Soundtraxx Decoder Question...Newbie

SPfan

I FINALLY finished my HO layout:D:,but I would like to add sound. I have mostly Athearn diesels, and was hoping to find a decoder with sound for them. Does anyone know if there is a decoder (with sound) that is all plug n play (inc. speakers)? I was looking into the Soundtraxx DSD-101LC, but I didn't know if everything (inc. speaker) was plug n play. If anyone knows an all inclusive sound decoder for Athearn (std.,not Genesis) locos, I would really appreciate the help.

Hey SPfan

I just installed a Sountraxx Tsunami into an older atheran BB loco. It would depend on if your athearns have the dcc ready board or not to tell you what you would need. If you are able to give us model numbers or pop the shells and take a few photos we can let you know!

As far as all inclusive you would have to add a speaker/enclosure separately if you go with soundtraxx.

How do you like your Tsunami? The locos I'm hoping to use are a SP GP35 (ATH97122) & a SP SD40 (ATH93552). I think they're both DCC Quick Plug equipped (if that helps).

Click Here for a video of it

I have installed many of them with no complaints.

The hardest part on the Athearns will be making room for the decoder and speaker. I have started using mini-oval speakers and they sound great. You will probably have to cut part of the weight over the rear trucks to make some room...

Let us know if you have any more questions!

Exactly what Ryan said. For my F59PHI, I had to make a custom speaker fitting to fit in back, and it proves to be very good and it would rival a HB speaker enclosure. Not to mention the sounds in them are AMAZING. I plan on getting one or two more Tsunami's for my B40-8W and MRL SD40-2.

Back