Newest acquisition Hello everyone, I know I'm a little late for last weekend's photos, but................ Here are some photos of my latest acquisition, a Kato SD38-2 custom painted in the EJ&E's 1976 Bi-Centennial scheme. Hope you enjoy!! Regards,
  19. Railroad Joe

railroad "game"

Hello Ryan!! Thanks for letting us know what your given name is(you too Jake!!) Your answer to my question about the first railroad to bridge the Mighty Mississippi is totally correct!! Now back to your regularily scheduled question & answer session. :) Regards,
  20. Railroad Joe

railroad "game"

Hello DCC Installed!! You are correct on the name of the current bridge and the date of the first train to cross the original bridge, but my question was what railroad? As a side note & I'm not trying to be ignorant, but do you at least have a 1st name for your signature? I feel kinda funny...

Back