Weekly Photo Fun 11-13/11-19

Little off topic, but I figured at least ONE person here would be interested...
cpdtraffic_16nov09_02.jpg

Sorry for the of topic comment, But our cops here have Dodge Magnum's and Chargers Completely Unmarked and pimped out with 20" rims(Until they hit the lights) Traffic unit's! Now they are a sight to see! Our HP has a few Mustangs and Camaros too....

That looks like a beautiful unit:):)----too bad it would not fit in my living room---Audrey'd kill me!!:eek::eek:

You only go around once! Live it up Barry, get a set! I mean a set of locomotive that is!:DHonesty, I don't think Audrey would kill you! She'd hire some to do that for her!:D

SGS, I know that the CN always seemed to like the nose headlight over the top hood mount. I assumed that was because of the bell position. I just wondered why they didn't recess the headlight into the short hood but I suppose your explanation is as good as any.

Jeffery, you building looks like it will have a nice "other side of the tracks" look. :)

Chris, California law prohibits completely unmarked vehicles whose primary duty is traffic enforcement. There has to a minimum size of lettering or marking, one of the reasons you see that faint "Traffic" marking on the rear of the Coronado unit. It got added to the vehicle code back in the 50's, when we had Carl Chessman, the infamous "Red Light Bandit". He'd put a red light on his dash, pull over women, and then rape and kill them. It's actually a good law, since it gives you some idea you're being pulled over by a real cop.

Jeffery, you building looks like it will have a nice "other side of the tracks" look. :)
Thanks. That's exactly the look I'm trying to achieve. The area that I'm using as a rough guide for my layout is a depressed industrial area. Money is tight and the bottom line takes precedence over outward appearance.

Mike, I wonder how they even got it in the truck? Maybe they run it up on some snap track. :D

That would definitely give new meaning to Snap track.:D The stand it is displayed on has rails and it has caster wheels on the bottom. There was a platform in the bed of the truck that also had rails. Not seen it the pic was a sort of bridge piece with rails that now I realize was to span across the tailgate between the rails in the truck bed and the wooden stand. Roll on, roll off deal the same as the larger sized live steam guys do.

The NJ State police just got a but load of Camaro's pimped out in the nj sppd stuff. Actually looks cool with the door logo on it. And now chevy is supposedly coming out with the caprice again with the police package. Not that our department will get either, they seem to be anti-anything other then ford. They got a tahoe police package and tried it and sent it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, California law prohibits completely unmarked vehicles whose primary duty is traffic enforcement. There has to a minimum size of lettering or marking, one of the reasons you see that faint "Traffic" marking on the rear of the Coronado unit. It got added to the vehicle code back in the 50's, when we had Carl Chessman, the infamous "Red Light Bandit". He'd put a red light on his dash, pull over women, and then rape and kill them. It's actually a good law, since it gives you some idea you're being pulled over by a real cop.
Not here:confused: The only reason I know what the car is cause i seen it in action The Magnum is charcoal gray and the charger is red! These dodges are completely UNmarked they even got regular Lic. tags!:mad:

Not here:confused: The only reason I know what the car is cause i seen it in action The Magnum is charcoal gray and the charger is red! These dodges are completely UNmarked they even got regular Lic. tags!:mad:
Q-cars! The British used the same trick on the German U-boats. They had ships (termed Q-ships) that looked like slow freighters or tankers but had the power and speed of destroyers and concealed guns and depth charge racks. The life expectancy of a sub caught unawares by one of these ships could be measured in minutes.

I can imagine what traffic law violators think!

Here's another building I was doing some work on today. It's the O.L. King & Sons building from Walther's. There used to be a building similar to in Leesville. It was torn down after being condemned several years before.

DSCN2246.jpg

They have a similar law here in Leesville. An unmarked car can't make a traffic stop but a car without lights but has police markings can.

Greetings everyone, outstanding work done by all!! As for the "Live Diesel" locomotive, it appears to be 1.5" scale or 7.5" gauge. Also, it appears to be a "1 timer" In other words, this may be the only 1.5" scale Alco/MLW M420W locomotive on the face of the earth. At a guess, it may have cost upwards of $20.000 or more to build. I know of a gentleman in Chillicothe, IL. whos Rock Island C44-9W was built by Mountain Car Co. and it was over $25.000 I have included a picture of my switcher and ride on car. My locomotive alone, unpainted, is $5680.00 If you are interested, check out www.discoverlivesteam.com and that website will show what live steam & diesel railroading is all about. As a side note, I'm loving this aspect of the model railroading hobby :)

someone posted a link a while back with some live steamers or diesels. A guy had a married pair of C44-9W NS's. Had some sort of japanese diesel engine in it and custom sound program. The diesel almost sounded like a ge engine, but once the sound system was turned on it was incredible.

Yep, it was me that posted that link. On their website, they have links for not only equipment for sale, but links to railroads across the USA. Up at Train Mountain in Oregon, they show 4 - 1.5" scale C44-9W's mu'ed together. By the way, I forgot to mention that my switcher weighs between 350 to 400 lbs. Like the picture of the M420W, I have a rack on wheels to manuver my locomotive around the garage.

Regards,

Nice building, Jeffrey. As a suggestion, think about painting that non-brick strip above the windows and the top cap the same concrete color as the foundation.

Joe, cute little..err..big engine. :) I can imagine the one in the pic Mike posted costing 25 grand. Maybe if I win the lottery someday...

Steve, our department had two Camaros for a while. Total junk and their high speed handling was terrible. They lasted a year before they were sold off. It would be great if Chevy would really bring back a real Caprice with a real police package again but the one I've seen, which won't be out until 2011, is going to be based on the Pontiac G8 frame, which means it will be smaller than the Impala police package cars they have now. The console arrangement is a disaster from the pictures, with the radios having to be side mounted, which almost mandates a touch screen control system, since you can't be looking sideways to change a channel at 100 mph. :eek: I predict a short and dismal life for this thing if it ever really hits the streets.

Chris, not even having exempt plates, or whatever government plates are called down in Florida, is really a bad idea. You can buy everything you need to equip a car with all the lights and sirens you want on the web and all the clear LED lights make them nearly invisible to a passing officer. This is an invitation to perverts and thugs to be able to stop citizens and impersonate officers. I'm surprised this hasn't already happened.

PRE-Warning, LONG post...

Josh, I guess that would be me. :) That's a pretty slick Mustang - literally. I don't even see an antenna. One of those could sneak up on you and you'd never know it was a police car. With all the hideaway strobes and clear LED lights now, it could light up like a Christmas tree and you'd never see it until they hit the switch. I'm not sure why Coronado thinks they need one but I'm sure they guys who get to drive it are stoked. :D I think this is the first time I've seen a Mustang police car since the days that the CHP regularly had a few per district as pursuit vehicles.
Yup, aimed at you... ;) Nicely marked car, only had visible LED's in the rear window, rear quarter windows, and two small ones in the grill.

Sorry for the of topic comment, But our cops here have Dodge Magnum's and Chargers Completely Unmarked and pimped out with 20" rims(Until they hit the lights) Traffic unit's! Now they are a sight to see! Our HP has a few Mustangs and Camaros too....
Magnums were around, but have since been sold, the San Diego County Sheriff's Office and CHP have tons of Chargers now, along with Border Patrol.

The traffic marking is not that faint, the lighting and angle just caused it, see below...

The NJ State police just got a but load of Camaro's pimped out in the nj sppd stuff. Actually looks cool with the door logo on it. And now chevy is supposedly coming out with the caprice again with the police package. Not that our department will get either, they seem to be anti-anything other then ford. They got a tahoe police package and tried it and sent it back.
Caprice is confirmed:
http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/

Steve, our department had two Camaros for a while. Total junk and their high speed handling was terrible. They lasted a year before they were sold off. It would be great if Chevy would really bring back a real Caprice with a real police package again but the one I've seen, which won't be out until 2011, is going to be based on the Pontiac G8 frame, which means it will be smaller than the Impala police package cars they have now. The console arrangement is a disaster from the pictures, with the radios having to be side mounted, which almost mandates a touch screen control system, since you can't be looking sideways to change a channel at 100 mph. :eek: I predict a short and dismal life for this thing if it ever really hits the streets.

Chris, not even having exempt plates, or whatever government plates are called down in Florida, is really a bad idea. You can buy everything you need to equip a car with all the lights and sirens you want on the web and all the clear LED lights make them nearly invisible to a passing officer. This is an invitation to perverts and thugs to be able to stop citizens and impersonate officers. I'm surprised this hasn't already happened.
Jim, the Caprice is based upon the Holden chassis outta Australia, not sure where the G8 rumor came from on the net. I'm thinking its because Holden makes the chassis of the G8 and Camaro's.

This car is much more roomy then the Impala, and better designed then the Crown Vic and Charger, however... I'll agree the layout looks like crap. Try driving a Trailblazer with the code box BEHIND your right elbow, and the Radio sticking out from a GIANT center console, about 3"... Those vehicle are NOT meant to be LE vehicles, yet we have them... I have fears that the radio location will not last long after LAPD tests the G8 based pre-production models.

Now, I posted the photo of the car because its odd. Not a common thing to see a full black & white Mustang GT these days for LE use. Being a traffic car, for Coronado, the MOST it does is stop people doing 35 in a 25... Coronado has very little crime, so having 2 seat vehicles would be workable, but I've only seen traffic Mustangs, and not that often.

cpdtraffic_16nov09_01.jpg

Got my Andersley DODX flat about 50% done, and the HelveticaRR decals came in for it... One step closer, now to solve the trucks problem...

Now, I posted the photo of the car because its odd. Not a common thing to see a full black & white Mustang GT these days for LE use. Being a traffic car, for Coronado, the MOST it does is stop people doing 35 in a 25... Coronado has very little crime, so having 2 seat vehicles would be workable, but I've only seen traffic Mustangs, and not that often.

That Cop Mustang reminds me of Barricade on the Transformers:D! On The first move Battle between Bumble Bee(2010 Camaro) and Barricade (2010 Mustang) best Part JMO;):p......... For you guys that haven't seen either transformer Movies, There is some real nice cars on the movies!

More likely it is that these two posters have found something of mutual interest in a handy thread meant for sharing images.

Anyone can jump in or post a photo about trains. :)

-Crandell

Back