Issues with a 2 way turnout shorting

Issues with a 3 way turnout shorting

I have a 3 way turnout on the layout....have some serious issues with the thing. Causes a short anytime ANY locomotive goes through it, no matter how it's lined. Tried every combination of lines routes, still shorts. If I don't run any engine through it, all is good. Whats up?? Should I just rip the thing out and trash it? Useless to me as it is.

Bought it on ebay "like new" 8-9 months ago. Not sure of the maker, code 70 rail.....but it's metal frogs....they appear to be insulated...but I think it has some power routing also. Once it shorts, I can move the engine away from the turnout, when turning up the throtte again, the red light on the throttle goes very dim. I line the first set of point for the straight or left hand route, and the light goes bright red and the engine takes off fine. But no matter how it's lined....any combination, and engine will not go through it without arcing around the wheels and a short circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 3 way turnout on the layout....have some serious issues with the thing. Causes a short anytime ANY locomotive goes through it, no matter how it's lined. Tried every combination of lines routes, still shorts. If I don't run any engine through it, all is good. Whats up?? Should I just rip the thing out and trash it? Useless to me as it is. (QUOTE)

First thing you need to do is check it w/a Volt Meter to see where the short is.

Second thing is to feed power to it only from the point end, and gap all rails on the other. This sounds like a power routing turnout.

Ill have to try that. Right now I have feeders on the facing track leading up to the turnout, and on the left and right routes. I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow

Back