Cheap HO Steam Engines

Whats up with these cheap steam locomotives on ebay? Been toying with the idea of getting one or two steam locomotives to run. They don't have to be fancy or anything......as long as they run somewhat smooth. I have modern diesels and usually buy Atlas and such for higher quality.....but steam I don't really care. Anyway, I've seen some end on ebay for $10-$20 shipped....brand new. They are Bachmann......are they crap....or just less detailed and such. I plan to get at least one high quality steam engine in the future....but for now just would like a runner or two. I've never had a steam engine.....and was under the impression that they would cost alot more then diesels due to more moving parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy the latest in Bachmann's new budget series; the 2-6-0 with sound decoder.
I got one for Christmas. Lovely machine with very good sound, and priced at $99 it can never be a bad deal!

One is definitely taking a chance with the purchasing a new-in-the-box HO steam locomotive that lists for well under $100, especially a Model Power, or Bachmann. Both of these companies offers a line of inexpensive 'toy' trains which is probably what you are refering to in your post, but one is much, much better off purchasing from a more up-scale line. Yes, occasionally the hobbyist may be fortunate enough to receive a good performing example, but this is hardly the rule.

The latest 2-6-0 , along with the Spectrum 2-8-0 in Bachmann's line, are good running, fairly well detailed choices for small HO steam priced at or slightly under $100 (see eBay, etc.). IHC used to offer a line of quite reasonably priced small steamers, but they are history now and I have recently observed that IHC prices on eBay have about doubled in the past year.

NYW&B

IHC used to offer a line of quite reasonably priced small steamers, but they are history now and I have recently observed that IHC prices on eBay have about doubled in the past year.

NYW&B

IHC is back in business. This is the website http://www.ihc-hobby.com/

Looks like Mehano found a new NA distributor, when the original IHC owner, Bernie Paul died and the business folded, Mehano made a statement that as soon as they found a new distributor for their products, they would be shipping.

They have brought back the 2-6-0, 2-10-2, 2-8-2, and 2 versions of the 4-6-2's. They also have a 0-8-0, 2-6-2, 2-6-0. They also carry several other manufacturers products, like B'mann, Atlas etc.

While their MSRP prices are much higher than the previous versions, their street price will still be below $100.

They are still great little engines for the price and some of then even makes a good basis for re-detailing into a specific prototype engine.

I think Bachmann management has taken a new strategy of high quality but keeping prices low. I have a 2-10-2 with sound I got last year for $150. Runs great, sounds great, looks great (to me) I see another thread on the Schabel car they just released. That's not something they would have done a few years ago. Yet they are not abandoning their old market, they still have the Thomas and Plasticville offerings. I think the hardest thing for them will be convincing a lot of the model railroad community that they are offering quality products.

^I told ya, ya should have got two of 'em.

Oh well, I guess double heading with the Bigboy is just as good.

Back