Search results

1. N

Cheap HO Steam Engines

Whats up with these cheap steam locomotives on ebay? Been toying with the idea of getting one or two steam locomotives to run. They don't have to be fancy or anything......as long as they run somewhat smooth. I have modern diesels and usually buy Atlas and such for higher quality.....but steam I...
  2. N

Anybody use a CMX Track Cleaning Car?

These look pretty nice....thinking on getting one. They are high priced.....$125 for one. http://youtu.be/-ayNElS9N_A This guy uses one....uses Goo Gone with it. Looks simple enough. Also seen the Centerline car with the roller. Both are high, but appear to work well. I kind of like the...
  3. N

Packing peanuts

I have a large box full of packing peanuts....the ones shaped like cheese doodles. Wondering if anybody has found a good use for them on a layout? Wife was getting ready to throw them away, but I told her I wanted to keep them a day or two. I do need to fill out some hardwood trees I'm making...
  4. N

Airbrushing poly fiber

Anybody ever airbrushed Poly fiber. Not talking about woodland scenic fiber, but regular white poly fiber. I want some that's a brown or gray color to fill out some trees I'm making.
  5. N

Needing Plastic Wheels

I'm wanting to get 20-30 plastic wheel sets....to remove the wheels from the axles for the scrap yard. I have some, but not enough to make a decent pile. Most of my cars came with metal wheels, so I haven't had to change many. I have some old metal wheels I don't like, using them as old wheels...
  6. N

Hob-e-Tac Issue

Any of you guys had any issues with Hob-e-Tac? Followed the instructions....brushed it on the limbs kind of thick, let it set for 15-20 minutes until it starts to get clear and very tacky. Dipped the tree into the foam, shook off excess, pressed the foam onto the limbs to help stick the foam to...
  7. N

HO scale tires, for junk pile

What's something that could make some good HO scale tires? Read somewhere....thinking it was a post on here, about somebody buying some rubber tubing and slicing it up making old tires. Tried to search for the post with no luck....read about it recently.
  8. N

Hardwood Trees question

Just came in from gathering up alot of "real" tree's in my backyard. I'm doing a fall layout.....so want alot of hardwoods to show fall color along with the pine trees for green. Did a brief search on here about using twigs.....but didn't see an actual post on preserving the twigs.... I did...
  9. N

Tire ruts in mud

I'm modeling a pulpwood yard on my layout. Using ground goop for the mud/dirt area around the yard. Wanting some tie marks/ruts around in the yard from trucks and loaders. I have an HO scale truck, and an HO scale Cat Front end loader......but don't want to ruin them by "driving" them around in...
  10. N

Question about a wye

I have a wye on my layout, one leg is insulated on each end. I have no power running to it at all. I have a second power supply/throttle......thinking on running just the one leg with that power supply. Have the direction set for which ever direction the train is going with the locos enter the...
  11. N

Paint thinning method, and cleaning airbrush

Been reading alot about airbrush paints. For weathering, would some of the Createx paints work? I want to use some of the Floquil railroad colors for track weathering though. What is a good thinner to use with that paint. Also, what is a good cleaner for it? I've been wanting to do a bit of...
  12. N

Natural ground cover materials

How many of you use natural materials for ground cover? I'm wanting to go out tomorrow and try to gather some stuff to sift and use. I plan to run a magnet through whatever I get. Question is.....where do you guys usually go? Creek beds, normal soil, etc.?
  13. N

What makes Athearn locomotive "sluggish"

I started an HO layout about 10 years ago.....had 10-12 Athearn blue box engines. All but maybe 2 of them were fairly sluggish. Never finished the layout, moved and sold everything thinking it would be years before I could start another one. Well, about a year ago I started planning my current...
  14. N

Pastels

How many of you guys use pastels to weather? I've seen some really good results in photos where pastels were used. Especially doing rust. What do most of you do....buy pastel powder or just shave some powder from pastel sticks with a razor? Whats a good brand, both in powder and stick form?
  15. N

Airbrush Question

Thinking on getting an airbrush in the near future. I dont have an air compressor or anything. What all do I need an what "approx" could I expect to spend on a decent brush and compressor. Decent as in not top of the line....but will do what I want on painting, weathering, etc. Heard that...
  16. N

Layout Progress

I'm doing a freelance layout, modern period for the most part. The only things that won't be modern be be the use of some GP7's and 9's.....and the older style pulpwood cars that look like bulkhead flats. Other than that, all cars are modern.....and modern engines. 95% of my track work is down...
  17. N

Ready to start base scenery. Question about methods....and how to make "mud"

I have a section of the layout that has the terrain sculpted and plaster cloth is down. What step do you guys take next? Some type of ground goop, paint the cloth and then apply glue and ground cover, etc I will probably just paint the plaster cloth a base color, dark green or brown, depending...
  18. N

Making a tarp

I'm making a large H&W flat car load. Wanting it to be tarped. Problem is.....what can I use to make a realistic looking tarp?
  19. N

Issues with a 2 way turnout shorting

Issues with a 3 way turnout shorting I have a 3 way turnout on the layout....have some serious issues with the thing. Causes a short anytime ANY locomotive goes through it, no matter how it's lined. Tried every combination of lines routes, still shorts. If I don't run any engine through it, all...
  20. N

Water for a pond

I've tinkered with a couple layouts in the past, never got to the point of doing any actual scenery though. Now that I have a decent sized layout in my basement (climate controlled), I'm looking to actually finish one.....eventually that is. Wasn't going to have any water at first, but I was...

Back