Layout Revised

regme

Hi

Turns out my layout does not fit my expectations, so it's coming down. The main thing is to make it modular so it can be moved and the space I have.

So the layout has an outside loop, so the trains can run continuously but also branch off for the dumper and loader. However I would also like to be able to have some shunting happening so your not just watching trains go round. The ultimate goal would be to have the dumper and loading working.

I have come up with the layout below and hit a few snags, the first I do not have 1.8m long arm span, so the corner is an issue. The second is most modules seem to be 1.2m x 0.6m wide, all though I could go for a 1.2mx1.2m module not sure if there would be any issues with going that way.

I'm not fixed to this layout, so any changes would be welcomed, even thought about running track under the dumper and loader and have the trains just come out at certain location, could be messy.

Cheers

Capture.JPG

Interesting plan!
I also like to have a train run while I do some switching.
You’re right about the reach tho, only fix I can see without major redesign is broader curves on that corner and a small triangular lift out?

So I have finalised the grades and clearances, so the max grade is 3%, just need to work on the contours. I was going to go with bridges but the batter slopes were not working so I'm going with tunnels instead. Would like to get a creek in there somewhere, but will see how it goes.

Layout 05.JPG

Well I finally pulled apart the old layout, which gave me time to fiddle with the new layout, I have moved things around and came up with this instead. Always felt like I just didn't have the space but I thing this works

Basically I have train load out on the hill (LHS), a car dumper (Top), and maintenance shed with a fuel storage (bottom).

Just want to run it past the group to see if there is something wrong with it or something I could add.

Cheers
Capture-03.JPG

Well I finally pulled apart the old layout, which gave me time to fiddle with the new layout, I have moved things around and came up with this instead. Always felt like I just didn't have the space but I thing this works

Basically I have train load out on the hill (LHS), a car dumper (Top), and maintenance shed with a fuel storage (bottom).

Just want to run it past the group to see if there is something wrong with it or something I could add.

Cheers
View attachment 149815
I am always in favor of simplifying track plans - this looks promising. Main question to ask yourself: will have enough operational possibilities to keep you interested in the long run?

Well that is the $64 dollar question that I have been battling with, all the infrastructure takes up so much space. Even with this layout I'm finding it hard to interface the scenery and the track, just to give it elevation.

Back