The unnamed layout build and design thread

mike8693

So I did it. I finally took the plunge and demolished the old layout.
As of 10:30 pm last night:
GEDC0241.jpg

as of 2:30 am

GEDC0243.jpg

and currently, still have some clean up but I was able to save all wood but a 2x4's worth and most track.

GEDC0244.jpg

so the new layout is still in the planning stages but I think i'm close to starting the construction. I'm off for 18 days at x mas so hopefully i'll get the benchwork done. I think the final plan will be very close to this.

layoutnew.jpg

So what do you think of the plan? The tracks in the yard are 1 inch rail to rail, is that to close? So the the tracks at the bottom left go to the mine. The mine's main customer is the power company at the upper right. The other two siding will probably some smaller factories that go to the yard and are sent out to other towns. the other buildings were just stuck there not final position.

New layout plan

Hi Mike

I guess the plan is not to scale. If it is then the radius for the horse shoe curve is about 20 inches. Is that right? It’s very similar to my lower deck plan but without the double main and extra yards. I like it.

NYC_George

Actually the plan is to scale. The curves are a minimum of 22 inches but it will be all freight ops, so it works for me. The turnouts are all number 6's.

Looks good and with the high benchwork toss the bed put the mattress on the floor and double the layout size. LOL just kidding and good luck!

Do you have a vision for what you are trying to accomplish or are you just drawing track you think looks good?

lol that has crossed my mind. Once I get this built I think I will be able to talk my way into moving the bed so I can extend the layout.... the fun part will be the fishtank move. Maybe the world first plexiglass model railroad aquarium tunnel?

Well for the most part I'm trying to get the operation I want in the space I have. I'm trying to go for a mining town that the town has grown up around. I'm thinking eastern Kentucky 1964 ish.

First, Mike good job on the demolition. If I had been using power tools at 2:30 in the morning, I would have body parts punctured or missing. :)

If your layout is eastern Kentucky in the 60's, where are the coal mines? How about the hollows and elevation changes? Are you planning a company town around a mine and tipple or what? That may all be in your plan but I don't see it. Also, I have to wonder about the turntable and yard. Most places I've been in eastern Kentucky are lucky to have enough flat ground for a small yard and a wye, let alone a roundhouse and turntable. It's hard for me to visualize how you are going to build this with enough space for scenery to convince the viewer he was in Appalachia.

I sleep maybe 4 hours a night the way I think is why sleep your life away? I'm lucky to get what I did from xtrkcad very computer challenged, I'll print off a copy work on it and scan it in tomorro. I'm not as crazy as I seem :).

Ok so I am gonna sound really stupid but here goes. All my layouts in the past have been rectangles, so what would be the easiest way to build the benchwork? I have like 40 4 foot 2x4's left from last layout so I would like to use them if possible. I was thinking maybe take like 16 foot 2x4s and make two matching frames around the perimeter then add in braces and attach legs then the plywood. Wow even I found that confusing. What I mean is on the floor make the perimeter of the entire layout then add braces across. Then screw on my legs then build the perimeter attached to the top of the legs and put on the plywood. Sorry still confusing, its like building a house start with the foundation, build the walls then the floor of the next story. I'm sure there is a simpler way but I have finals next monday and tuesday, and I have to work on my case which I have to have done by wendsday, Stop the world I want to get off... Point, my mental capacity right now is that of an acorn... Also the concrete leaked when a past owner had it so I dont want to attach anything to the walls to prevent any damage. All input welcomed

Last edited by a moderator:
...So what do you think of the plan? The tracks in the yard are 1 inch rail to rail, is that to close? So the the tracks at the bottom left go to the mine. The mine's main customer is the power company at the upper right. The other two siding will probably some smaller factories that go to the yard and are sent out to other towns. the other buildings were just stuck there not final position.

Mike;

I'd say since you are planning for just freight ops, that overall, the plan seems like a good start. I would find a way to include an interchange track of some kindat the minimum! If possible maybe even a small staging yard. The problem is, there is no way on the current plan to include a place where cars can go to or from the "rest of the world". I mean, how did that Union Pacific boxcar of machinery for the power plant, get on your rails? It certainly didn't materialize magically!;)

The one inch track centers for the yard are too close. Since you're using #6 turnouts, unless you're gonna cut their length down, depending on the brand, their geometry will dictate the yard track centers. The centers on most commercial #6 turnouts will come out at ~2".

Think about where else your coal mine output, and the other industries output will go. What kind of loads will their raw materials be? What do you do with the empties? You have the beginnings of a viable concept, but it can stand to be improved upon, hence my suggestion of an interchange of some kind at the minimum.:)

Mike, your plan for benchwork sounds perfectly logical to me. My only concern would be getting the perimeter boards and cross braces to be absolutely level and plumb so you have a good working surface to mount your plywood to. Once the plywood is secured to the frame, use a big carpenter's level to check again and sand down any high spots. Spending some time on this part of your benchowrk will pay big dividends later.

I've built benchwork a couple different ways and it turned out pretty good. I cut the plywood to size first then attached the 2x2's around the edges and down the middle then made legs for it. The other way I did it was made the frame work then just laid my foam on that without plywood. Not sure that helps but just some other options for you.

I'd add a passing siding by the yard for runarounds and meets.
Looks like a plan you can add to as you go.

I did a little work on the plan and this is my most current version. The layout connects to the outside world through the siding at the top left of it. Eventually this will lead to another yard and a few sidings or atleast some staging.
layoutnew3.jpg

lol that has crossed my mind. Once I get this built I think I will be able to talk my way into moving the bed so I can extend the layout.... the fun part will be the fishtank move. Maybe the world first plexiglass model railroad aquarium tunnel?

Tunnel through a fish tank....It has been done before! I seen a pic of it a long time ago in a MR issue! I've had my fair share of moving my 75 and 90 gallon salt water aquariums!

wow. That must be some sight. I think it would scare the crap out of my fish. That would be so cool to make like the Atlantis Railroad in an aquarium. =)

U would think the fish would get scared! I had a mini RC sub in my old fresh water african tank............The fish attacked the sub!

You can do a tunnel easily with and acrylic tank and a acrylic tube big enough for the train to pass through!

Wow my cichlids head for the rocks if I get within 10 feet. I need to get in there and change it around to screw with there territories maybe they wont be so shy.

So I think I'm ready to start building my benchwork. I still have to pick up another miter saw. My current one is only 8 inches and i need atleast a 10 in. Also I have decided to not use plywood on the top and glue the foam right to it. So i crudley layed out the outline of the layout and i cant reach as far as I could so what I'm gonna do Is raise the frame up the height of a 2x4 so I can get and use a topside creeper. So instead of flooding the forums with questions i'll post them here. SO what does everyone use for backdrops? I've read masonite but how do you cover the seems? I was thinking drywall, but If i could get away from having to finish drywall i'd do it =). Also what does everybody use for fascia boards?

Back