What's this diesel?

PRR ron

Just bought a brand new K4. Awesome piece.
Also brought out my old friend an Alco Super 630 from 1976.
But my question is, what type of diesel is the #9078 Penn Central?
It's dead and was thinking of replacing it, but without knowing what I am looking for...

http://www.97transam.com/HO_platform/locos.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to guess it's an Alco 415 or 420? Maybe made by IHC by the looks of it.
I love the old stuff!

Life Like model of an Alco C415 as said above. I have one in the basement, the motors are crap although I used the motor out of the 415 to power a LL RS11
t's dead and was thinking of replacing it, but without knowing what I am looking for...
Well unless you have a lot of patience I'd leave it dead or you can be brave, do a lot of work and sweating and mount it on an Athearn GP7 chassis

3765-2.png

LL RS11 body on a Athearn GP7 chassis

Well unless you have a lot of patience I'd leave it dead or you can be brave, do a lot of work and sweating and mount it on an Athearn GP7 chassis

I'm not so connected to this old guy as I am to some of the others that I have. It was from an uncle and it never had decent pulling power during my ownership. With limited track siding space, I think I'm going to set this one aside for now as I rather go for some Bachmann RF-16 Sharks, both A and B Unit, to pull the Pennsy passenger coach cars. But thanks for the suggestion. I have a couple of Pennsy F7 shells that I may attempt to put on a new chassis.

I'm not so connected to this old guy as I am to some of the others that I have. It was from an uncle and it never had decent pulling power during my ownership. With limited track siding space, I think I'm going to set this one aside for now as I rather go for some Bachmann RF-16 Sharks, both A and B Unit, to pull the Pennsy passenger coach cars. But thanks for the suggestion. I have a couple of Pennsy F7 shells that I may attempt to put on a new chassis.
That C415 probably had single-truck drive, with rubber bands on the wheels for extra traction. They are available again, retooled, and with all-wheel drive. I saw them at a dealer show a few years ago. I believe IHC is the current marketer.

The C415 is a worthwhile model to get running again. Just as they are not common on prototype railroads, the AHM/Life-Like model is not very common in the MR world. It was not a populat model and the drive trains werenot very good. There are repowering kits you can use to bring the engine up to more modern standards and the engine dimensions are right on. Some detail work and handrail replacements will make for a right smart looking locomotive. As had been metioned, there were only 26 made and the high cab version with Standard AAR Type B trucks is only correct for the Rock Island and the SP. The SP version requires more extensive kitbashing to mount the standard SP light clusters on both ends.

Hello all,

Jim, a slight correction on your post, the high cab with AAR Type B trucks is good for the SP. The Rock Island's were the medium height cab with AAR Type B trucks. The SP owned 10, the Rock Island owned 10, 1 ALCO demonstrator, 2 on the SP&S, 1 each on the Monongahela Connecting, Columbia & Cowlitz and the Chehalis Western. It was the first(I think) to use Alco's 251 engine, replacing the burbling 244. There are still a few in operating condition across the USA, but as far as I know, none of the Rock Island's(that survive) are operational.

As for models, yes, the latest plastic model was done by IHC & it is of the high cab/AAR Type B trucks. My avatar shows the Overland Models brass version, which was made about 6 years ago. I have 2 brass versions & 1 IHC plastic version, of course all in Rock Island.

Respectful regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Railroad Joe the ALCO 251 engine started field use in ALCO Plant Switcher #6 in about 1951 or 1952. The C415's were the first use of the ALCO 8V-251 engine. You missed it by a few years. :)

It was the first(I think) to use Alco's 251 engine, replacing the burbling 244.

Respectful regards,

Whoops, you're right, Joe, the RI units were medium cab. Don't know how I slipped up on that one. So the only correct prototype for the AHM models were the 10 SP units and one Chehalis Western unit. All the other high cab units had High Adhesion trucks.

I just picked one of these up in a box of train stuff for $25. In decent shape, no broken rails ect. Runs all lights work. I don't know why anyone would bash this, it looks like a decent little engine for its age. With the raretity of them it has to be worth more than $15. Not that it matters I got 4 engines out of that box of HO stuff and over a dozen cars. 2 Lifelike 4" Steamers, a NYC RR and a AT&SF. A Sante FE passenger type one, so I know I could at least make my $25 back.

Hammersley Iron in Western Australia bought the demonstrator - I believe it is on display somewhere over there still.

Ross McConchie
Canberra, Australia

Back