Search results

1. SPfan

Rewiring Bachmann 2-8-4?

Thanks Guys!!!! Thanks Jim & Rex!! I MAY have found a 4-8-2, but if that falls through, at least now I have a back up plan! Thanks again for the help!
  2. SPfan

Rewiring Bachmann 2-8-4?

I would like to get a HO scale SP 4-8-2, but haven't been able to find one. I was thinking about buying a Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire (DCC equip.for power/no sound), and a Bachmann SP tender (DCC ready), and swapping tenders. I have no idea if this is a good idea (or a really bad one). Could I...
  3. SPfan

Battery Powered LED Lights For Xing Signals?

Has anyone ever tried using small battery powered LED lights for their crossing signals? I was hoping to avoid any more wiring to my layout, and thought just maybe there was a way to put some of these little LED's to work.
  4. SPfan

Where To Put Speaker In Athearn Switcher!

Thanks for the suggestions Jim. I ended up just taking out the cab interior and putting them there. I will also be using your link to buy a spkr for one of my SD40's, so thanks for the recommendation too.
  5. SPfan

Where To Put Speaker In Athearn Switcher!

Where To Put Speaker In Athearn Switcher OK, I'm at my wits end trying to get the shell back on my Athearn Genesis switcher. Has anyone had any luck installing a Digitrax Soundbug SFX004 into a MP15AC switcher? (I'm using a Digitrax DH165A0 decoder) I've tried everything and cannot find a way...
  6. SPfan

HELP! Newbie installing 1st sound decoder

As always, great feedback! I went ahead and shrink tubed all joints. Thanks!!!!
  7. SPfan

HELP! Newbie installing 1st sound decoder

I'm installing a Digitrax Soundbug SFX004 into an Athearn Genesis MP15AC using a Digitrax DH165A0 decoder (2nd time around, I fried the 1st). Could anybody help me with where to safely mount the capacitor? Also, does anybody have any helpful hints as far as making sure that no shorts occur?
  8. SPfan

Decoder....Cajun Style

Thanks Jim. I did try to insulate everything as good as possible, BUT there was a white wire (probably an unused wire like you mentioned) that I did not know what to do with. I will also verify that all wires are going where they should be. I appreciate the help!
  9. SPfan

Decoder....Cajun Style

Apparently you're NOT supposed to see a bright white light and smell a nice burnt aroma when installing a sound decoder? I recently fried a Digitrax SFX004 decoder while trying to wire it in my Genesis MP15AC to a Dig. DH16A50 decoder. Can anyone tell me some of the reasons this would happen...
  10. SPfan

Soundtraxx Decoder Question...Newbie

How do you like your Tsunami? The locos I'm hoping to use are a SP GP35 (ATH97122) & a SP SD40 (ATH93552). I think they're both DCC Quick Plug equipped (if that helps).
  11. SPfan

Soundtraxx Decoder Question...Newbie

I FINALLY finished my HO layout:D:,but I would like to add sound. I have mostly Athearn diesels, and was hoping to find a decoder with sound for them. Does anyone know if there is a decoder (with sound) that is all plug n play (inc. speakers)? I was looking into the Soundtraxx DSD-101LC, but...
  12. SPfan

Newbies Attempt to Wire DCC Layout..HELP

A tip of the old hat to all you guys! Many Thanks! Brandon __________________________________________ Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  13. SPfan

Ah ha. Got it! I guess I forgot to add one final question. Is there a way to get power to your track, without soldering? Thanks Again
  14. SPfan

I'm just about finished laying track on my layout, and I'm trying to figure out a wiring question (probably a real basic one). Is there any advantage to using Atlas terminal track vs Atlas terminal joiners? It's a 4 x 8' HO DCC layout, with Atals code 83 track. I plan on using the NCE Power...
  15. SPfan

Newbie's 1st Decoder Inst.......

Thanks..... Thanks Spacemouse. You're right, probably just blowin' off some steam from something that should've been so darn easy. I guess I should've asked about experience replacing a headlight bulb on Athearns. (That may be my solution right there). I have put the shell back on, but I will...
  16. SPfan

Newbie's 1st Decoder Inst.......

I was able to get my first decoder in (if a Digitrax plug n play counts). By the way, I'm assuming NOW that the 6" harness included is for older Athearns. Anyway, I was trying to be very careful, but the headlight wiring came loose from the cab. I tried (unsuccessfully) everything I could...
  17. SPfan

HELP!!Newbie Building First HO Layout!!!

Thanks so much for all the help and expertise. You guys really know your stuff, which sure as heck helps guys like me who are just getting our feet wet. I appreciate the advice Mr. Red Horse, and I know I'll be back each step to try and save myself some headaches.:D
  18. SPfan

Roadbed For 1st Layout

I'm still learning a lot about roadbed, but I think I've got it narrowed down to WS roadbed or Atlas True Track. Does anyone have any opinions on these two? Also, there are a few sizes I can't find in True Track that I need (1/3" 18" radius, 3/4" straight, 1" straight, 1-1/4" straight, 2-1/2"...
  19. SPfan

HELP!!Newbie Building First HO Layout!!!

Experience With True Track? Thanks for all the helpful advice. Now that I know I need roadbed, I think I've got it narrowed down to WS roadbed or Atlas True Track. Does anyone have any opinions on this stuff? Also, there are a few sizes I can't find in True Track (1/3" 18" radius, 3/4"...

Back