railroad "game"

kwalker421

H-8 Lover
i sort of "borrowed" this from another site. but here's the game. i'll start it off by asking a railroad trivia question. then, the next person to answer the question gets to make up another railroad question. here's an example of the game;

me

Q: The BNSF railroad is comprised of what two merged railroads?

player 1

A: the Burlington Northern and the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroads.

Q: what year was Amtrak formed?

and this goes on and on.

so, i'll start this off.

Q: the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central railroad merged to form Penn Central in what year?

A. Converted or Cab- a CF7 is an F7 with its car body removed and a cab added.

Q: In the railroad related movie "The Station Agent," what railroad operated the track in question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Q: In the railroad related movie "The Station Agent," what railroad operated the track in question?

A. New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway

Q What is the largest city in the lower 48 states that never had any kind of railroad service?

UP2CSX - NYS&W build the road, but it wasn't the operator by the time the movie was made. Morristown and Erie runs it now.

kwalker421 said:
Q: Which state has the most miles of railroad track?
A: That would be California.
Q: What was the first diesel to be mass produced and end steam operations?

Has to still be the Indian pacific in Australia.

Q: why was the mortality rate of the Chinese workers on the southern pacific so much lower than that of the non-Chinese?

KWalker, Phoenix, is not the right answer, especially since Phoenix has rail service today. The correct answer is St. George, Utah. It has a metropolitan population of 140,000 and has never has rail service of any kind.

Rigby, I guess my answer on the "Station Agent" was half right then.:)

Q: why was the mortality rate of the Chinese workers on the southern pacific so much lower than that of the non-Chinese?

A. Because they drank tea instead of water. The tea was made from boiled water, which killed the bacteria that sickened and killed many of the white workers. They also bathed every day and put on clean clothes, so the cholera epidemics that affected the railroad camps did not kill as many Chinese as whites.

Q: What was the first diesel to be mass produced and end steam operations?

A. Would have to be the EMD FT, 1096 units total

Last edited by a moderator:
Q. What non-articulated steam locomtive produced the most tractive effort and horsepower?

A: that would be the PRR Q-2 with a tractive effort of 100,800 lbs and 7,987 HP. hope i'm not wrong again :rolleyes:

Q: The Union Pacific Bailey Yard is located in what town in what state?

KWalker, right on the money, it was the PRR Q-2.

Q: The Union Pacific Bailey Yard is located in what town in what state?

A: North Platte, Nebraska. Pretty darned impressive too. :)

Q: Where was the first hump yard in the US, when was it opened, and what railroad owned it?

Bonus points: What is the largest country in population that has no railroad hump yards?

Q: Where was the first hump yard in the US, when was it opened, and what railroad owned it?

Bonus points: What is the largest country in population that has no railroad hump yards?

A: i do believe the Pennsylvania RR built the first hump yard in 1890 at Honey Point near Wilkes-Barre, PA

Q: what railroad owns the only ALCO RS-2 that is used in active service today?

Q: what railroad owns the only ALCO RS-2 that is used in active service today?
A: I know Texas State Railway still runs an RS-2, but I don't know if thats the one you are looking for?

Back