Brass Repair?

ianacole

Purchased this off ebay (OMI 4229.1) and didn't notice the damage in the pics as he stated in the description that it was "new and undamaged," and I was overly excited to find one. The seller has been real good about it and offered to fund the repairs. Is this damage repairable? It looks like it was dropped on the corner and the damage as I can see:

• Corner bent
  • Upright broken off
  • Walkway supports disconnected
  • Paint damage

Is this worth attempting to repair. I would have taken this to Caboose Hobbies locally to have them take a look, but they've recently changed ownership and location, and the new owners haven't built out their repair facility as of yet (projected 1.5 months out).

To be honest, if this is not repairable I'll end up keeping it and try to find another one. The rest of the caboose is just beautifully detailed and I don't think the damage would be highly noticeable when running around the layout.

Attachments

• 20170426_074917.jpg
    20170426_074917.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 20170426_074928.jpg
    20170426_074928.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 148
Ian:

If it were me I would ask the seller for a refund.

Why pay for the repairs? It looks like a great model.

Greg

Ian:

If it were me I would ask the seller for a refund.

Why pay for the repairs? It looks like a great model.

Greg

If it were a normal production model, that would happen without a doubt. But there were only 89 of these made according to BrassTrains.com, and seeing these come up for sale is very infrequent, hence the dilemma. If I knew I could replace it tomorrow it'd be a no-brainer.

I'd negotiate a partial refund now. Not sure what you paid but there is a couple hours worth of work there. This model was dropped or fell off the layout. There is a couple of hours work here to get it back to factory new condition. Probably in the hundred dollar range, but that's a SWAG.

I'd negotiate a partial refund now. Not sure what you paid but there is a couple hours worth of work there. This model was dropped or fell off the layout. There is a couple of hours work here to get it back to factory new condition. Probably in the hundred dollar range, but that's a SWAG.

Thanks for the SWAG. The seller has offered to fund the repairs.

Find someone who can repair, send them photos of the damage and ask for a price. If the seller agrees to the price, have the seller send the refund, then get it fixed. Sounds simple to me; but, have your ducks walking in a straight line first.

Back