Building Limited Edition Kits

ianacole

I picked up a number of craftsman kits, along with some other stuff, through a CL ad tonight. One of the kits was The Pozo Shafthouse by Link & Pin Models, apparently produced in Aug. 1989. This kit was limited to 500 (serial number on instructions is 105). It looks like it was purchased then put on a shelf - everything is in immaculate shape, including the box.

So, a bit of an academic question as I don't have a place for this on my layout right now, so it's going in my closet, but would you build it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine Scale Models kits from Peabody, Mass., seem to command a premium on the resale market. Haven't noticed that trend so much with any other brand. But I'd rather build than collect.

I have many limited edition and rare kits. I build them , cause that's what they were made for, not to sit on a shelf, in the box.

I would have to agree with the above. Yes it may be special and have collector value, but it was meant to be showcased in its built state. Having it on a shelf in a closet in a box, seems to defeat its purpose and relegates it to maybe never beeing seen, experienced or enjoyed.

As a collector of many things, I have had my fair struggles with this same decision, and I have to say; whenever I can, I get up close and personal with my collections so that they werent purchased in vain only to be packed away and collecting dust. For if all they are going to do is spend their lives in a put away state - why did we buy them?

Realising of course that it may not suit your layout in its present state, there is no harm in enjoying the build and placing it on display in a glass cabinet until the time it is called into service. Enjoy it, that's why you bought.

So you buy something that is a collectors edition and put it on a shelf unopened.
Eventually you sell it or give it to a grandchild as part of an inheritance.

They put it away and never open it because it's a collectors item.

Eventually they sell it or give it away and the cycle goes on indefinitely and no one ever enjoys it for what it was meant to be enjoyed as.

Yeh, that sounds like a great plan.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's going to get built ... I'm a builder, not a collector. It's just way down on the priority list right now since it doesn't have a place on my layout. And, I have a lot of other projects in queue. I do like the idea of building it as a diorama and building a display around it.

The fact that this is a limited edition kit just got me to wondering what others thought ...

I buy kits because they will suit my plans on the layout. I have 3 Fine Scale Miniature kits, Ezra Coopers Garage, Old Time Freight House, and Branch Line Railcar Shed. The Freight House is built and on the railroad. The Railcar shed is still in the box but eventually will find itself built and in place. Coopers Garage I bought exclusivley for the half a bazillion detail castings in it to be used all over the railroad. The building itself is just too big so sooner or later I'll reduce and bash it into something I can fit size wise. All of these were bought when they were first released.

I don't know of anyone who ever got rich or retired early from what they made by hanging onto limited edition kits until the prices went crazy.

Another view, if I may...

I totally agree with the votes for building the kits and displaying them. But one thought about not building them -- if, for some reason you do not build the kit, it still retains some value. I've noticed some of the prices the FSM kits garner on the open market. And quite frankly, I'm astounded! They are WAY out of my price range! Now, this is not a criticism -- this is our hobby, to be experienced in the way each of us choose (or can afford, money-, space- and time-wise).

My point is -- this is (generally) not a hobby where the products lose much of their "value" as time and usage goes by. My wife and I tease each other -- like many women, she loves shoes -- but I've told her that if I should pass away before she does, she can hopefully turn my collection into a nice chunk of change. :D But if she should depart before I do -- I don't suppose I'd get much of anything for her shoes! :(

So if you build the kit and enjoy it -- great!! But if you don't build it, and decide one day to sell it, you should get at least a reasonable return of your $$$.

(Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary. ;))

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Tom has a good point in saying at least you won't lose anything if you never build a kit and eventually sell it. Even kits that have remained in production for decades like Campbell kits can gain you something just by inflation alone. I have a Campbell Silver Spur mine still untouched and unbuilt. Original price I paid was $18.95 and today it retails for over $80.00!:eek: Might not have much trouble selling it for $40 if I wanted to unload it. Before anyone asks - NO it is not for sale. ;)

To be honest Tom, I don't know what I'd do with a shoe collection either.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I hope I never have to find out!

But I suppose I could get a few dogs -- they'd always have old shoes to chew on! :D

Regards,
Tom

Back