Search results

1. R

Fuel Hub

Hi I bought these two kits Kibri MIRO Storage Tank Kit (39832) ages ago. As it turns out I'm about 10 times smaller than what I thought I needed. The prototypical tanks is about 3000m3 vs the kit 340m3. So I'm unsure about whether to cut my losses or just go it. I have thought about...
  2. R

Point Control on XPS Foam

Hi I have kind of stalled in my layout build. I'm not sure how to control the points, my baseboard is 50mm XPS foam glued to 3mm ply. I was going to control the points with servos and arduino, I have modelled a linear actuator, so I could mount the servo off to the side and hide the wire...
  3. R

Wiring a Point for DCC

Hi I have these Peco points, I think they are an old version. I have seen how to modify the new points for more reliable DCC operation, I just want to clarify the required modification for these. It's only the part to the left of the frog that needs the power to alternate via a switch, while...
  4. R

Joints in the Backdrop

Hi How do you deal with the joint on the backdrop when joining two modules? Cheers
  5. R

Banded Iron Rail

Hi After lots of questions, listening to advise on this forum, the build has finally commenced, my layout is going to be based on an iron ore mine with a train load out and car dumper (hopefully operational) plus a few additional infrastructure. I would like a conveyor to connect it all up...
  6. R

Bending MDF

Hi I 'm is the process of doing the backdrop for the layout and I'm using 3mm MDF. I to bend for the corners to a 300mm radius, my two options are to cut the back of the MDF to a depth of 2mm for the length of the radius at 20 or 30mm gaps. The second option is to soak the corner with water...
  7. R

Kreg Pocket Holes

Hi I've started to build my base boards using pocket hole screws. Kreg provides guidelines as to what material thickness to match the screw length / jig settings. My question is that the material (15mm) falls between 12mm and 16mm, I gather I would use the 12mm setting...
  8. R

Painting Wooden Sleeper Points to look like Concrete

Hi I'm doing my layout with Peco HO Code 100 concrete sleepers, unfortunately I couldn't find concrete points (turnouts) in Code 100 only Code 75. I know I could just leave them black, because back in the day they would mix the two, but they have stopped doing that now. Has anyone tried to...
  9. R

Layout Revised

Hi Turns out my layout does not fit my expectations, so it's coming down. The main thing is to make it modular so it can be moved and the space I have. So the layout has an outside loop, so the trains can run continuously but also branch off for the dumper and loader. However I would also...
  10. R

What is this loco

Hi Any idea what this is, all I have it's Lima #312, its from 1973 / 74 maybe Just looking for some info, try google but no luck Cheers
  11. R

Iron Ore Chute

Hi I was looking at a chute for a iron loader loader in HO scale, from the net I have come across this as a possibility. This chute rotates about two points, one to move the chute out of the way (red) so the loco can pass and the other to open the clam chute. I've seen a working models...
  12. R

Casting A Wagon

Hi I want to cast a wagon and was just wondering how people stuck down the master before pouring the mold. Cheers
  13. R

Steel Connections

Hi As part of project I'm building a steel structure, I do have details for connection various steel members, but how would translate this to HO scale. I've tried to find some examples but they were do very clear. So if anyone has close up pics that would be great. Cheers
  14. R

All I Want For Christams is an Indexer

Hi I chasing some plans, parts list, anything really, to start putting together an indexer for a rotary car dumper. I have come across some good infomation on line, but northing to really show me how to do this, so if anyone has an info that would be great. Merry Christmas
  15. R

Old C415 Loco Reburbishment

Hi So I have this old loco that's in need some much TLC, my first issue this old motor, it's sparking at the brushes. I have cleaned them and the armature, what would be the cause or is it just coming to the end? The next issue is getting it going, so the motor works fine apart from the...
  16. R

Timesaver Shelf Layout

Hi I have put this layout together and was just after some feed back, good or bad. It's going to be N scale, I was trying to put some sort of elevation into it but I wasn't getting anywhere with that. I have been looking at different freight yards but nothing has been standing out. It's not...
  17. R

Detailing Sea Containers

Hi I recently 3D printed some sea contains in HO scale, I was going to paint them in LINFOX colours. Since I do not a have smooth surface in which to place a decal and masking for painting may not come out that good. Is there another way to place logos onto an uneven surface. Cheers
  18. R

Accurail - Black Roller Bearing Trucks

Hi I want to use Kadee #522 HO Scale 36" Diameter Smooth Back Metal Code 110 Wheels on the Accurail - #155 Black Roller Bearing Trucks. Accurail confirmed that the 33" worked but couldn't confirm if the 36" would, has anyone tried these out just want to make sure before taking the plunge. Cheers
  19. R

Match Paint Colours

Hi I know this is a loaded question, however after going to 3 hobby stores I'm still no closer, but I have extra paints now. The colours I've tried are Mr Hobby 335, 317, Tamiya XF-80 and TS-32. There are a few darker greys in there also, but they have been crossed of the list. I have since...
  20. R

Re-Fuelling Shed

Hi I'm finally going to start my re-fuelling shed in HO which will be a portal frame structure. The size of the shed is 115x 565mm so my question is what would be the starting thickness for the base of the structure. So far I have found foam core, but I haven't found anything less than...

Back