Search results

1. mike8693

You'd never think the zoo would be dangerous...

http://www.wlky.com/news/19625792/detail.html
  2. mike8693

New Track Plan

Just wanted to get some input on my new track plan. We are movig so I had to take the old layout down :(, but the good news is that the new train room is has 4 walls so I can do an around the walls layout. The room is roughly 24 by 11. Im leaving the last 4 feet of the room for storage, tunnel...
  3. mike8693

Who said styrene was so great?

It may not be superdetailed craftsman kits but come on toothpicks! (The video is in the right corner) http://www.fox41.com/Global/story.asp?s=10051987
  4. mike8693

Ok, what did I do?

Last night my locos were running fine. I went to turn them on this morning and they wouldnt move. The lights stayed on and when you told them to turn off they would stay on. I couldnt get them to move. I reset the decoders and reprogramed them but I couldnt get anything. I am using a Mrc Prodigy...
  5. mike8693

Mrc Prodigy Express Questions.

I looked over the net and couldn't find the answers (belive me 10 topics of the same thing annoys me too :D) So the layout is 17 feet by 5 feet, I want to run about 4 engines. I dont have a huge budget and would like to keep it around 250. I like the Digitrax (what everyone round here uses) but...
  6. mike8693

What are test rails?

It almost got to 50 today so I figured Id ride my bike for a change so a i rode down a few miles to some tracks, to my surprise an abandoned siding had been repaired and had some hoppers on it. I had also seen earlier a few miles down the tracks they were preparing to replace a large strectch...
  7. mike8693

Fourth times the charm right?

Well before i get any farther I'm gonna redo the layout completley once again. The reaching is fine for modeling but not for any repairs to the electrical box. I dont think the electrician would like reaching 3 1/2 feet to work on it :) so I have "pleaded my case" and have got the go ahead to...
  8. mike8693

Will dullcote fog windows?

I have always sprayed then assembled, and always wondered will dullcote fog windows? It would be so much easier to just assemble then spray. I googled it and some said yes some said no, is it dependent on brush on or spray on?
  9. mike8693

Fast Tracks Compatibility

I have been reading around and I think that I might switch from Atlas switches to Fast tracks ones. Im pretty sure they are but are atlas switches compatible with fasttracks ones? Like would they fit in my current plan? It would be quite a few months off but does anyone remember chips code for...
  10. mike8693

Foam, bracing, and bluepoints

Im using 3/4 inch foam (since the only 2 inch foam i can find in town is 35 bucks a sheet and i would need 4 :eek:) So i was wondering how much space would I be able to leave between braces so the foam won't bend? Would I be better to put a sheet of 1/2 plywood under it? I'm using 2x2's for...
  11. mike8693

My Photo Diorama

Well I was reading CIORs excellent thread and it got me thinking... I started around 7 tonight and it took me about 5 hours, mainly waiting for glues and paints to dry. I used everything I already had on hand so its pretty basic ( I was out of sculptamold and joint compound so I had to use...
  12. mike8693

Bachmann Doodle Bugs

So i've found a bachmann spectrum doodlebug that is dcc ready, brand new. I was wondering the following: 1. How "DCC ready" is it? Just plug in a decoder? 2. What would be a resonable price to pay 3. The new models from bachmann include a 72' ft passenger car. Didn't they run often with no car...
  13. mike8693

Faller car system

SO I'm confused. If I buy a starter set from hobbylinc or walthers will the charger work on us outlets or will I need like the 10 dollar adapter from radio shack? Also does anyone know where I can download the directions (in english :D) for some of the accesories like the traffic lights and stop...
  14. mike8693

Cheaper Creeper?

I have found the topside creeper for 165 plus shipping. Basically your buying a 20 dollar step stool and paying 145 bucks for two pieces of square tubbing and 4 wheels. So my question does anyone know of any products like it but cheaper?
  15. mike8693

The unnamed layout build and design thread

So I did it. I finally took the plunge and demolished the old layout. As of 10:30 pm last night: as of 2:30 am and currently, still have some clean up but I was able to save all wood but a 2x4's worth and most track. so the new layout is still in the planning stages but I...
  16. mike8693

Getting the coals out of the cars.

I am modeling mid 60's. How did they get the coal out of the cars? I'm bad at scratch building so I really need a model. I love the rotary dumper on walthers website for 40 bucks but since its out of production it is any where from 160 to 300 at the few places that have it. :eek::eek::eek: I...
  17. mike8693

Any one have this article? Thoughts, comments?

Plain and simply my layout sucks. Unreliable track, tight curves, and limited building space so before I spend more time and money I think I'm gonna tear down and build a new one. So the plan I really like is the one below. Would anyone be so kind :D and scan the article from Oct. 07 and post...
  18. mike8693

Uses for spare foam.

I scaled back my plans alot and ended up with like 4 spare sheets of foam. Anyone have any ideas what to do with them. I have made some card display cases. I made 3 the one in the pic is cards from my most recent disney and detroit trip.
  19. mike8693

To keep or not to keep.

I was in a rush to lay down my foam and get rid of the blue mess. I made this tunnel and was going to put in a retaining wall and a building up against it. If i keep it i will close it around the portals but I was thinking about cutting it off, it doesn't look as good as hoped. What do yall think?
  20. mike8693

DCC poer expansion

DCC power questions Sorry I am really basic on my dcc knowledge. I am looking at the Nce power cab and the Mrc prodigy express. I am like broke so thats about as advanced as I can afford. My question is I have a 5 amp Nce power supply can I add it on to either system?

Back