Anybody use a CMX Track Cleaning Car?

These look pretty nice....thinking on getting one. They are high priced.....$125 for one.

http://youtu.be/-ayNElS9N_A

This guy uses one....uses Goo Gone with it. Looks simple enough. Also seen the Centerline car with the roller. Both are high, but appear to work well. I kind of like the CMX though.

It's rather expensive. Goo Gone will leave a residue (a yellowish film) so I would recommend that you use straight rubbing alcohol.

The Centerline ones work OK, but since it's a roller and doesn't provide much friction on the railhead, it's not the best.

In my experience it's easiest to clean rails by hand.

I have one and use rubbing alcohol in it. You can use something stronger because the tank and drip system is made of brass. Some of the cheaper ones use plastic witch will melt with stronger chemicals. I try to use it as more of a preventive maintenance type thing and not wait till your having issues.

Just be careful.... If it won't melt your cleaning car, it might melt your ties!

Alcohol is safe as long as you don't get it on anything painted.

There is a value you use to adjust the amount of drips per min. You just want to keep the pad damp but not wet. You also want to keep the car moving so that your cleaning chemical can evaporate and dose not pool on the track.

Yeah but if the alcohol cleans the wheels where does that dirt go?
I use Goo Gone if there is crud built up in an area, but as Eric said it will leave residue. I use Alcohol to clean that up later.
I use a rail cleaning product in a centerline car and it works great, I'd like to see the CMX in person one day.
I also have a couple of cars with abrasive pads for in between cleans.

If you notice a lot of buildup on loco wheels run them over a J cloth or paper towel with cleaner on it, that way the goo doesn't get spread around.

To clean wheels, I take a paper towel, fold it in half, (or rip it in half before you fold it in half if you have short wheelbase locos) soak it in alcohol, and place it on the tracks. Run the train over it a few times and you'll have clean wheels.

Back