Decoder....Cajun Style

SPfan

Apparently you're NOT supposed to see a bright white light and smell a nice burnt aroma when installing a sound decoder? I recently fried a Digitrax SFX004 decoder while trying to wire it in my Genesis MP15AC to a Dig. DH16A50 decoder. Can anyone tell me some of the reasons this would happen? (and some things I can do to prevent this from happening again?) Oh, and does Digitrax repair their decoders? (and for how much?)

How did you wire it in? Are you sure all the function wires are going to right place, as shown in the installation drawings? Did you make sure any unused function wires were well insulated and not touching any part of the motor or frame? How about the capacitor? If those wires aren't insulated completely and anything shorts, instant smoke. I'd call Digitrax customer service at (850) 872 9890. They do repair smoked decoders and the prices are usually in the $20 range. The techs can also walk you through the installation and help you understand where you went wrong.

Thanks Jim. I did try to insulate everything as good as possible, BUT there was a white wire (probably an unused wire like you mentioned) that I did not know what to do with. I will also verify that all wires are going where they should be. I appreciate the help!

Back