Casting A Wagon

regme

Hi

I want to cast a wagon and was just wondering how people stuck down the master before pouring the mold.

Cheers

When I make a mold, I either hot glue or super glue the master down. More complex parts without a flat side are on a sprue that is hot glued or super glued to the box.

Here's a write up I did awhile back on a specific part I was casting,

Thanks, I have been having a crack at casting a wagon without too much success. I created a two part mold but I'm getting too many air bubbles with the resin. With the talc power I was told you have to use industrial talc as the baby talc power has impurities to make is smell nice which causes issues for the resin, did you find this to be the case.

Attachments

• IMG_5735w.jpg
    IMG_5735w.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
If I use talc, I've just used baby powder or powder for billiards players. I sprinkle it into the mold, brush it around with a chip brush and the blow out the mold with compressed air. Only a very small amount of talc remains to break the surface tension between the silicon and resin. If I want a very smooth surface or it's not a complex mold with thin openings sometimes I don't do anything, just resin onto the silicon.

It looks like you are filling the bottom half and smashing on the top? When pouring the resin, try to pour it in a very thin stream from maybe a foot or so above the mold. Also pour it on a high spot in the mold and let it run into the lower parts. For mixing, I use tongue depressors. They are wood and about 3/4" across. Some people take a bundle of them and square the ends on a bandsaw. Stir the resin in a figure 8 pattern in the cup and don't forget to scrape the bottom and edges as you stir. Try not to stir too aggressively, that introduces lots of bubbles.

I'll give that ago, I have a vid of how I did it, but is't too big to post and when I tried to compress it, the quality was c##p.

Maybe it is just my technic needs more practice. I was using the wooden pop stick to pour the resin in from the cup.

Back