Pastels

How many of you guys use pastels to weather? I've seen some really good results in photos where pastels were used. Especially doing rust. What do most of you do....buy pastel powder or just shave some powder from pastel sticks with a razor? Whats a good brand, both in powder and stick form?

I use weathering powders that are made for the purpose. The advantage over pastels is that weathering powders contain adhesives that help them stay in place.

For those who use pastels, I think the most common practice is to scrape pastel sticks as you suggest.

- Jeff

I use weathering powders that are made for the purpose. The advantage over pastels is that weathering powders contain adhesives that help them stay in place.

For those who use pastels, I think the most common practice is to scrape pastel sticks as you suggest.

- Jeff

Just wondering. My LHS is 30 miles away and closed on Sun and Mon. I have several large craft stores near me....AC Moore, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. Don't know if any of those sell pastels not in stick form. Wanting to do some work on the layout tomorrow and test some pastels.

I use weathering powders from Bragdon plus scrapping pastel sticks with an Xacto for other colors.
The brand of pastel sticks isn't that important as I use Rembrandt, Alphcolor and Nupastel from Weber Costello and pastels from Eberhard Faber.
Sets or individual sticks from the local art supply or craft store. Online try Dick Blick or Danial Smith.

Here are some good tutorials weathering and using pastels.
http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/clinic/clinic.shtml

Hard pastels are what is recommended as these create a powder when scraped but if you experiment I'm sure some great results can be had with the soft and oil pastels.

Good deal. I'm gonna have to order some online. Went to 3 big art stores, they only had packs.....about 90% I wouldn't use the colors. Wanting to buy some singles.

Back