Built my first control panel

ianacole

I've been sidelined for a bit on my MRR, but have been able to get back and do some things. I've had the track work done for awhile now, but I've been unable to devote any time to the next step, which is getting the switching infrastructure in place. This required two things... figuring out how to control the Tortoise switch machines, and figuring out how the Tortoise linkage will work to control the turnouts. I've gotten the latter part pretty well figured out, so it was time to start on the first part.

I've never built a control panel before, but had some ideas, and took my first stab at it. Since it's been so long since I've had a meaningful contribution here, I figured I'd document the process I went through and the results. The link below will take you to the gallery, and if you click on the first image in the upper left, you can get the full size image, and my notes on each step will be in the upper right. The final image is a video demonstration of the panel working (although this doesn't seem to be working appropriately):

Control Panel Gallery

Here's a teaser pic:

DSC01048.JPG

And here's the video:

[video=vimeo;83406777]https://vimeo.com/83406777[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, switches might be a little close to each other.
What are you using for power?

Here's the overhead from my previous layout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VOypDQkfc4
I use the NCE "switch it's" to throw the switches from the DT400 controller.
No resisters are used for the LED's just wired in line with the Tortoises.

Wow that looks good Ian. I'm glad to hear you are making some progress on your layout! Get them trains rollin'.

Rico: just a 12VDC 5A wall wart from radio shack. Yah, those couple of switches are a little close, and will accommodate on future panels (2 more to build). I love your control panel and will get there some day ;)

Thanks Mike. Trains have been running for a bit, but have been spending a lot of time cleaning up less than ideal track spots. It's good to get something accomplished that can be easily seen.

Rico: those "Switch-its" look pretty cool. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like track power is the power source for the machines. Certainly makes things cleaner. Do you have any video or images of how you wired them inline and mounted them?

05Slowbalt: Thanks!

Ian let me see what pics are left since the great pc crash of 2012.
As for the LED's they're just bicolors wired inline with one of the leads to the tortoises.

Back