Sound Decoder and Speaker Recommendations

ianacole

Finally getting my hands on a Division Point Krauss-Maffei (D&RGW - early edition). Currently it is DC only, so looking for recommendations on a sound decoder and speaker to convert to DCC. I saw a youtube video using the LokSound V4.0; sounded good, but the video was from 2014 so not sure if something newer may be more appropriate. Also, no reference to what speaker was used for the application.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ian

Video I referenced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jldJ_Ay-Vs&t=4s

I think you couldn't go wrong with either the newest Soundtraxx Tsunami, QSI, TCS-WOW, or the LokSound variants made within the past six or seven years. I have a few QSI Revolution and Titan decoders, but only in steam; they're very nice. LokSound has the best motor control right out of the box. Sounds can run excellent to downright odd. However, oddness is not only their province because all decoder suppliers have their mistakes.

What I would do is to visit each site and listen to samples of their onboard sound files. If you can find a prototype with real sound on youtube, find a decoder with it in the library or index on the site and have a listen. Prepare to be somewhat disappointed with the onboard results because installations vary, so do speakers, and so do the sounds that issue from them. In HO scale, and I'm assuming it is HO, you just can't get highly convincing sounds. Your mind has to suspend disbelief.

Thanks Crandell! In additional searching I found that LokSound has downloadable sound files, and have "adapted" one specifically for the Krauss-Maffei's. You are correct, HO. Good idea to listen to the sound files from the manufacturers.

Finally getting my hands on a Division Point Krauss-Maffei (D&RGW - early edition). Currently it is DC only, so looking for recommendations on a sound decoder and speaker to convert to DCC. I saw a youtube video using the LokSound V4.0; sounded good, but the video was from 2014 so not sure if something newer may be more appropriate.
I would think the limitation would be ones that come with sound for a dual V16 Maybach MD870 prime mover, or one that the proper sound clips can be user uploaded.

Edit - hmm looks like you posted while I was composing and hunting for some sound clips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think the limitation would be ones that come with sound for a dual V16 Maybach MD870 prime mover, or one that the proper sound clips can be user uploaded.

Edit - hmm looks like you posted while I was composing and hunting for some sound clips.

Funny you mention the limitation ... that's why I mentioned "adapted." From the LokSound files description:

LokSound said:
So this one is close... It is built from a DB Class V 162 which uses a similar V16 Maybach (Mercedes-Benz) four stroke diesel engine and Voith hydraulic transmission.

Horns and bells have been updated to North American prototypes.

Default horn is the Nathan P3 believed to be appropriate for the SP prototype.

I would avoid the Tsunami 1 decoders which were replaced with Tsunami 2 about a year ago, but I'd suggest Loksound instead.

Back