Rewiring Bachmann 2-8-4?

SPfan

I would like to get a HO scale SP 4-8-2, but haven't been able to find one. I was thinking about buying a Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire (DCC equip.for power/no sound), and a Bachmann SP tender (DCC ready), and swapping tenders. I have no idea if this is a good idea (or a really bad one). Could I just rewire the new SP tender with the engine? Oh, and I would like to add sound to the tender. Any advice????

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they all use the same mini plug for connections so I don't see why it wouldn't work. As for sound decoders, it's hard to beat a Soundtraxx Tsunami for steam.

I agree with Jim, they should be the same mini-plug with the same wiring configuration. The only thing I have found that varies with different Bachmann models is the color code sometimes varies...this shouldn't be an issue...just plug'r up and go.

Thanks Guys!!!!

Thanks Jim & Rex!! I MAY have found a 4-8-2, but if that falls through, at least now I have a back up plan! Thanks again for the help!

I would like to get a HO scale SP 4-8-2, but haven't been able to find one. I was thinking about buying a Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire (DCC equip.for power/no sound), and a Bachmann SP tender (DCC ready), and swapping tenders. I have no idea if this is a good idea (or a really bad one). Could I just rewire the new SP tender with the engine? Oh, and I would like to add sound to the tender. Any advice????

Which loco are you trying to model?

Back