Water for a pond

I've tinkered with a couple layouts in the past, never got to the point of doing any actual scenery though. Now that I have a decent sized layout in my basement (climate controlled), I'm looking to actually finish one.....eventually that is. Wasn't going to have any water at first, but I was carving down into the foam to lay a spur that went below ground level. Well, changed my mind on that, but still had a hole. I used a utility knife and shaped up the hole a bit thinking I would just cut a piece of foam to fill it back in. Then I though, a pond wouldn't look bad there.....

Roughly 15" by 7", and 1/2 inch deep. Bottom is flat, as I went ahead and cut the foam to the plywood. Thinking of laying in some plaster cloth, then making sure it's sealed with a thin layer of wall joint mud. Painting it, dark in the middle and work lighter towards the edges.

I don't really want any water effects on the surface (ripples, etc).....just a nice smooth surface. I plan to add small rocks around the edges in the shallow, just barely visible under the water. I plan to have an old log or two sticking up out of it too. Wanting some weeds around the edges, and thinking on scratch building a small wooden pier. Wouldn't mind a few Lilly pads....how would I go about making those? Paper cut outs with an xacto knife?

What would you guys recommend for my water? I saw the WS Realistic water in my LHS, but would one bottle be enough?? The stuff is $18 per bottle. Heard the kind you melt down and pour can turn yellow. I don't want a yellow pond....wouldn't mind a shade of green maybe...but not yellow. Also heard of using clear caulk. Not sure how I would get a smooth surface from that though.....could it work as a filler in the deeper areas though?

Don't get the WS Realistic water, it shrinks too much.

I recommend getting the Magic Water, it doesn't shrink at all, and the results are amazing. I originally tried the WS, and didn't like it, so I poured the Magic Water over it on my creeks and ponds. The finish is mirror like, and hard. Unlike the WS stuff, which is soft, and can get dents.

http://www.unrealdetails.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101&Itemid=10

What I did, was cut out the 2" foam base using a kitchen knife. Then I used plaster patching (from Home Depot), and painted it a sandy brown latex paint, to seal the bottom. When the paint was still wet, I placed riverbed rocks. The creek is about 1/2" deep. I poured it in 3 separate thin layers.

IMG_0627.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That does look good! Sounds like I'll avoid the WS water, don't want it soft, tacky, or anything else. How is the stuff you recommend price wise? Would one bottle of it be enough for the size pond I mentioned? Also, is it "ready to pour" or does OT require some prepping? Also heard of guys using polyurothene or however its spelled.

Thanks Roy. Once I get the scenery around it completed, it should look better.

You can get either a 6oz or 18oz size. I provided a link in my post. Your LHS might have it.

For you size pond, you'll probably need the 18oz size.

It's a two part system. It has two separate bottles. When you are ready to pour, mix them first. It comes with detailed instructions.

Somehow missed this thread when it was active..... Hope it's not too late to chime in on it.

I use Envirotex Lite. It is a 2 part polimer used for thick looking glossy effects on table tops, wooden clocks and the like. It is mixed in equal parts, and then poured at 1/8" per pour. You can do as many pours as you like to get the depth you need. Mixed correctly it dries rock hard and it can be tinted with colors made for it as well. Here is a pond on the SLOW that was originally poured with the WS stuff. It never did dry completely and afetr a couple years of dust accumulated on it, I covered it with a pour of the Envirotex.

10IcePondRepour_w.png

Back