Question about a wye

I have a wye on my layout, one leg is insulated on each end. I have no power running to it at all. I have a second power supply/throttle......thinking on running just the one leg with that power supply. Have the direction set for which ever direction the train is going with the locos enter the leg....then stop...reverse direction on the main power supply, and run the locos out the other end. Would that work?

It should work. If the one uniquely powered leg is truly isolated from the rest of the wye, then it should work, providing the polarity is right for the direction you want the locomotive to move.

Its completely isolated. I would place an engine on that leg to get my direction right and mark the direction on the power supply so it wouldn't ever be set wrong. I know there are other ways of doing this....but don't really know anything about it.

Its completely isolated. I would place an engine on that leg to get my direction right and mark the direction on the power supply so it wouldn't ever be set wrong. I know there are other ways of doing this....but don't really know anything about it.

Basically you are only using the direction switch from your second power supply, the rest is redundant. You could instead connect the tail of the wye your power supply with a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch. It has 6 terminals on the bottom but is easy to wire up. Google "dpdt to wire reverse loop" and you will find articles, photos and videos of how to do it.

Alternately, you could use the contacts on a Tortise switch motor to correct the polarity for you. If using Atlas style switch motors you could use an Atlas Relay to correct the polarity. It would be wired to throw with the switch machine.

Back