HELP! Newbie installing 1st sound decoder

SPfan

I'm installing a Digitrax Soundbug SFX004 into an Athearn Genesis MP15AC using a Digitrax DH165A0 decoder (2nd time around, I fried the 1st). Could anybody help me with where to safely mount the capacitor? Also, does anybody have any helpful hints as far as making sure that no shorts occur?

I'm not familiar with either the decoder or engine, but you can use electrical tape on the decoder in places where you are worried. So far, I've been able to mount the capcitor straight to the decoder as there was space in that area.

best to use shrink tubing around all solder joints. and place electrical tape over the frame or weight where the decoder will be placed. I have never wire up an athearn but If i recall you need to isolate the frame as it is used to transfer track power to the motor?

Trent

I'd use heat shrink tubing on all the solder joints and over the capacitor as well. Electrical tape works but it gets less sticky over time and will eventually start to come unwrapped and you'll fry another decoder somewhere down the line. The capacitor with the Soundbug is so big that it's hard to find a place to stick it. Covering that with heat shrink tubing will allow you to place it wherever you have room without worrying about any of the metal parts touching the frame. I'm assuming that, since you're using the DH165A0 decoder, that you are replacing the existing light control board on the MP15. The engine should be DCC ready but it's always a good idea to check for continuity between the frame and motor to make sure the motor is really isolated form the frame.

Back