railroad "game"

Hello DCC Installed!!

You are correct on the name of the current bridge and the date of the first train to cross the original bridge, but my question was what railroad? As a side note & I'm not trying to be ignorant, but do you at least have a 1st name for your signature? I feel kinda funny calling you DCC Installed instead of by your given 1st name. Thanks!!

Regards,

stl, the Pennsy isn't even close to the most. I'll ask the same question as Joe, do you have a first name we can call you? I get confused with screen names with letters and numbers. :)

Howdy, Jake and Ryan. The answer to the 44 tonner question is the New Haven. 20 units total as the New Haven was trying to stave off bankruptcy and using 44 tonners did not require a fireman under the existing labor contracts. They worked with GE to develop an MU system and used sets of three and four for switching and transfer work.

Q.: What US steam hauled passenger train with a route of over 400 miles had the highest average speed per mile?

Hello Ryan!!

Thanks for letting us know what your given name is(you too Jake!!)

Your answer to my question about the first railroad to bridge the Mighty Mississippi is totally correct!!

Now back to your regularily scheduled question & answer session. :)

Regards,

OK, you guys, surely we have to have some Milwaukee Road fans out there. It was the Hiawatha from Chicago to Minneapolis. Average speed as just under 64 mph, beating the C&NW's "400" by about 2 mph.

Q.: The president of the Baldwin Locomotive Works gave a speech in 1935 predicting diesels would never take over from steam for mainline power. What was the chief reason why steam would always be around?

I believe it was the VP of Baldwin, Robert Binkerd, who stated that a diesel's drawbar pull or tractive effort at speed was significantly less than a steam engines's. Therefore, a diesel may be fine for switching and yard work, but not for pulling passenger trains at 80 mph. Is this what you're looking for, Jim?

Keith Baker

I'm Impressed...

I know as much about model railroading as anyone. But you guys have me under the grass when it comes to general railroading knowledge. I've really learned something with this thread. I'm not sure how it's going to help me and my short-line lumber railroad, but I'm impressed with your inputs.
Allan

Back