Search results

1. I

Everyone doing okay? What's going on here?

Have folks not been getting enough sleep lately, or has the isolation been causing people to forget how to be decent to one another? More than one thread lately has included what I would consider to be less than civil posts. There's enough anger and aggression going on in the outside world. Can...
  2. I

DCC Track Gap Question

Running NCE DCC. In the attached plan, I've marked where I plan on putting in the gaps in my track (red lines), bridging the gaps with some ARUs. Do these look like the most ideal places? Should I plan on including more gaps within the area and adding ARUs? Thanks! Ian
  3. I

Want to help with a new layout?

Just moving into our new house, and part of the conditions for moving was I get more space for a layout. I had a 10'x12' around the walls layout that the forum previously advised me greatly on, so wondering if the group wanted to tackle helping me design a new layout? If so, here are my Givens...
  4. I

Division Point Krauss-Maffei LokSound 4.0 DCC Install - Pics and Video

Wow... lot's of little wires to deal with. Took about 10 hours total, taking my time, being careful, and moving slowly since it's been quite awhile since I've done this kind of work. Overall work: Install/wire LokSound MTC21 with connector Install conductor in cab Wire TCS voltage...
  5. I

Sound Decoder and Speaker Recommendations

Finally getting my hands on a Division Point Krauss-Maffei (D&RGW - early edition). Currently it is DC only, so looking for recommendations on a sound decoder and speaker to convert to DCC. I saw a youtube video using the LokSound V4.0; sounded good, but the video was from 2014 so not sure if...
  6. I

Switchable Program Track Question

Quick question on having a switchable program track on an isolated spur... I'd like to have an LED indicator with my switch to show whether the program track is set for main track power or program track power out of my NCE Power House Pro 5 Amp system. Using ledcalculator.net, provided by...
  7. I

Brass Repair?

Purchased this off ebay (OMI 4229.1) and didn't notice the damage in the pics as he stated in the description that it was "new and undamaged," and I was overly excited to find one. The seller has been real good about it and offered to fund the repairs. Is this damage repairable? It looks like...
  8. I

Built my first control panel

I've been sidelined for a bit on my MRR, but have been able to get back and do some things. I've had the track work done for awhile now, but I've been unable to devote any time to the next step, which is getting the switching infrastructure in place. This required two things... figuring out...
  9. I

I got a chuckle out of this...

D&RGW MOW car.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Scale-DRGW-Maintenance-Car-LOOK-KIT-CAR-NICE-O708C-/320941131998?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4ab99508de By virtue of a silver sharpie :D
  10. I

Finally! It's here!!

I preordered in October of 2009 (prepaid too), and after, obviously, many delays, I got a call from my LHS to come pick up my box...and it was a doozy, roughly 2'x2'x8": And what could possibly take up a box that size? Why it's... finally... here.... Hooray!! My HO...
  11. I

FSM Bartholow Coal Company

I'm looking for the dimensions of this kit, and I found online that the footprint is 21"x12", but I cannot determine if this includes the trackage area or not. Has anyone built this that can fill me in? Thanks! Ian For reference, from http://fsmkits.homestead.com/kit_history.html:
  12. I

Railpictures.com warning ...

I hope this isn't out of line, please remove if it is... From a recent thread here, referencing railpictures.net (not .com): Folks, I'm not one to cry wolf, but this has now happened to me twice on two different computers and two different operating systems. Visiting the site, I get...
  13. I

Thoughts on bench design for new layout

I'm contemplating revamping my layout. The current design is the first image below. The outer mainline is 24", inner line is 22", and 18" interior. I've been slowly working on pulling together a set of D&RGW California Zephyr cars. I have a PA-B-A set in Aspen Leaf (finally found one), and 5...
  14. I

Looking for a loco...

Did any manufacturer produce an HO scale D&RGW ALCO PA in the Aspen Leaf scheme? Like the Precision Craft version: Or will I be painting my own? Thanks! Ian
  15. I

Shipping Constructed Buildings

I've finished the Suydam Roundhouse for a fellow enthusiast and now I need to ship it. Anyone have any experience with or suggestions for shipping a relatively fragile kit? Thanks! Ian
  16. I

How Trains Turn...

Hopefully not a repost ... came across this and thought it was neat. Never really gave it a lot of thought: y7h4OtFDnYE
  17. I

Disposing of thinner...

What's the best way to dispose of enamel thinner (mineral spirits)? The bottle says I should check local, state, and federal regulations ... not much help. How about acrylic thinner ... same concerns? Thanks! Ian
  18. I

Powering a display

I have a K-Line O Scale caboose that I purchased a couple of pieces of straight track (3 rail) for a display. I'd like to power it as it lights and smokes. Is a 9V battery sufficient for the occasional power? Will a 9V drive the light and the smoke unit? Thanks! Ian
  19. I

Malletman

Mike - sent you a couple of PMs with questions...haven't seen a response. Please get ahold of me. Thanks! Ian
  20. I

Building Limited Edition Kits

I picked up a number of craftsman kits, along with some other stuff, through a CL ad tonight. One of the kits was The Pozo Shafthouse by Link & Pin Models, apparently produced in Aug. 1989. This kit was limited to 500 (serial number on instructions is 105). It looks like it was purchased then...

Back