Match Paint Colours

regme

Hi

I know this is a loaded question, however after going to 3 hobby stores I'm still no closer, but I have extra paints now.

The colours I've tried are Mr Hobby 335, 317, Tamiya XF-80 and TS-32. There are a few darker greys in there also, but they have been crossed of the list.

I have since found out the model I'm trying to match to is not the right colour anyway, so there is a pic of the actual wagon. I found this colour AS2700 N23 Neutral Grey which I think is close, could be a bit darker. I can't seem to find a way to get an equilavent hobby colour.

The other paint colours I'm trying to match are AS2700 Y14 and B13. These AS2700 colours I can get, however I can't use an airbrush, too thick, could just use a brush.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_4798w.jpg
    IMG_4798w.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 188
You may want to check out some Star Brands grays (like MoW gray). They can be found through the PBL site: http://www.p-b-l.com/ .

You also may end up needing to mix your own. You may consider dropping some black, brown, or blue in the neutral gray that is close, but too light.

Well it's not gone very good, still not even close to grey. So this is what I have this is what I'm going for.

Going from Left to Right
Mr Color H317, H335, H418, 338, Tamiya XF 80 and XF12. Even tried AS2700 N23 (Neutral Grey) and that looks H335.

So what I'm after is the grey on the very right. So if anyone has ideas on a grey then that would be appreciated.

Attachments

• colour comparison.JPG
    colour comparison.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 184
I'm going to suggest something that is NOT a solution to matching the colors: Get close with a store-bought color and don't worry about the mismatch! From time-to-time the prototype shops might have had a problem matching paint batches. In addition, prolonged exposure to sunlight, rain, etc. could change the shade of color. For example I have a Stewart HO F3A/B set in C.B.&Q. "grayback" freight color scheme. The "gray" was very light, almost white on the originals. So is this set. But another A-unit (appears to be either a very late FT, and FT-2 or an F2) has a similar mechanism as a Stewart, although the designations on the truck cover plates are different.. The shade of gray is considerably darker than the Stewart (and other makes). I have no intention of repainting the darker shell and having to re-decal it. As far as I am concerned, the shop simply ran out of the usual color or it came from EMD that way and the "Q" shops figured to leave it alone until it needed repainting in the future. Lazy? Sure! But it works for me! ;)
Happy Channukah! Merry Christmas!

Yeah I guess, I went to the paint shop and found pantone 429c looked close, so they mixed it up. I won't be able to airbrush it but that's ok.

Cheers

Back